61. If anything urgent comes ________, you can contact me at this number.
A. across B. by C. up D. round
62. Your daughter's just started work, hasn't she? How's she getting ________?
A. by B. on C. out D. in
63. We had to turn _______ their invitation to lunch as we had a previous engagement.
A. over B. out C. up D. down
64. While driving to work, we ran out________ gas.
A. up B. of C. in D. to
65. He died ________ heart disease.
A. from B. because C. of D. in
66. The elevator is not running today. It is ________ order.
A. to B. out C. out of D. in
67. I explained ____ him what it meant.
A. to B. about C. over D. from
68. Pasteur devoted all his life _______ science.
A. for B. in C. on D. to
69. House cats are distantly related ________ lions and tigers.
A. in B. to C. of D. about
70. Is this type of soil suitable ________ growing tomatoes ?
A. for B. about C. in D. at
71. Were you aware ________ the regulations against smoking in this area ?
A. in B. with C. of D. about
72. One meter is approximately equal ________ a yard.
A. about B. on C. to D. with
73. Jane doesn't spend much money ________ clothes.
A. over B. about C. at D. on
74. She always takes good care ________ her children.
A. for B. in C. of D. with
75. William insists ________ getting up early, even on weekends.
A. on B. to C. toward D. for
76. What does this symbol refer________ ?
A. on B. to C. for D. toward
77. The accident resulted ________ several minor injuries.
A. on B. in C. of D. at
78. Congratulations ________ your success!
A. to B. on C. in D. up
79. Mrs. Liz was accused ________ having stolen the car.
A. of B. with C. in D. upon
80. We are here to provide you ________ the best service possible.
A. of B. with C. to D. for
81. He has been absent ________ school very often lately.
A. from B. on C. in D. With
82. Vehicles also account ________ air pollution in the cities.
A. on B. at C. for D. in
83. Last night I was invited ________ a formal get-together and I enjoyed myself a great deal.
A. to B. at C. for D. about
84. The police blamed the mother________ neglecting her child.
A. to B. for C. with D. of
85. They prevented me _____ talking to that woman .
A. from B. on C. with D. at
86. Take the number 7 bus and get __________ at Forest Road.
A. up B. down C. off D. outside
87. If you want to join this club, you must__________ this application form.
A. make up B. write down C. do up D. fill in
88. The water company will have to_______ off water supplies while repairs to the pipes are carried _________.
A. take/ in B. cut /out C. set / up D. break / to
89. He wanted to________ off all his work before he came to the cinema with us.
A. finish B. stop C. end D. put
90. They were 30 minutes later because their car ________ down.
A. got B. put C. cut D. broke
91. That problem is _______ them. We can’t make _______ our mind yet.
A. out off / on B. up to / up C. away from / for D. on for / off
Collocations là những cặp hoặc nhóm từ luôn luôn đi với nhau, và các cặp từ đó làm cho người bản xứ thấy câu hoặc từ đúng như cách họ dùng từ, tức khi bạn dùng Collocations đúng thì câu nó tự nhiên và đúng tiếng Anh hơn.
Chẳng hạn như bạn sẽ dùng a fast car chứ không phải là a quick car hoặc là dùng watch TV chứ không dùng look at TV
Exercise 1: Choose the best answer to fill the gap in each of the following.
1. The meeting took almost five hours so it was impossible to _______ attention all the time.
A. pay B. give C. have D. make
2. The problem is difficult to ___________ under control.
A. hold B. keep C. do D. make
3. It took us all day to clean up the office after the burglary - the thieves_________ a terrible mess.
A. did B. took C. had D. made
4. I don't think we should___________ a decision yet; we should wait.
A. make B. do C. take D. create
5. Only 31% of the students who___________ the final exam passed it.
A. had B. made C. wrote D. took
6. I think we should look for a new supplier - the one we have at the moment___________ us too many problems.
A. causes B. makes C. does D. solves
7. Could you__________ me a favour and post these letters on your way home?
A. do B. make C. give D. get
8. I've told him ten times that he's got the wrong telephone number. I'll___________ crazy if they call again.
A. go B. be C. become D. get
* go crazy: to become very excited about something
9. The company offers its employees free language training but not many people ___________ advantage of it.
A. make B. take C. do D. keep
*take advantage of sth; to use the good things in a situation
10. Our personal assistant is leaving next month - she's___________ a baby.
A. waiting B. waiting for C. making D. expecting
Exercise 2: Choose the best option A or B, C, D to complete each of the following sentences:
1. Most doctors and nurses have to work on a _______ once or twice a week at the hospital.
A. solution B. night shift C. household chores D. special dishes
2. We enjoy _______ time together in the evening when the family members gather in the living room after a day of working hard.
A. spending B. caring C. taking D. doing
4. He is a _______ boy. He is often kind and helpful to every classmate.
A. frank B. lovely C. obedient D. caring
4. According to the boss, John is the most _______ for the position of executive secretary.
A. supportive B. caring C. suitable D. comfortable