Eg. Only by practising E every day, can you speak it fluently
4. Inversions with some phrases
At no time
On no condition
On no occasion
On no account
Under/ in no circumstances
For no reason + Auxiliary+S+Verb(inf)
In no way
In Vain .
Not for one moment .
Eg. For no reason will you play traunt
The money is not tobe paid under any circumstances
= Under no circumsstances is the money to be paid
On no condition shall we accept their proposal
5. No sooner.......... than.....
Hardly/ Bearly/ Scarely........ When/ before Eg. No sooner had I arrived home than the telephone rang
Hardly had she put up her umbrella before the rain becam down in torrents
6. Not only....... but......also.....
Not only + auxiliary + S + V, but.... also.....
but S+ v/be …….. as well .
Eg .Not only is he good at E but he also draws very well
Not only does he sing well but he also plays musical instruments perfectly
Not only do they rob you , they smash everything too
7. Inversions after “SO” +So+ adj/ adv + auxiliary + S+V+ that clause
Eg. So dark is it that I can't write
So busy am I that I don't have time to look after myself
So difficult was the exam that few students pass it
So attractive is she that many boys run after her
+ so little
So much + Auxiliary+S+Verb(inf)
So + Adj
Eg. So much beer did he drink that he didn’t know the way to home
8. Inversion with”such”
SUCH + be+ N+ clause
Eg.Such was the force of the storm that all the trees were uproofed
9. Inversions after As, Than
- S + V/BE + ……, As + Auxiliary+S+Verb(inf)
Eg. I am very worried about bullying in the school, as are a lot of the parents.
- S + V/BE + the comparative than + Auxiliary+S+Verb(inf)
Eg. The police in this area make more arrests than do officers in other parts of the country .
10 .Inversions with : not untill, adverbs of time
Not until/ till+ clause/ adv of time,
Not since + auxiliary+ S+ V(inf)
I won't come home till 10 o'clock
=Not until/ till o'clock that I will come home
= It is not until 10 o'clock that I will come
Ididn't know that I had lost my key till I got home
= Not until/ till I got home did I know that I had lost my key
11. Inversions with No where+ Auxiliary+ S+V
Eg.No where in the Việt Nam is the cenery as beautiful as that in my country
No where do I feel as comfortable as I do at home
No where can you buy the goods as good as those in my country
12 .Inversions with “here and there”
- Here + Be/ Main V +N
Eg. Here comes the bus .
Here are the answers ,
There goes the bus .
Here he comes
There they arrive
**There are some idiomatic expressions with here and there
Here you are = This is for you .
Here are you .
Here we are .
There you are .
13. Inversions with Adverb,adverb phrases of place
- Adverb,adverb phrases of place + MainV+ N
Near the end of September came several bad storms
In the door stood her father
In the cave were found skulls of prehistoric men
At the head of our village stands an old pagoda
14. Inversions with prepositions
from .+ Verbs of motion + S
away … .
Eg. Away went the runner
Away they went
15. Inversions with conditional sentences
a,Type 1 : If clause = should+S+V
Eg. Should she come late she wil miss the train
should he lend me some money I will buy that house,
b,Type 2 :If clause= Were S +to V
If I were you I would work harder
=Were I you........
If I knew her I would invite her to the party
= Were I to know her.......
C, Type 3 : If clause = Had+S+PII
If my parents hadn't encouraged me, I would have taken pass exam
= Had my parents not encouraged me....
16 . Inversions with Adjectives and past participle
Gone were the memorable days
17. Inversions with Adverb of Order ( first, second)
Eg . First came the ambulance
* PHẦN II: BÀI TẬP VẬN DỤNG I. Choose the best answer (5 points)
Only when he started working with her, ____that she was intelligent.
A he had realized B did he realize C he did realized D he realized
____worked outside the home as nowadays.
A Never so many women have B Never have so many women
C The women are not never D The women who have never
No longer____any pleasure to do this job.
A I do have B do I have C do have I D I have
John stops smoking.
A John does not smoke no longer B John smokes any longer
A you will know B will you know C you know D do you know
No sooner had he arrived home____he was called out again.
A when B and C than D but
____had the restaurant opened____people were flocking to eat there .
A Hardly… than B No sooner..that C No sooner..than D hardly.. that
Down____for three days.
A the rain poured B did the rain pour C poured the rain D do the rain pour
Out ____the children when the bell rang.
A did the children run B ran the children C run the children D do the children run
Such____that he would stop at nothing.
A his ambition was B did his ambition C does his ambition D was his ambition
Only once____late to school.
A he came B did he came C came he D did he come
He no longer collects stamps as he used to. No longer____
A he collects stamps as he used to B does he collects stamps as he used to
C does he collect stamps as he used to D doesn’t he collect stamps as he used to it.
____, all the matter is formed of molecules.
A It doesn’t matter if the complex B It’s not a complex matter
C No matter how complex it is D How complex is not a matter
No more ____to worry about the future sources of energy.
A don’t we have B we don’t have C do we have D we do have
Hardly____asleep when the phone woke him up again.
A had the doctor fallen B did the doctor fall C the doctor fell D the doctor has fallen
Not until darkness fell____he hadn’t done half of his work.
A that he realized B did he realize C that he didn’t realize D didn’t he realize
Seldom____of Nancy Johnson as coloured.
A her classmates thought B thought her classmates
C her classmates did think D did her school classmates think
18. On the hill ____ a big pine tree.
A stands B stand C. does D. standing
19. Not once ____ into her eyes.
A he looked B does he looks C. did he look D. he was looking
20. Not until next year____ take place.
A the new tax change will B will the new tax change
C. the new tax changes D. they change the new tax
21.Not until a monkey is several years old …..…to exhibit signs of independence from its mother.
A. it begins B. does it begin C. and begin D. is it begin
22.………….. did Jerome accept the job.
A.Only because it was interesting work. B. Because it was an interesting work.
B.Only because it was interested work. D. The work was interesting.
23………..great was the destruction that the south took decades to recovered.
A. Very B. too C. Such D. So
24………….….when the Charges found themselves 7-0 down.
A. Hardly had the games begun B. Hardly the games had begun
C. The games had hardly begun D. Hardly had begun the games
25.Not until the fist land plants developed………………..
A. land animals appeared B. did land animals appear
C. would land animals appear D. the land animals appeared
26.Not until it was too late ………………. I call Susan.
A. I remembered B. did I remember C. did I remembered D. I did remember
27 .Never before …………………. Such a wonderful child.
A. I have seen B. I had seen C. I saw D. have I seen
28. Hardly had we settle down in our seats …………….. the lights went out.
A. than B. when C. then D. after
29. Only after checking three times …………certain of the answer. Jim promised that never would he tell anyone else.
A. I was B. was I C. were I D. I were
30. Only when he is here, ……………..
A. he speaks English B. does he speak English
C. he can speak English D. he does speak English
31. Never ______ me again.
A. will she love B. she loves
C. she won’t love D. she will love
32. Not only ______ but she is also intelligent.
A. she is beautiful B. beautiful she is
C. is she beautiful D. beautiful is she
33. No sooner _______ out than it rained.
A. did I go B. I went
C. had I gone D. I had gone
34. Seldom ______ the guitar.
A. he plays B. does he play
C. he doesn’t play D. he does play
35. Hardly _____ a word when her son came back.
A. couldn’t she say B. she could say
C. she couldn’t say D. could she say
36. Often ______ a meeting.
A. do we have B. we do have
C. have we D. we have
37. Many a time ______ he wants to marry me.
A. said he B. he said
C. has he said D. he has said
38. Only at weekend _____ my kids to Water Park.
A. I don’t take B. do I take
C. I take D. I do take
39. So old _____ that she couldn’t dance.
A. she wasn’t B. she was
C. wasn’t she D. was she
40. ______ here yesterday, you would have met me.
A. Were you B. You were
C. Had you been D. You had been
41. On the battle field _____.
A. the tanks did lie B. the tanks lay
C. did the tanks lie D. lay the tanks
42. Nowhere ______ such cooperative staff.
A. you can find B. you found
C. you could find D. can you find
43. Never before ______ in an earnest attempt to resolve their differences.
A. have the leaders of these two countries met
B. the leaders of these two countries have meet
C. have the leaders of these two countries meet
D. met the leaders of these two countries
44. Only by studying hard ______ this exam.
A. can you pass B. you can pass
C. pass you can D. can pass you
45. Seldom ______ a newspaper.
A. buy Anna B. does Anna buy
C. bought Anna D. Anna does buy
46.Out _______ from its tiny cage.
A. does the bird fly B. fly the bird
C. did the bird fly D. flew the bird
47. It was …….a victory that even Smith’s fans couldn’t believe it .
A.such surprising B.too surprising
C.so surprising D. surprising enough
48. Such _______ that we all felt numb.
A. a cold weather was B. was a cold weather
C. cold the weather D. was cold weather
49. that he felt he didn’t need to revise any more.
A. So confident was that arrogant student of passing
B. Such was the confidence of that arrogant student on passing.
C. So confident in passing was that arrogant student.
D. Such confidence in passing did that arrogant student have.
50. .Not until …….himself seriously ill.
A.he had completed the task did he find.B.had he completed the task did he find.
C.had he completed the task he found. D. did he completed the task he had found.
51. No longer ……… to do all her housework with her husband because our family now owns some new labour-saving devices.
A. my mother has B. has my mother C. does my mother has D. does my mother have
52. ………the story he read last night .
A. interesting is . B. is interesting .
C. were interesting . D. interesting were .
53. Rarely ……... out after 9.00.
A. does my sister go B. did my sister go C. my sister goes D. my sister does go
54. She had only just put the telephone down when the boss rang.
A. She put the telephone down and the boss rang.
B. Hardly had she put the telephone down when the boss rang.
C. The boss rang back, but she put the telephone down.
D. She had put the telephone down, so she let it ring when the boss rang.
55. No sooner ………than the boss came in.
A. he had left B. had he left C. he was leaving D. was he leaving
56. Not only ……… to take the medicine, but he also hit the nurse.
A. he refused B. does he refuse C. he was refused D. did he refuse
57. As soon as he waved his hand, she turned away.
A. He saw her turn away and he waved his hand. B.He waved his hand and at once she turned away.
C.She turned away because he waved his hand. D.No sooner had he waved his hand than she turned away.
58. Here ….
A. he come B. does he come C. comes the bus D.the bus comes
59. No longer ……… them to go to the music club.
A. their parents allow B. does their parents allow C. do their parents allow D. has their parents allow
60. Second ………..
A. came the bus B.did the bus come C. come the bus D.does the bus come
61. So surprised at the news ……… that he couldn’t say anything.
A. did he become B. he became C. does he become D. did he became
62. Not only ……… shade and beauty, but they also reduce carbon dioxide.
A. trees provide B. provide trees C. do trees provide D. trees do provide
63. Under no circumstances ………………….in his story
A.do we believe B. we do believe C. we believe D. we believed
64. For no reason ……a lie to her.
A. had I tell B. that I told C. did I tell D. I did tell
65. Only by booking in advance ……… stay ion the room you like.
A. can you B. you can C. you will D. you
66. In no time ……… know the result of the recognition.