III.Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the following passage. (1,5pts)
Many countries in Asia, such as Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, are very (13) _______ to the Pacific Rim which is (14) _______ as the “Ring of Fire”. These countries are affected by more earthquakes and volcanoes than anywhere else in the world. People in these countries may (15) _______ landslides, liquid rock, ash and tidal waves as a result. In June 1991, Mount Pinatubo (16) _______ the Philippines erupted. Despite scientist’s advance warning of the (17) _______, hundreds of people were killed. The area around the volcano was badly damaged. Flows of very hot ash and liquid rock forced people to run away from the area. They were not able to go back (18) _______ several months afterwards.
13. A. close B. similar C. used D. pleasant
14. A. know B. knew C. known D. knowing
15. A. experience B. enjoy C. take D. discover
16. A. at B. in C. on D. from
17. A. tornado B. storm C. eruption D. earthquake
18. A. since B. on C. before D. until
Chú ý: Thí sinh chỉ ghi mẫu tự A, B, C, hoặc D vào ô trả lời
13.A 14.C 15.A
16.B 17.C 18.D
IV. Read the passage, then decide if the statements that follow it are True or False. (1.0 pt)
It might sound strange to you but these are some important rules. If you want to pass examinations, then study grammar. However, if you want to become fluent in English, try to learn English without studying too much grammar because that will only slow you down and confuse you. You will think about the rules when creating sentences instead of speaking naturally like a native speaker. Some native speakers do not know so many grammar rules as non-native students do.
Everyone can speak at least one language whether they are intelligent, or lack some brain power. This could be achieved by being surrounded by that language at all times. You may notice that there are also some people who study abroad and learn very little. That is because they go to an English speaking school, but find friends from their own country and don’t practice English. Some others can speak English well because they live in an English speaking environment.
Therefore, why don’t you surround yourself with English? Make rules with some friends that you will only speak English when meeting up for a coffee, for example. You can also carry around an iPod and listen to English as much as possible.
19. You don’t need to study too much grammar to be fluent in English.
20. You need to be quite intelligent to study a language well.
21. Living in an English speaking environment, people will learn the language better.
22. An iPod may be useful for you to improve your listening skill.
Thí sinh viết đầy đủ từ True hoặc False vào ô trả lời Answers: 19. True 20. False 21. True 22. True
V. Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence . (1.5 pt)
23. There have been many ________________in the field of telecommunications. (innovate)
24. I love her voice. She always speaks to me ______________. (soft)
25. Mr Brown is a famous _______________ in the town. (environmental)
26. Banh Chung is a kind of ______________ rice cake. (stick)
27. Everyone loves him because he is ___________ to others. (help)
28. It’s not easy to ______________ all new words you come across when reading. (memory) Answers: 23. innovations 24. softly 25. environmentalist
26. sticky 27. helpful 28. memorize
VI. Use the correct tense or form of the verb given in each sentences. (1.0 pt)
29. He would be healthier, if he __________ so much. (not, smoke)
30. Road users _________ by law to wear quality safety helmets. (force)
31. Please wait right here until Katie _______ back. (come)
32. His daughter is keen on _________ with Barbie dolls. (play) Answers: 29. didn’t smoke 30. are enforced 31. comes 32. playing
VII.Rewrite each of the following sentences in another way so that it means almost the same as the sentence printed before it.( 2.0 pt)
33. The weather is fine, but Thu is still bringing a raincoat with her.