A. Because B. Even though C. Although D. Besides
2. it was so cold, he went out without an overcoat.
A. If B. Since C. Although D. Because
3. it was late, we decided to take a taxi home.
A. Because B. Since C. Because of D. Although
4. you subtract 7 from 12, you will have 5.
A. Because B. If C. Though D. As
5. We couldn’t reach the house the road was flooded.
A. because B. because of C. if D. though
6. he has a headache, he has to take an aspirin.
A. Because B. Because of C. Although D. In spite of
7. The flight had to be delayed the bad weather.
A. because B. Because of C. despite D. when
8. he comes to the theater with me, I shall go alone.
A. Because of B. Because C. Unless D. When
9. Take a map with you you lose your way.
A. so B. because C. although D. in case
10. rain or snow, there are always more than fifty thousand fans at the football games.
A. Even though B. Because C. Despite D. Because of
11. his illness, he had to cancel the appointment.
A. However B. Despite C. If D. Because of
12. Minh had a terrible headache. , he went to school.
A. However B. But C. Although D. Because
13. Tom has a bike, he always walks to school.
A. but B. because of C. because D. despite
14. My sister will take the plane she dislikes flying.
A. because B. so that C. although D. before
15. We decided to leave the party early it was boring.
A. due to B. because C. but D. and
16. The students arrived late the traffic jam.
A. because B. owing to C. despite D. so
17. he missed the first bus, he came ten minutes late.
A. Since B. Although C. However D. Therefore
18. his physical handicap, he has become a successful businessman.
A. In spite of B. Because of C. If D. Although
19. It was difficult to deliver the letter the sender had written the wrong address on the envelope.
A. though B. but C. so D. because
20. it rained heavily, I went to school on time.
21. He didn’t answer the questions correctly _______.
A. although he isn’t intelligent B. because he is intelligent
C. in spite of his intelligence D. despite his intelligent
22. ______, I can’t hear what he is saying.
A. Because of the noise B. Because of the soft music
C. Though the music is noise D. In spite of the noise music
23. _____, I feel very refresh.
A. Because I work very hard B. Although I get up early
C. Because of getting up early D. Despite getting up late
24. They live happily ______.
A. because they have no money B. though they are rich
C. in spite of their poverty D. because of their poor
25. He can’t join in the volunteer campaign _______.
A. although he is busy B. because he hurts his legs
C. in spite of working very hard D. because of registering for it
26. Though he drove carefully, he had an accident yesterday.
A. Despite his carelessness, he had an accident yesterday.
B. Despite he drove carefully, he had an accident yesterday.
C. In spite of driving carefully, he had an accident yesterday.
D. In spite of a careful drive, he had an accident yesterday.
27. He was very tired but he kept on working.
A. Despite very tired, he kept on working.
B. Though his tiredness, he kept on working.
C. Although he was very tired, but he kept on working.
D. He kept on working although he was very tired.
28. Although it rained heavily, they went on working.
A. In spite of the rain heavily, they went on working.
B. In spite of the raining heavily, they went on working.
C. Despite the heavy rain, they went on working.
D. Though the fact that it rained heavily, they went on working.
29. Cars cause pollution but people still want them.
A. Because cars cause pollution, people want them.
B. Despite the fact that cars cause pollution, people want them.
C. Cars cause pollution although people want them.
D. Cars cause pollution because people still want them.
30. She was seriously ill but she enjoyed life very much.
A. In spite of her serious illness, she enjoyed life very much.
B. Although she enjoyed life very much, she was seriously ill.
C. She was seriously ill because she enjoyed life very much.
D. Despite seriously ill, she enjoyed life very much.
31. My friends advised her to stop doing the housework because her old age.
A B C D
32. Because the invention of machines such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines,
women spend less time doing the housework.
33. John didn’t go to work because of he was seriously ill.
34. In spite of my father is old, he still goes to work.
35. Peter succeeded in his exam because of he worked hard and methodically.
36. Rice plants grow well because the climate is warmly and damp.
37. The plane couldn’t take off because the bad weather.
38. He couldn’t drive fast owing to the street was crowded and narrow.
39. The train was late because the fog is thick.
40. Since the difficult test, I couldn’t finish it on time.
A B C D
KEY TO ADVERBIAL CLAUSE OF REASON
1. Our seats were _____ far from the stage that we couldn't see the actors and actresses clearly.
A. very B. too C. enough D. so
2. He was _____ he never washed his clothes by himself.
A. too lazy B. so lazy that C. very lazy that D. such lazy that
3. They are _____ young _____ drive the car.
A. so / that B. too / to C. enough / to D. not only / but also
4. It was _____ a boring speech that I felt asleep.
A. such B. so C. very D. too
5. Is there _____ for everyone?
A. food and drink enough B. enough food and drink
C. enough of food and drink D. enough food and drink enough
6. He was _____ he could not continue to work.
A. very tired that B. such tired that C. too tired that D. so tired that
7. John’s eyes were _____ bad that he couldn’t read the number plate of the car in front.
A. such B. too C. so D. very
8. - Why don’t we make a fire? - It’s not cold _____ to make a fire.
A. too B. enough C. such D. much
9. Most of the pupils are _____ to pass the examination.
A. enough good B. good enough C. too good D. very good
10. You can send me a letter if you want to, but your phone call is _____ for me.
A. enough good B. good as enough C. good enough D. good than enough
11. Davis has _____ many patients _____ he is always busy.
A. too / that B. very / until C. such / that D. so / that
12. It was _____ a difficult question that they couldn't explain.
A. so B. such C. very D. too
13. The lesson _____ for me to understand.
A. is very difficult B. too difficult C. difficult too D. is too difficult
A. enough interesting B. very interesting
C. interesting enough D. interesting
15. They are _____ that they can't buy a bicycle.
A. enough poor B. poor enough C. so poor D. too poor
B. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to show the underlined part that needs correction.
1. These televisions are all too expensive for we to buy at this time.
A B C D
1. We couldn’t go out because the weather was so bad.
A. It was so bad a weather that we couldn’t go out.
B. It was such a bad weather that we couldn’t go out.
C. It was so bad weather that we couldn’t go out.
D. It was such bad weather that we couldn’t go out.
2. She was so busy that she couldn’t answer the phone.
A. She was very busy that she couldn’t answer the phone.
B. She was too busy to answer the phone.
C. She was too busy not to answer the phone.
D. She was very busy so that she couldn’t answer the phone
3. The coffee was too hot for me to drink.
A. The coffee is so hot that I can’t drink it
B. The coffee is so hot that I can’t drink.
C. The coffee was so hot that I couldn’t drink it.
D. The coffee was so hot that I could drink it.
4. If I were taller, I could reach the top shelf.
A. I am not tall enough to reach the top shelf.
B. I am too tall to reach the top shelf.
C. I cannot reach the top shelf because I am very tall.
D. In spite of being tall, I cannot reach the top shelf.
5. It was such a boring speech that we began to yawn.
A. It was so a good book that I couldn’t put it down.
B. It was such a good book that I couldn’t put it down.
C. The book was so good for me to put it down.
D. The book was so good that I couldn’t put down.
10. Sue is too slow to understand what you might say.
A. Sue is not enough quick to understand what you might say.
B. What you might say, Sue can understand slowly.
C. Sue is so slow to understand what you might say.
D. So slow is Sue that she can’t understand what you might say.