17. _________ his bad leg, he couldn’t walk so fast as the others.
A. Because of B. Despite C. Since D. The reason of
18. I haven’t seen her _______ she was a little girl.
A. when B. since C. as D. for
19. He’ll never pass his driving test ______ he takes some lessons.
A. if only B. unless C. because D. if
20. Prices for bikes can run ______ $250.
A. so high as B. so high to C. as high as D. as high to
21. Would you like a sandwich, Vicky? – “________”
A. I’d love to, but I’m still full. B. No, I can’t. C. Yes, I’ll leave one. D. Yes, I would like.
22. One of my teeth is loose. - I think “__________”.
A. you would rather go to the pharmacy B. you should go to the dentist.
C. you had better go to the pharmacy. D. you should go to the dentist’s.
23.- What’s your favorite program on TV? - “__________ ”
A. I prefer television quiz. And you? B. Oh, I enjoy watching game shows, aren’t I?
C. Game shows. There was an interesting quiz last night. D. I have no idea. I watched a game last night.
24. How do we get there? – “__________”.
A. Turn right just after the bank of China. B. Two kilometres, at least.
C. From that bus stop over there D. Yes, it’s rather far.
25. Do you know where there’s a public telephone? – “__________”.
A. There’s one at the bottom of the street. B. Not very far from here.
C. Yes, there is. D. I know there is.
Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp (ứng với A hoặc B,C,D) để hoàn thành câu sau:
26. No ______ how hard he tries, he always seems to make the same grammatical mistakes.
A. importance B. effect C. matter D. question
27. The ______ thing about travelling by train rather than by car is that you can sleep or read during the journey.
A. enjoying B. enjoyed C. enjoyable D. enjoyment
28. I hope we will be able to avoid _________ anyone.
A. disappointed B. disappointing C. disappointment D. disappoint
29. If we want to buy a house, we’ll have to _______ our spending.
A. cut back B. care for C. let down D. miss out
30. My sister is an expert on wildlife and its _______
A. reservation B. protection C. conservation D. prevention
Passage 1 Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp (ứng với A hoặc B,C,D) để điền vào chỗ trống trong đoạn văn sau:
Saint Valentine's Day
Several different stories are told about the (31) _____ of Saint Valentine's Day. One legend dates as far back as the days of the Roman Empire. According to the story, Claudius, the Emperor of Rome, wanted to increase the size of his army. He knew that it would be easier to get young men who were not married to (32) _____ . Therefore he made a rule that no young man could marry (33) _____ he had served a certain number of years in the army.
A priest named Valentine broke the rule and secretly married a great many young people. Finally, Claudius found out about Valentine and put the priest in prison, ______ (34) he remained until his death on February 14.
After his death, Valentine was made a saint, and the day of his death was named Saint Valentine's Day. It became the custom for lovers to send each other messages on this day. Now Saint Valentine’s Day is a time for people to send one another ________ (35) of many kinds.
31. A. rootB. source C. beginning D. origin
32. A. join B. involve C. engage D. take
33. A. as long as B. until C. when D. after
34. A. which B. there C. where D. that
35. A. greetingsB. wishes C. compliments D. congratulaions
Passage 2 Đọc kỹ đoạn văn và trả lời các câu hỏi (bằng cách chọn phương án đúng, ứng với A hoặc B,C,D) từ các câu 36 đến 40:
What kind of person are you? Are you friendly or shy? Maybe you're romantic. You might be artistic. Where does your personality come from? Many people believe that your time of birth influences your personality. The Chinese horoscope is one tradition that connects your personality with the year of your birth.
According to the Chinese horoscope, each year is represented by a different animal. There are twelve animals in the horoscope, and they repeat every twelve years. For example, the year 2000 was the year of the dragon, and the year 2012 will be the year of the dragon again. In order after the dragon, the next animals on the calendar are the snake, the horse, the sheep, the monkey, the rooster, the dog, the pig, the rat, the ox, the tiger, and the rabbit.
These horoscope animals influence the personality of someone born that year. Were you born in 1983? That was the year of the pig. You are honest and affectionate. Were you born in 1982, the year of the dog? Then you are hardworking, but also a little pessimistic. If you were born in 1984, the year of the rat, you are charming and generous. If you were born in 1985, the year of the ox, you are calm, sincere, and stubborn. 1986 was the year of the tiger. Tigers have a good attitude toward life and are loyal to their friends.
Are you honest like a pig or generous like a rat? Are you stubborn like an ox or quiet like a rabbit? Perhaps the animal of your year has an influence on you.
36. What is this passage mainly about?
A. Different kinds of animals B. Good and bad friends C. Animal caretakers D. A traditional belief
37. Which of the following animals is NOT on the Chinese horoscope?
A. Rat B. Pig C. Cat D. Dog
38. Which words describe people born in the year of the ox?
A. Hardworking and negative B. Dependable and loyal C. Charming and giving D. Calm and honest
39. 1988 was the year of which animal?
A. The snake B. The horse C. The dragon D. The sheep
40. When was the year of the tiger?
A. 1998 B. 1997 C. 1996 D. 1995
Writing Skills Chọn nhóm từ hoặc mênh đề (ứng với A hoặc B, C, D) để hoàn thành câu sau: