31. Every year Bob and Alice (A) spend a few (B) day (C) at the same hotel (D) by the sea.
32. (A) Because of the light, the town seemed (B) differently from the way I (C) had (D) remembered it.
33. James (A) which has (B) just received a promotion is the (C) best worker (D) of our Company.
34. The boy (A) whom I spoke (B) to on the phone last night (C) is very interested (D) on Mathematics.
35. Our teacher (A) told us that we (B) had done our (C) homeworks very (D) carefully.
Part 3: Reading
Read the passages below and choose the correct answer among A, B, C or D.
Every year students from many countries learn English. Some of these students are young children. Others are teenagers, many are adults. Some learn at school, others study by themselves. A few learn English just by hearing the language in films, on television, in the office or among their friends. But not many are lucky enough to do that. Most people must work hard to learn another language.
Why do all these people want to learn English? It is difficult to answer that question. Many boys and girls learn English at school because it is one of their subjects. They study their own language and mathematics and English. In England or America, or Australia many boys and girls study their own language, which is English, and Mathematics, and another language, perhaps French, or German, or Spanish.
Many adults learn English because it is useful for their work. Teenagers often learn English for their higher studies because some of their books are in English at college or university. Other people learn English because they want to read newspapers or magazines in English.
36. According to the writer.
A. English is popular in much of the world B. Only adults learn English.
C. English is useful only to teenagers. D. No children like learning English
37. Many people learn English by....
A. taking with the film stars B. hearing the language in the office
C. watch video only D. working hard on their lessons.
38. Many boys and girls learn English because....
A. they have to study their own language B. their parents make them
C. English can give them a job D. It is included in their courses
39. Many adults learn English because....
A. Most of their books are in English B. It helps them in their work
C. Such foreign languages as French, German and Spanish
D. English as a foreign language
There s now increasing concern about the world's energy resources, particularly about those involving fossil ... (41) .... In less than a hundred years we shall probably ... (42) ... all the present ... (43) ... of oil and gas. The world's coal ... (44) ... should last longer but, once used, these cannot be ... (45) ....
It is important, therefore, that we should develop such ... (46) ... sources of energy as solar energy and nuclear energy as well as water and wind ... (47) ... (classed as ... (48) ... energy). Until these energy ... (49) ... are widely used, it is important for the developed countries to reduce energy ... (50) ... as much as possible
41. A. fuels B. powers C. forms D. energies
42. A. end B. complete C. total D. exhaust
43. A. findings B. productions C. amounts D. sources
22. We have so ... exercises that we can't do all of them.
A. a great deal of B. a large number of C. many D. much
23. The boy, along with his classmates, ... just paid me a visited.
A. has B. have C. are D. is
24. Many students aren't keen ... their study at school.
A. about B. for C. with D. on
25. Most children know little about their job because of....
A. their being ill-prepared for the job B. the unsatisfactory guidance at home
C. the unsatisfactory guidance in school D. All are right
Choose the best sentence that has the same meaning as the given one
26. Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon.
A. Neil Armstrong was the first man who walks on the moon.
B. Neil Armstrong was the first man who walked on the moon.
C. Neil Armstrong was the first man who he walks on the moon.
D. Neil Armstrong was the first man who he walked on the moon.
27. There're 45 sentences which have to be done in this test.
A. There're 45 sentences to be do in this test.
B. There're 45 sentences has to be done in this test.
C. There're 45 sentences to be done in this test.
D. There're 45 sentences to have to be done in this test.
28. I didn't intend to change my job.
A. I didn't have intention for change my job
B. I had intention to change my job
C. I didn't have any intend to change my job
D. I didn't have intention of changing my job
29. Usually, people gave much thought to their future.
A. Usually, people thinked much to their future
B. Usually, people thought much to their future
C. Usually, people thought much for their future
D. Usually, people thought much of their future
30. Children often know little about their job and take no steps to find out.
A. They do nothing to improve the situation B. They often overcome difficulties.
C. They try their best D. They put aside the problems
Choose a word or phrase in each sentence that needs correcting
31. (A) To master (B) a foreign language (C) are not (D) an easy process.
32. (A) Some artists use traditional design (C) while (D) another use modern themes.
33. She looks (A) quite; (B) actual, she is (C) a very (D) smart student.
34. (A) What ever (B) difficult he (C) may encounter, he'll try (D) his best to overcome.
35. I (A) found (B) it (C) wonderfully to travel (D) abroad.
Part 3: Reading
Read the passages below and choose the correct answer among A, B, C or D.
All of us have to work to earn a living ourselves and to help our family. However, we work not only for material life but also for many other things. We are working to prove our ability. We feel self-confident and proud because we are independent. Anyone who works is regarded as a useful member of society. We're working, that means we're contributing to our country. Working helps us train our minds because we always try our best to do the job. The better we work, the more money we earn and that encourages us to work harder. Without working, a man's life will be empty, purposeless and meaningless and it's easy for a jobless person to do wrongs.
36. Why should we work?
A. Because we have to B. It makes our material life worse
C. It makes ourselves purposeless D. It makes ourselves better
37. What can we get from work beside money?
A. Many other important things B. Some salary
C. Meaningless feeling D. Nothing
38. What will happen if we work more?
A. We feel better B. We earn more C. We contribute more D. All are correct
39. What helps us work harder?
A. good way B. good pay C. good life D. none are correct
40. Without working, how is one's life?
A. better B. more confident C. prouder D. boring
Nowadays, we must say that all high schools teach mathematics and it is ... (41) ... one of the ... (42) ... important subjects. High school students are required to study mathematics even though they are interested ... (43) ... it or not. Up to now, no one knows exactly the time ... (44) ... the early people began ... (45) ... on mathematics. mathematics has been developed today. It is no longer only figures, simple calculation, and forms. Mathematics ... (46) ... into branches, ... (47) ... arithmetic, geometry, algebra, and trigonometry; other branches have gradually been added. The ... (48) ... of the electronic computer is one of the great ... (49) ... in mathematics. Thank to computers, we can ... (50) ... a lot of time when solving problems.
41. A. believed B. considered C. learnt D. taken
42. A. more B. as C. most D. least
43. A. at B. of C. on D. in
44. A. what B. where C. when D. why
45. A. work B. to working C. working D. worked
46. A. is divided B. are divided C. have been divided D. were divided
47. A. so on B. such as C. on example D. like
48. A. searching B. loss C. invention D. disappearance
49. A. achieve B. achievements C. achievers D. achievable
50. A. save B. spend C. send D. loss
Part 1: Phonetics:
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the rest in each group
1. A. Sound B. About C. Shout D. Course
2. A. Jogged B. Cooked C. Gained D. Smiled
3. A. Disappointed B. Orator C. Signature D. Accept
4. A. Enclose B. Pen C. Center D. Tent
5. A. Choose B. House C. Horse D. Course
Choose the word whose syllable is stressed differently from the rest in each group
6. A. Especially B. Comfortably C. Carefully D. Possibly
7. A. Importance B. Subtraction C. Algebra D. Example
8. A. Aspect B. Careful C. Baggy D. Successful
9. A. Terrific B. Applicant C. Banking D. Ignorant
10. A. Recognize B. Challenge C. Symbolize D. Continue
Part 2: Vocabulary - grammar and structures
Choose the best answer among A, B, C or D
11. The Browns ... here since 1990.
A. live B. are living C. have lived D. had lived
12. I wish I ... all about this some weeks age.
A. knew B. have known C. had known D. would know
13. Vietnam is a country in ... Asia.
A. Southeast B. Northeast C. Southwest D. Northwest
14. Money can't buy true....
A. happy B. un happy C. happiness D. happily
15. We can buy from a needle to an elephant in this....
A. park B. crossroads C. shopping centre D. crowds
16. The synonym of MOTHER TONGUE is....
A. first language B. foreign language C. second language D. A & B are right
17. Don't disturb me. I've got ... work to do.
A. a lot B. a great deal C. much D. many
18. When students finish their 12th school year, they're at their....
A. school-leaving age B. status of children C. status of worker D. none are right
19. Computers aren't ... used in schools and universities in Vietnam.
A. widely B. wide C. widen D. width
20. Which prefix can go with FACE?
A. super B. sur C. sub D. out
21. Language isn't the private property of a country.
A. access B. trade C. possession D. scholarship
22. Teenagers often have some physical changes during the ... from childhood to adult life.
A. transition B. way C. growth D. obstacle
23. Is there anything important ... first?
A. does B. do C. doing D. to do
24. We didn't have any money but Tom had....
A. a little B. a few C. little D. few
25. He said that he ... his bicycle.
A. has lost B. loses C. had lost D. lost
Which sentence expresses the same idea as the given one?
26. There is a tendency to minimize problems.
A. Pupils show a tend to minimize problems
B. Pupils don't try to overcome problems
C. Pupils don't show a tend to play problems down
D. Pupils don't try to overcome problems much
27. They gave a great deal of thought to their work.
A. They thought a little about their job
B. They didn't think so much about their job
C. They thought so much about their job
D. They didn't think about their job
28. They show a desire to put aside the status of the school - child.