|BÀI TẬP VỀ PHƯƠNG THỨC CẤU TẠO TỪ
Exercise 1: Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Opera singer Maria Callas was known for her ________, powerful voice.
A. intensity B. intensify C. intense D. intensely
2. Many readers will disagree with the selection and the assessments as any guide will invevitably be ______
A. subject B. subjected C. subjective D. Subjectivism
3. Politicians___________blame the media if they don’t win the election. They’re so predictable.
A variable B. variety C. various D. invariably
4. This is very _______! Can’t you practise your violin somewhere else?
A. convenient B. conveniently C. Inconvenient D. convenience
5. I would like to show you my lastest ________, which I have called “Boasts on a Lake”
A. creativity B. creator C. create D. creation
6. During the festival _______ were hanging from every tree.
A. decorator B. decorations C. decorative D. decorativeness
7. He offered to give me a ________ of how the machine worked.
A. demonstrator B. demonstration C. demonstrate D. demonstrative
8. Those countries are_______ on other countries for most of their food.
A. dependent B. independence C. dependable D. dependability
9. He acted in an extremely ________ manner, which made him very unpopular
A. dictation B. dictatorial C. dictate D. dictatorship
10. He hoped the _______ agency would find him a job.
A. employee B. unemployed C. employer D. employment
Exercise 2: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
I’m afraid they weren’t very _______ about your idea of going out this evening.
A. enthusiastically B. enthusiastic C. enthusiasm D. enthusiast
The student did not do well in the class; he had a problem with ________
A. absent B. absently C. absence D. absenteeism
The information in that article is ________ inaccurate.
A. historian B. historial C. history D. historically
Some people show ______ attitude toward the misery of others, totally untouched by their suffering.
A. passionate B. dispassionate C. passion D. passionately
The charity organization received a large gift from the ________.
A. donation B. donor C. donate D. donated
The sick child must stay away from others because he has a _________disease.
A.communicate B. communicable C. communicator D. communication
The technician applying for the position was asked to supply a _______ list of her former places of employment.
A. chronological B. chronologically C. chronologist D. chronology
I do not understand what these results ______.
A. significant B. sgnify C. significance D. significantly
They said my illness was ________. Don’t they realize I’m in a lot of pain?
A. immagianry B. imagination C. imagine D. imaginative
She was much less _______student than her sister.
A. industrial B. industrious C. industrialist D. industrialized
Exercise 3: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
It was very _______of you to notice that.
A. observant B. observatory C. observation D. observe
There is a ________ of carrots because of the bad weather.
A. shortly B. shorten C. shortage D. short
The factory manager was so _________ that the employees left in disgust
A. dictator B. dictatorial C. dictatorship D. dictate
Their failure to act is _______ of their lack of interest
A. indicate B. indicator C. indication D. indicative
The company was _______ and made a tremendous amount of money.
A. progress B. progressive C. progression D. progressively
The _____ account given by the witness convinced the jury of the plaintiff’s right to a settlement.
A. description B. desciribing C. desciptive D. describe
We drove at five miles an hour because the _______ was so poor.
A. visible B. visual C. view D. visibility
They handled the merchandise _______ for the manufacturer.
A. exclude B. exclusion C. exclusive D. exclusively
The job was done _______, and we were extremely displeased.
A. incompetence B. incompetency C. competence D. incompetently
“Since the goal seems ________, I believe we should begin at once,” Tom argued.
A. achievements B. achieve C. achievable D. achieving
Exercise 4: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
She seemed always to speak ________, especially at our club meeting.
A. controversy B. controversial C. Controversially D. controvert
When the automobile salesman described the car so _______, we became very uneasy about buying it.
A. ambiguity B. ambiguousness C. ambiguous D. ambiguously
He is under 25, hard- working and ________.
A. energy B. energize C. energizing D. energetic.
Phil was sentenced to three years’ ______ for his part in the robbery.
A. prisoner B. imprison C. imprisonment D. prison
Julia is being kept in an isolation ward because she is highly ________.
A. infectious B. infection C. infected D. infecting
The Pikes live in a four- bedroomed bungalow in a very nice ________ area.
A. residing B. resident C. residence D. residential
7. Don’t put David in charge of arranging the theatre trip; he’s too _________.
A. organized B. disorganized C. unorganized D. inorganized.
8. The rhinoceros, whose numbers have dropped alarmingly recently, has been declared a/an ______ species.
A. danger B. endanger C. endangered D. dangerous.
9. David’s compositions are full of mistakes but they are very ______.
A. imaginative B. imaginary C. imagination D. imaginable
10. Sicentists always _______ their idea before writing up the results of their research.
A. analyse B. analysis C. analyses D. Analyst
Exercise 5: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Our professor _______ said we should turn in the assignment on Friday.
A. specific B. soecifically C. specifying D. specifyingly
Students can gain _______ benefits form learning to work together.
A. considerate B. considering C. consideration D. considerable
The ______ dressed woman in the advertisement has a posed smile on her face.
A. stylish B. stylishly C. stylistic D. stylistically
Most people can ______ clearly between a real and stimulated smile.
A. differ B. different C. difference D. differentiate
5. Many citizens say they are _______ of the political policies of the candidates in a local election.
A. ignoring B. ignorant C. ignorantly D. ingnorance
6. Although the professor gave ________ directions for the research paper, I was still confused.
A. define B. definite C. definitely D. definition
I am currently researching the reasons why birds _____ in water.
A. migrate B. migrating C. migrant D. migration
During the Industrial Revoilution, there was a complete _______ of society in urban areas.
A. transforming B. transformer C. transformation D. transformable
It’s a very depressed area and almost 20 % of young adults are _______.
A. employed B. unemployed C. employment D. unemployment
I don’t know why it caused so much ________
A. embarrass B. embarrassed C. embarrassing D. embarrassment
BÀI TẬP CHỌN TỪ - SỰ KẾT HỢP TỪ:
Exercise 1: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
“How was your exam?” “A couple of questions were tricky, but on the _____ it was pretty easy.”
A. spot B.general C. hand D. whole
If you practice regularly, you can learn thia language skill in short _______ of a time.
A. period B. aspect C. arrangement D. activity
Students can _______ a lot of information just by taking an active part in class.
A. concern B. install C. appear D. memorize
A few years ago, a fire _____ much of an overcrowed part of the city.
A. battled B. devastated C. mopped D. developed
5. I have learned a lot about the value of labour form my _______ at home.
A. credit B. ebergy C. chores D. pot plants
6. Although he tried to hide it, it was ______that Peter didn’t like his birthday present.
A. foolish B. basic C. obvious D. vigorous
7. Environemental groups try to stop farmers from using harmful ________ on their crops.
A. economy B. agriculate C. investments D. chemicals
8. If you ______ too much on study, you will get tired and stressed.
A. concentrate B. develop C. organize D. complain
9. Good heath and methods of study are very necessary, or _______ for success in college.
A. avaible B. dependable C. essential D. efficicient
10. In order to _______ their goals in college, students need to invest the maximum amount f time, money, and energy in their studies.
A. manage B. catch C. establish D. achieve
Exercise 2: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Parents have great hopes of great ______ when they send their children to school.
A. wishes B. obligations C. ecpectations D. plans
No one ever takes any notices of what I say. They never give ______ to what I say.
A. reply B. opinion C. attention D. support.
3. She has changed so much that I didn’t _______ her right away.
A. admit B. recognize C. know D. believe
4. After graduation, she found _______ with a local finance company.
A. career B. workplace C. service D. employment
5. Educatnion in Britain has improved since the government started a programme of educational _______
A. reform B. resources C. experience D. system
6. The group leader wanted that everyone worked together; she asked for everyone’s _______.
A. combination B. responsibility C. competion D. copperation
7. With hard work and study, you can ______ the goals you set for yourself.
A. establish B. succeed C. achieve D. increase
8. David never wastes in his time; he tries to improve himself at every _______.
A. technique B. opportunity C. consideration D. operation
9. All the students in the school are free to ______ any youth club they wish.
A. perform B. become C. join D. participate
10. His ________, has always been to become a movie director. He wants very much to achieve it.
A. direction B. ambition C. business D. study
Exercise 3: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
All the negative violence on television has had a negative _______ on children.
A. damage B. programme C. process D. effect
My mother ______ for an anvironmental group. She helps raise money to protect wildlife
A. indentifies B. encourages C. shares D. volunteers
Students can _______ a lot of information just by attending claas and taking good notes of the lectures.
A. absorb B. provide C. transmit D. read
Some people _______ that you can learn more by travelling to a place than by reading about it. They say firmly that it is true.
A. require B. encourage C. insist D. offer
Electric cars are better for the environment. ________, they can save money con gas.
A. In brief B. In conclusion C. In constrast D. In addition
Overpopulation tends ro create conditions which may result in ____ of food in developing countries
A. supplies B. surpluses C. shortages D.failures
Because of the intensive farming, it’s now hard to find certain wild birds in the region. Actually, the have become _______ birds.
A. unknown B. fightened C. hungry D. rare
While some areas are suffering from _______, others are experiencing heavy rains and floods.
A. the weather B. the climate C. drought D. problems
It will certainly enhances your ________ of reading when you are aware of very slight differences in the writer’s expression.
A. condition B. recommendation C. material D. enjoyment
A nurse must be ________ to the patients’ needs; dhe must understand what they need, and be helpful and kind to them.
A. sensitive B. elegant C. aware D. likeable
Exercise 4: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. The area has an _________ of wildlife; there are lots of animals, birds, fish, and insects living there.
A. abundance B. impression C. entertainment D. organization
2. You should read this novel. It has been ________ recommended by all the critics.
A. deeply B. fully C. highly D. truly
3. True learning does not _______ in gathering facts from the teachers; it requires active assimilation of knowledge.
A. achieve B. consist C. depend D. come
4. There should be a law against ________.
A. violent family B. fight for households
C. violent domestics D. domestic violence
5. The documentary was so _________ that many viewers cried.
A. moody B. touching C. touchy D. moved
6. ________ of patience, noone can beat Martha.
A. in front B. in spite C. In terms D. Regardless
7. The manager of the hotel always puts a _________ on the service quality.
A. pressure B. great stress C. stressed D. stressful
8. Human carlessness has been _______damaging marine life.
A. warned against B. said to C. prevented D. acused of
9. During the flood, many local people ran out of food and starved to ________
A. dying B. die C. death D. dead
10. The saying that “Problems don’t come _______,” means that may problems can happen at the same time.
A. soon B. at once C. single D. singly
Exericse 5: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. In fairy tales, bad witches often try to cast a spell on the ________.
A. innocent B. innovative C. innovation D. initative
2. The assistant manager is going to present a complete report on the ________situation of the company.
A. funded B. finacial C. financing D. finance
3. The environmental impact of tourism can be shocking and upsetting, but many governments think it is _______.
A. negative B. comprehensive C. bad D. acceptable
4. I the recent decades, greater cultural ________ has been encouraged by tourism.
A. contract B. relation C. touch D. details
5. The majority of people agree that modern drugs are the most effective way to cure a (n)________.
A. treatment B. symptom C. illness D. sicken
6. The government should take _______ to reduce the current high unemployment rate.
A. solutions B. charge C. measures D. steps
7. Janet has to travel a lot in her new job. She is on the _______ all the time.
A. field B. mood C. way D. go
8. Many companies now advertise their new products by distributing free ______ in public places.
A. deals B. exmaples C. instances D. samples
9. While there has been a significant _____ in the sales figures, there has been no corresponding profit growth because of increased production cosrs.
A. addition B. form C. boost D. encouragement
10. There can be no doubt that recent statements ________ the company’s true financial position were misleading
A. referring B. dealing C. concerning D. respecting
Exercise 6: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions
1. Before choosing a job, you should take into consideration several_______ including the supply and demand for professionals in any particular field.
A. turns B. factors C. ramarks D. sides
2. The Business Advisory Council has been specially designed for those in ________ of advice about setting up new businesses.
A. absence B. duty C. want D. need
3. The city has ________ of young consumers who are sensitve to trends, and can, therefore, help industries predict the potential risks and success of products.
A. a high rate B. a high proportion C. a high tendency D. a great level
4. Don’t ________ to conclusions, we don’t yet know all the relevant facts.
A. hurry B. jump C. rush D. run
5. I wonder if you could _______ me a small favour, Tom?
A. bring B. make C. give D. do
6. Sicientists warn that many of the world’s great cities are _______ flooding.
A. being B. at risk C. in danger of D. endangered
7. The boy’s strange behavior aroused the ______ of the shop assistant.
A. thought B. consideration C. exectations D. suspicions
8. The young should _____themselves in social activities.
A. determine B. serve C. involve D. promote.
9. I know from ________that everything will be all right.
A. conscience B. experience C. wisdom D. care
10. Your second essay ______improvement on the first one.
A. showed B. made C. cast D. presented
Exercise 7: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. The Women’s World Cup is _______ in popularity.
A. competing B. establishing C. advancing D. growing
2. Our class team has won four ______ football matches.
A. successful B.unsuccessful C. success D. successive
3. We interviewed a number of candidates buit none of them _______ us.
A. enlivened B. encouraged C. delighted D. mpressed.
4. ___________ to British univerities depends on examnation results.
A. Admission B. Admittance C. Permission D. Permit
5. I prefer _______jobs because I don’t like keep on moving and changing all the time.
A. demanding B. challenging C. tough D. secure
6. The investment has had _______ on the development of our project.
A. results B. progress C. interruptions D. effects
7. In China, there are still a lot of ____ families sharing the same house.
A. extent B. extension C. extended D. extensive
8. The deadline is coming, and we still have a lot of _______ problems.
A. unsolving B. dissolved C. insolved D. solving
9. He recievec a medal in _________ for his bravery.
A. turns B. response C. favour D. reward
10. He left the country _______ arrest of he retured.
A. in fear that B. with fear of C. under threat of D. with threat of
Exercise 8: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. Governments have ______ laws to protect wildlife from commercial trade and overhunting.
A. practiced B. acted C. enacted D. observed
2. He was chosen for the post because of his keenness and ____ of responsibility.
A. sense B. meaning C. from D. way
3. My brother rarely ________ responsibilities in the family, which makes my father really angry.
A. gets B. takes C. receives D. puts on
4. My mothet always _____ that we leave home for school with breakfast.
A. ensures herself B. checks again C. takes certain D. makes sure
5. The shop assistant is ready to ______ me a helping hand. She was very nice.
A. offer B. take C.get D. lend
6. Many people do not realize that they are causing disasters _______ themselves.
A. to B. for C. with D. about
7. Forests all over the world are being _____ into deserts.
A. switched B. turned C. sent D. transferred
8. Many countries have built _____ to carry water to desert areas.
A. rivers B. channels C. canals D. lakes
9. People living in that area are ______ the threat _______ lead poisoning.
A. in- on B. with- to C. under- of D. on- for
10. Maps are made with the help of _____ photography.
A. air B.aeronautics C. acrial D. areoplane
Exercise 9: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. The dunes in the Simpsion Desert have gently _____ western faces and _______ eastern faces.
A. sloping – steep B. downward – upward C. shallow- deep D. low- high
2. The great stretches of sandy desert almost ________ the centre of Australia.
A. round B. circle C. hold D. keep
3. Spinifex grows on the slopes of the dunes, which are up to 20 metres _____.
A. in high B. of height C. high D. tall
4. Hummock grasses grow in ______ sand on the crest, the top of the slope.
A. loose B. lost C. lose D. loosened.
5. It was a vey nice apartment, ________ I decided to rent it right away
A. if B. because C. so D. but
6. A newborn baby can neither walk nor crawl. A newborn antelope, _______can run with minutes of birth.
A. however B.so C. otherwise D. eventhough
7. Endangered animals should be well protected in their natural _____.
A. position B. condition C. habitat D. status
8. The government has _________ different measures to protect the wildlife
A. made B. listed C. done D. taken
9. One of the conservation efforts is the development of wildlife ______.
A. conserves B. reserves C. reservoirs D. reverses
10. Commercial exploration has driven many species to the ________ of extinction.
A. verge B. bank C. limit D. edge
Exercise 10: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. The biggest company in our local area is ______ the verge of bankruptcy
A. in B. on C. at D. to
2. The Congress has ____ laws to protect wildlife from commercial trade and overhunting.
A. impled B. carried C. acted D. passed
3. The book is so interesting that I can hardly _______ it_____.
A, get- down B. pick- up C. put- down D. not put- down
4. Books are a wonderful _________ of knowledge.
A. source B. resource C. flow D. provision
5. She had just enough time to _______ the report before the meeting
A. turn around B. dip into C. get through D. go into
6. The book______ quite well during the first few months.
A. had been solved B. was sold C. sold D. sells
7. If a water polo game is tied, there are two _____periods of three minutes each.
A. overdue B. overlong C. overwork D. overtime
8. The player was ejected after committing five personal _____.
A. mistakes B. faults C. fouls D. errors
9. Sports competitions are held to ______ cooperation and solidarity among countries.
A. grow B. upgrade C. spring up D.promote
10. We have made careful preparations to welcome the ______ from 40 countries.
A. acquaintances B. attendants C. delegates D. hosts
Exercise 11: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. The footballers often sing the national _______ at the beginning of a match.
A. version B. lyrics C. anthem D. composition
2. The 22nd Southest Asisan Games were the first big sports event Vietnam ____.
A. owned B. hosted C. presented D. led
3. _______ swimming involves the players who perform beautiful maneuvers.to music underwater.
A. Athletic B. Synchronized C. Aquatic D. Artistic
4. Our basketball team successfully _______ the championship.
A. protected B. held C. assured D. defened
5. When we reached the top of the hill, it was getting ______
A. darkest B. the darker and the darker
C. darker and darker D. the darkest
6. Michael is obviously _______ anybody else here.
A. more and more talented B. talented as
C. more talented than D. the most talented among
7. _______ you give the anwer, _________
A. The quicker – the better you can get marks.
B. The more quickly- the better marks you can get
C. More quickly- better marks you can get
D. the quickest- the best marks you can get
8. As you get_______, your memory gets ________
A. old- worse B. older- worse C. oldest – worst D. older- bad
9. I am having _________ my colleagues.
A. responsibilities more than B. more than responsibilites
C. more responsibilites than D. as much responsibilities as
10. Although John is _____ than us, he is _______ at work
A. as young – less experienced
B. younger- much more experienced
C. not older- more much experienced
D. oldet- least experienced
Exercise 12: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. _______The Tet holidays come, ________the children feel
A. The more near- the more exciting B. The nearer- the more excitng
C. The nearesr – the more excited D. Nearer- more excited
2. They solved the problems ________we had expected.
A. more effective than B. most effectively as
C. most effectively as D. as effective as
3. Although I have _________my cousin, I felt _______.
A. fewer money – happier B. more money- more hapy
C. much more than – less happy D. less money than- happier
4. The institute was _______ by a a famous scientists.
A. put up B. set ut C. erected D. founded
5. Women in developing countries have spent time looking for ______ and encouragement from the society
A. realization B. modernization C. development D. recognition
6. The Red Cross is ______ to giving medical aid and other help to victims of disasters.
A. aimed B. promoted C. dedicated D. designed
7. In 1864, twelve nations signed the first Geneva Convention, __________down rules for the treatment and protection of the wounded.
A. laying B. lying C. lied D. laid.
8. The Red Cross all over the world has carried out a lot of _________.
A. jobs B. works C. missions D. responsibilites.
9. The tsunami in 2004 ________ some countries and caused a lot of damage.
A. reached B. beat C. defeated D. hit
10. The belief that a woman’s place is in the home is ______.
A. seating- deep B. deep- seating C. seated- deep D. deep- seated
Exercise 13: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. The policeman lost his temper. He _________
A. got nervous B. was in a bad mood C. lost his nerve D. was on bad humour
2. I decided to visit a fortune- teller. That’s what I _____ to do.
A. made up B. made up my mind C. minded D. cared
3. You should go to your sentist for regular ____.
A. check-ins B. check- outs C. check- ups D. check- up
4. _______, Carlos is very punctual, but he was late tonight.
A. For a rule B. Like a rule C. As a rule D. For a rule of thump
5. Without written evidence, we don’t have a _________on.
A. leg to stand B. foot to stand C. leg to lean D. foot to lean
6. I was taking a quiet walk last night when, _______, there was a loud explosion.
A. all in all B. all at once C. suddenly at once D. once at all
7. Everything could be done by _______.
A. a nod and bow B. a nod and wink C. a wink and a nod D. a nod and a wink
8. These workers are at the _____ of the economic ________
A. line- heap B. heap- bottom C. bottom- heap D. heap- line
9. Tickets are avaible on a first come, ______ basis.
A. first got B. early served C. first served D. early got
10. “You should het gid of that old leather jacket.” I know, but I hate to ____ with it.
A. part B. leave C. break D. cut
Exercise 14: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. You can’t get a soda from that machine. There’s a sign on it says that “__________”.
A. Out of job B. Out of hand C. Out of order D. Out of mind
2. Don’t have much cash ______, but I can get some from an automatic teller machine.
A. in hand B. on hand C. into hand D. inder hand
3. “I like that paiting you bought. Did it cost much?” “No, the artist sold it to me for _____”.
A. close to nothing B. next to anything C. next to nothing D. anything next
4. “What’s Peter’s cousin’s name?” “It’s on the tip of my ______, but I can’t quite remember”
A. mouth B. lips C. tongue D. memory
5. What a confusing story! I can’t make ________of it.
A. sense B. meaning C. logic D. understanding
6. Women have struggled for the same social, economic, and political _______for them as for men.
A. state B. status C. being D. welfare
7. Women now are more ____ in the public life than years ago.
A.involved B. ensured C. felt D. influenced
8. Every citizen can enjoy the same _______ to vote, to gain education and to work.
A. authority B. right C. way D. chance
9. The local council _______campaigns against illiteracy.
A. requires B. advocates C. admits D. affects
10. Widespread _______about women’s intellectual ability restricted their job opportunities.
A. suspicion B. challenge C. doubt D. rumour