1. Most doctors and nurses have to work on a _______ once or twice a week at the hospital.
A. solution B. night shift C. household chores D. special dishes
2. We enjoy _____time together in the evening when the family members gather in the living room after a day
of working hard.
A. spending B. caring C. taking D. doing
4. He is a _______ boy. He is often kind and helpful to every classmate.
A. frank B. lovely C. obedient D. caring
4. According to the boss, John is the most _______ for the position of executive secretary.
A. supportive B. caring C. suitable D. comfortable
5 Billy, come and give me a hand with cooking.
A. help B. prepared C. be busy D. attempt
6. Whenever problems come up, we discuss them frankly and find solutions quickly.
A .happen B. encounter C. arrive D. clean
7. You should not burn _______. You had better dig a hole and bury it.
A. dishes B. lab C. garbage D. shift
8. One of Vietnamese traditions is a belief in _______ families and in preserving their cultures.
A. wealthy B. secure C. safe D. close-knit
9. The ..................that our family members share closely is watching film
A. concern B. interest C. pleasure D. entertainment
10.We share the house with my mother and father and my wife ‘s sister and her kids, it is a..........family
A. nuclear B. extended C. crowed D. single-parent
11. My mother........................the responsibility for running the household
A. holds B. takes C. runs D. bears
12. My husband and I both go out to work so we share the………………
A. happiness B. household chores C. responsibility D. employment
13. Family is a base form which we can go in to the world with confidence
A. part B. place C. position D. foundation
14. Lee, who is Chinese, learns English as a ……………… language.
A. native B. second C. foreign D. first
15. This villa is the ……………. of my parents
A. belong B. possession C. having D. wealth
16. I really cannot accept your ……………. demands.
A. easy B. usual C. hard D. unreasonable
17. Don’t share the matter with anyone else. Please keep it in ……………….
A. private B. possession C. property D. tongue
18. Millions of people all over the world ………………. English as their native language.
A have B. talk C. choose D. produce
19. I have learned a lot about the value of labor from my .................... at home.
A. pot plants B. chores C. energy D. credit
20. If you practice regularly, you can learn this language skill in a short ................ of time.
A. activity B. arrangement C. period D. aspect
21. London is home to people of many _______ cultures.
A. diverse B. diversity C. diversify D. diversification
22. A curriculum that ignores ethnic tensions, racial antagonisms, cultural ______and religious differences is pot relevant.
A. diversity B. contacts C. barriers D. levels
23. Some researchers have just _______ a survey of young people's points of view on contractual marriage.
A. sent B. directed C. managed D. conducted
24. It will take more or less a month to prepare for the wedding.
A. approximately B. generally C. frankly D. simply
25. Many young people have objected to __marriage, which is decided by the parents of the bride and groom.
A. agreed B. shared C. contractual D. sacrificed
26. All parents are __to at least try to behave in ways that will give their own children an important protection
A. decided B. supposed C. followed D. rejected
27. It is thought that traditional marriage _______ are important basis of limiting divorce rates.
A. appearances B. records C. responses D. values
28. Mr. Pike held his wife's hands and talked urgently to her in a low voice, but there didn't seem to be any response.
A. feeling B. emotion C. reply D. effect
29. Family is the place where _______ children is not only tolerated but welcomed and encouraged.
A. taking B. having C. giving D. showing
30. Socially, the married _______ is thought to be the basic unit of society.
A. couple B. pair C. twins D. double
31. Professor Berg was very interested in the diversity of cultures all over the world.
A. variety B. changes C. conservation D. number
32. You are not _______ to say anything unless you wish to do so.
A. obliged B. willing C. equal D. attracted
33. A woman can never have a happy married life without _______ her husband.
A. demanding B. agreeing C. trusting D. determining
34. Many Vietnamese people ______ their lives for the revolutionary cause of the nation
A. sacrifice B. sacrificed C. sacrificial D. sacrificially
35. Most of us would maintain that physical ___does not playa major part in how we react to the people we meet.
A. attract B. attractive C. attractiveness D. attractively
36. They had a ______ candlelit dinner last night and she accepted his proposal of marriage.
A. romance B. romantic C. romantically D. romanticize
37. Reading the story of the ______ having her dress torn off in the lift reminded me of my friend's wedding.
A. groom B. bride C. celibate D. groomsman
38. I do not think there is a real ______ between men and women at home as well as in society.
A. attitude B. value C. measurement D. equality
39. The ______ to success is to be ready from the start.
A. key B. response C. agreement D. demand
40. They decided to divorce and Mary is ______ to get the right to raise the child.
A. equal B. determined C. obliged D. active
41. She is a kind of woman who does not care much of work but generally _______ only with colleagues for
meals, movies or late nights at a club.
A. supposes B. socializes C. attention D. discussed
42. I didn't think his comments were very appropriate at the time.
A. correct B. right C. exact D. suitable
43. You should _______ more attention to what your teacher explains.
A. make B. get C. set D. pay
44. Body language is a potent form of _______ communication.
A. verbal B. non-verbal C. tongue D. oral
45. Our teacher often said, "Who knows the answer? _______ your hand."
A. Raised B. Lift C. Raise D. Heighten
46. This is the instance where big, obvious non-verbal signals are appropriate.
A. situation. B. attention C. place D. matter
47. The boy waved his hands to his mother, who was standing at the school gate, to _______ her attention.
A. attract B. pull C. follow D. tempt
48. If something _______ your attention or your eye, you notice it or become interested in it.
A. pays B. allow C. catches D. wave
49. When you are in a restaurant, you can raise your hand slightly to show that you need assistance.
A. bill B. menu C. help D. food
50. After a _______ hesitation, she began to speak with such a convincing voice.
A. rude B. slight C. small D. impolite
51. He is one of the most _______ bosses I have ever worked with. He behaves rudely to not only me but also others in the staff.
A. thoughtful B. impolite C. attentive D. communicative
52. In many cultures, people signify their agreement by _______ their head.
A. turning B. raising C. pointing D. nodding
53. When you see your teacher approaching you, a slight wave to attract his attention is appropriate.
A. coming nearer to B. catching sight of C. pointing at D. looking up to
54. When you catch someone's _______ you do something to attract his attention so that you can talk to him.
A. head B. hand C. eye D. ear
55. When the play finished the audience stood up and _______ their hands loudly.
A. clapped B. nodded C. shook D. hold
56. It is _______ not to say "Thank you" when you are given something.
A. small B. rude C. slight D. formal
57. A whistle is the _______ for the football players to begin the match.
A. communication B. instance C. attention D. signal
58. It is often considered to be impolite to _______ at someone.
A. look B. smile C. point D. raise
59. He is not really friendly and makes no attempt to be _______.
A. society B. social C. socialize D. sociable
60. She sent me a _______ letter thanking me for my invitation.
A. polite B. politely C. politeness D. impoliteness
1. with black hair and eyes, she is___________ of the people from her country.
A. the same B. typical C. similar D. identical
2. Military is __in this country. Every man who reaches the age of 18 has to serve in the army for two years.
A. compulsory B. optional C. illegal D. unnecessary
3. People tend to work hard at this_________ of life.
A. distance B. stage C. space D. level
4. Concern for the environment is now at the_______ of many governments' policies.
A. core B. aim C. target D. purpose
5. Although he has not got necessary experience, he used to take a _______ in business administration.
A. curriculum B. course C. school D. class
The college offers both _______ and professional qualifications.
a. government b. experience c. requirement d. academic
7. In the UK,__schools refer to government-funded schools which provide education free of charge to pupils.
a. state b. secondary c. independent d. primary
8. The functional skills such as fundamentals of agriculture, health and hygiene and population education have also been incorporated in the primary school _______.
a. curriculum b. project c. plan d. schedule
9. Education has been developed in _______ with modern industry and the mass media.
a. compulsory b. parallel c. selected d. following
10. Fee-paying schools, often called "independent schools", "private schools" or “_______ schools"
a. college b. primary c. secondary d. public
11. In Scotland, students transfer from primary to secondary education at approximately age 10
a. compound b. base c. change d. move
As an _______, Mr. Pike is very worried about the increasing of juvenile delinquency.
a. educate b. education c. educator d. educative
13. School uniform is compulsory in most of Vietnamese schools.
a. depended b. required c. divided d. paid
14. The United Nations Secretary-General has often spoken of the need for individual _______ and human rights in his speeches.
a. free b. freedom c. freely d. freeing
15. A/An _______is an official document stating that you have passed an examination, completed a course, or achieved some necessary qualifications.
a. certificate b. requirement c. education d. test
16. Peter is trying his best to study in hope that he will _______ fame and fortune in the near future.
a. lose b. run c. move d. achieve
17. _______ is the study of the events of the past.
a. Geography b. History c. Arts d. Literature
18. She was the first in her family to enjoy the privilege of a university _____.
a. schedule b. education c. science d. technology
19. English is an important _______ that is required in several national examinations:
a. language b. test c. evaluation d. subject
20. _______ is the study of the Earth's physical features and the people, plants, and animals that live in different regions of the world.
a. Science b. Geography c. History d. Technology
21. He graduated with doctorates of _______ and surgery from Florence, gaining the highest honors that year.
a. medicine b. medical c. medicate d. medication
22. The making of good habits _______ a determination to keep on training your child.
a. require b. requires c. requirement d. required
23. He was the only _______ that was offered the job.
a. apply b. application c. applicant d. applying
24. A university is an -institution of higher education and research, which grants ____degrees at all levels in a
variety of subjects.
a. secondary b. optional c. academic d. vocational
25. ____________ is the medical treatment of animals.
a. Chemistry b. Pharmacy c. Medicine d. Veterinary
26. A _______is an area of knowledge or study, especially one that you study at school, college, or university.
a. degree b. subject c. level d. vacancy
27. Most _______ are at senior level, requiring appropriate qualifications.
a. degrees b. grades c. colleges d. vacancies
28. She reads newspapers every day to look for the vacant _______ for which she can apply.
a. institutions b. indications c. positions d. locations
29. He had been expected to cope well with examinations and _______ good results.
a. achieve b. consider c. last d. object
30. He has not been offered the job because he cannot meet the _______ of the company.
a. requirements b. applicants c. information d. education
31. _______ education is normally taken to include undergraduate arid postgraduate education, as well as
vocational education and training.
a. Primary b. Tertiary c. Secondary d. Intermediate
32. The University of Cambridge is a prestigious _______ of higher learning in the UK
a. tower b. hall c. house d. institute
33. - Which subject do you _______ at university? - I major in Maths.
a. do b. make c. practice d. demonstrate
34. A ______is an official document that you receive when you have completed a course of study or training.
a. vocation b. subject c. certificate d. grade
35. In many countries, prospective university students apply for _______ during their last year of high school.
a. achievement b. information c. course d. admission
36. Parents can express a _______ for the school their child attends.
a. prefer b. preference c. preferential d. preferable
37. Many people have objected to the use of animals in _____ experiments.
a. science b. scientist c. scientific d. scientifically
38. I would like to invite you to participate in the _______ceremony.
a. graduate b. graduated c. graduation d. graduating
39. Mr. Pike provided us with an _______ guide to the full-time and part-time programs on offer to a range of
candidates drawn from schools and colleges.
a. inform b. informative c. informed d. information
40. Not many places at the universities are left, so choice is on a severe _______.
a. limiting b. limitation c. delimitation d. limited
41. Many children are under such a high _______ of learning that they do not feel happy at school.
a. recommendation b. interview c. pressure d. concentration
42. She likes meeting people and traveling so she wants to apply for a _____of a receptionist or tourist guide.
a. location b. position c. site d. word
43. To my _______, I was not offered the job.
a. happiness b. dream c. joy d. disappointment
44. Being well-dress and punctual can help you create a good _______ on your interviewer.
a. impression b. pressure c. employment d. effectiveness
45. She often reads newspapers and look through the Situations _______ columns every day, but up to now she has not found any job yet.
a. Article b. Space c. Vacant d. Spot
46. Doctors have to assume _______ for human life.
a. responsible b. responsibly c. responsibility d. responsibled
47. _______ is increasing, which results from economic crisis.
a. Employment b. Unemployment c. Employ d. Unemployed
48. He was offered the job thanks to his _______ performance during his job interview.
a. impress b. impression c. impressive d. impressively
49. His work involves helping students to find temporary _______ during their summer vacation.
a. decision b. employment c. choice d. selection
50. To prepare for your job interview, you should jot down your qualifications and experience as well as some
important information about yourself.
a. draw b. place c. put d. write
51. When being interviewed, you should concentrate on what the interviewer is saying or asking you.
a. be related to b. be interested in c. pay all attention to d. express interest to
52. Before _______ for a position, check whether you can fulfill all the requirements from the employer.
a. deciding b. applying c. requiring d. demanding
53. If you are __ for a particular job, someone asks you questions about yourself to find out if you suitable for it.
a. paid b. chosen c. interviewed d. recommended
54. You should ask the interviewer some questions about the job to show your _______ and keenness.
a. anger b. thrill c. amazement d. interest
55. The interviewer gave his consent to John's _______ for work and promised to give him a job.
a. keen b. keenly c. keener d. keenness
56. _______! I have heard of your success in the new project.
a. Congratulate b. Congratulating c. Congratulation d. Congratulations
57. It is _______ to fail a job interview, but try again.
a. disappoint b. disappointing c. disappointedly d. disappointment
58. Her job was so _______ that she decided to quit it.
a. interesting b. satisfactory c. stressful d. wonderful
59. Some days of rest may help to _______ the pressure of work.
a. reduce b. lower c. chop d. crease
60. Can you please tell me some information that _______ to the job?
a. indicates b. expresses c. interests d. relates
1. It is quite important _______ me to get on and think.
A. of B. to C. on D. with
2. The new policies include cutting _______ subsidies and trade barriers.
A. agriculture B. agricultural C. agriculturalist D. agriculturally
3. The control of _______ has been carried out through measures rooted in monetarism.
A. inflate B. inflationist C. inflation D. inflator
4. It is often a good idea to start with small, easily _______ goals.
A. achieve B. achievement C. achievable D. achiever
5. Economic reforms began in the Soviet Union in June 1985 by the Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to _______ the Soviet economy.
A. repair B. reproduce C. restructure D. reply
6. After more than a decade of Doi Moi or economic _______, the Vietnamese Communist government has achieved diplomatic and economic links with numerous foreign partners.
A. relation B. investment C. productivity D. renovation
7. For more than 20 years, the Vietnamese government has pursued the open-door _____and continued to woo foreign investment.
A. policy B. way C. export D. guideline
8. After a decade of economic liberalization, Vietnam has seen a dramatic rise in living ______in urban areas.
A. surface B. standards C. levels D. backgrounds
9._______ laws and regulations which impose restrictions on any rights should be revised to comply with international law.
A. Domestic B. Program C. Encouraged D. Expanding
10. These new economic reforms have allowed for international _______ and development in the country.
A. pay B. renovation C. investment D. opportunity
11. In 2001 ______Vietnamese Communist Party approved a 10-year economic plan that enhanced the role of
the, private sector while reaffirming the primacy of the state.
A. a B. an C. the D. Ø
12. Economic reforms are often carried _______ to promote the developing of a country.
A. out B. on C. for D. in
13. For more than ten years, we have seen the significant _______ in the economy of our country.
A. develop B. developments C. developers D. developed
14. Henry was a studious student. He needed no _______ to work hard.
A. encourage B. encouraging C. encouragement D. encouraged
15. During the time of economic reforms, the economy has grown _______ with only a few major setbacks.
A. constant B. constantly C. constants D. constancy
16. The _____effect of the new policy is that the farmer is now working for himself, and not for the state sake.
A. legal B. common C. all D. overall
17. Considering peasants make up nearly 80% of Vietnam's population.
A. specialists B. economists C. professors D. farmers
18. The Doi Moi reforms have _______ new possibilities in farming systems research in Vietnam.
A. risen B. opened C. renovated D. called
19. The introduction of appropriate farming practices to Vietnam farmers can help them achieve a higher output.
A. productivity B. renovation C. guideline D. achievement
20. There was a shortage _______ food and safe water after the flood.
A. on B. with C. for D. of
21. Constant _______ of attack makes everyday life dangerous here.
A. threat B. threaten C. threatening D. threateningly
22. No one can predict the future exactly. Things may happen _______.
A. expected B. unexpected C. expectedly D. unexpectedly
23. Someone who is _______ is hopeful about the future or the success of something in particular.
A. powerful B. optimistic C. stagnant D. pessimistic
24. There will be powerful network of computers which may come from a single computing _______ that is worn on or in the body.
A. device B. machinery C. equipment D. vehicle
25. A _______ is a spacecraft that is designed to travel into space and back to earth several times.
A. a. plane B. corporation C. telecommunication D. shuttle
26. An economic _______ is a time when there is very little economic activity, which causes a lot of
unemployment and poverty.
A. improvement B. depression C. development D. mission
27. In the future many large corporations will be wiped out and millions of jobs will be lost.
A. companies B. services C. supermarkets D. farms
28. The more powerful weapons are, the more terrible the _______ is.
A. creativity B. history C. terrorism D. technology
29. The medical community continues to make progress in the fight against cancer.
A. speed B. expectation C. improvement D. treatment
30. What are your plans for _______ future?
A. a B. an C. the D. Ø
31. In the future, the number of tiny but _______ computers you encounter every day will number in the
thousands, perhaps millions.
A. power B. powerful C. powerfully D. powered
32. Advances in computing _______, from processing speed to network capacity and the internet, have revolutionized the way scientists work.
A. technology B. technological C. technologically D. technologist
33. What will the relationship between computing and _______ bring us over the next 15 years?
A. science B. scientific C. scientifically D. scientist
34. Someone who is _______ thinks that bad things are going to happen.
A. optimistic B. pessimistic C. threatened D. hopeful
35. Domestic chores will no longer be a burden thanks to the inventions of laborsaving devices.
A. Official B. Household C. Schooling D. Foreign
36. The idea of building a _______ with human intelligence is not only ambitious but also highly unconventional.
A. robot B. corporation C. line D. road
37. Washing machines, vacuum cleaners, and dish washers are labor _______ devices which help us do
housework easily and quickly.
A. improving B. making C. saving D. employing
38. Those companies were closed due to some seriously financial problems.
A. taken off B. put away C. wiped out D. gone over
39. The computer allows us to work fast and _______.
A. efficiently B. differently C. variously D. freshly
40. Many people think that in some more years we will see the complete _______ of newspapers and magazines due to the Internet.
A. disappear B. disappearance C. appear D. appearing
41. ________ Sahara of ________ Africa is the world's largest desert.
A. Ø / the B. The / Ø C. A / an D. The / an
42. The Sahara contains complex linear dunes that are ________ by almost 6 kilometers.
A. developed B. separated C. lay D. located
43. A _______ is a landscape or region that receives very little precipitation.
A. dune B. desert C. sandy area D. shrub land
44. Deserts are often composed of ________ and rocky surfaces.
A. water B. trees C. oil D. sand
45. Three great stretches of sandy deserts almost circle the center of Australia.
A. dunes B. valleys C. lands D. areas
46. Deserts are also classified by their ________ location and dominant weather pattern.
A. geographical B. aerial C. sandy D. facial
47. Thanks to pictures taken by satellites, deserts have not ________ a mystery in our time.
A. hidden B. intended C. remained D. attained
48. Can you make a ________ estimate of how much our expedition in the desert may be?
A. rough B. roughly C. roughing D. roughen
49. Several ________ advanced countries have had plans to make desert more hospitable.
A. science B. scientific C. scientifically D. scientist
50. In the northern part of the Simpson Desert, the dunes are separated by ________ of low, open shrubland.
A. streets B. ways C. corridors D. lines
51. A ________ is a small raised area of ground, like a very small hill.
A. slope B. hummock C. dune D. shrub
52. We used to climb up the crest of the hill to get a good view of the surroundings.
A. top B. foot C. middle D. face
53. Scientific ________ help to explore some places and discover more and more remote parts of the world.
A. survey B. lead C. research D. expedition
54. The wind that blows in the desert comes ________ far away waters.
A. for B. with C. in D. from
55. Some sand dunes may be over 200 meters ________ height.
A. with B. at C. on D. in
1. Birds aren’t all the same. There are many different _____.
A. categories B. species C. animals D. plants
2. The rhinoceros will become ___ if people continue to hurt them.
A. extinct B. instinct C. distinct D. extinction
3. Thousands of species of animals and plants are ____ and the number decreases each year.
A. danger B. dangerous C. endanger D. endangered
4. If one species becomes extinct, the whole chain will be ___ seriously.
A. disappeared B. killed C. damaged D. threatened
5. We depend on species diversity to provide food, clean air and water.
A. popularity B. existence C. development D. variety
6. More than a billion people all over the world are under the threat of desert____.
A. increase B. expansion C. extension D. development
7. Biologists have introduced a global list of endangered and vulnerable animal species.
A. rare and specious B. small but invaluable C. weak and easily hurt D. strong and unusual
8. Government have passed laws to protect wildlife from commercial trade.
A. enabled B. enforced C. enacted D. ensured
9. The government is now trying to protect gorilla to ensure their ____.
A. life B. existence C. survival D. growth
10. Everyone is worried about the ___ of the rainforests.
A. destruction B. protection C. species D. extinction
11. Without ___ all the resources necessary for life would be damaged, wasted or destroyed.
A. conversation B. biodiversity C. extinction D. destruction
12. Many people are interested in watching ___.
A. wildlife B. wilds C. wilderness D. wildly
13. This species has nearly died out because its ___ is being destroyed.
A. environment B. habitat C. land D. forest
14. The primary causes of species extinction are habitat destruction, commercial ___ and pollution.
A. exploit B. exploiting C. exploitation D. exploitative
15. Toxic chemicals in the air and land have also driven many species to the ___ of extinction.
A. border B. limit C. verge D. edge
16. It is ___ to cross the sea in a small boat.
A. danger B. endanger C. dangerous D. endangered
17. Do you think plants and animals, however small or oversized, all contribute to the ____?
A. conversation B. extinction C. destruction D. biodiversity
18. Many African and Asian nations have set aside land called ___ to protect the habitats of elephants and other wild animals.
A. reserves B. species C. wildlife D. forest
19. Over 120 ___ of birds have been recorded in this national park.
A. species B. diversity C. animals D. individuals
20. The mountain gorilla is on the verge of ___.
A. extinct B. extraction C. extinguish D. extinction
21. Reviewers often ___ books as “hard to put down” or “hard to pick up again”.
A. describe B. illustrate C. classify D. choose
22. Have you got any books on business methods or any similar ___?
A. subject B. content C. author D. matter
23. How are the books in this library___?
A. divided B. named C. gathered D. classified
24. Robert’s new book will be ___ in August.
A. typed B. published C. broadcast D. announced
25. I’m reading a Stephen King’s novel. It’s really exciting and I couldn’t ___.
A. get it off B. put it down C. take it on D. look it up
26. Children tend to read ___ books that tell stories through pictures.
A. novel B. fiction C. science D. comic
27. What kind of readers would you ___ this book?
A. advise B. introduce C. recommend D. persuade
28. Watching videos is becoming a popular form of ___.
A. entertain B. entertainment C. entertainer D. entertaining
29. After talking to Mary for ten minutes, George paused, waiting for her to ___the information.
A. taste B. chew C. swallow D. digest
30. Mr. Johnson was so busy that he only had enough time to ___ the report before he attended the meeting.
A. dip into B. review C. go over D. pick up
31. The book ___ me of the days I was in the army.
A. remembers B. reminds C. recalls D. recollects
32. Most novels are divided into several___.
A. chapters B. units C. sections D. passages
33. Cambridge University Press is the ___ of the book you are reading.
A. author B. editor C. printer D. publisher
34. Ernest Hemingway is one of my ___ American writers.
A. best B. favourite C. ideal D. most popular
35. I’d like to ___ that book when you’ve read it.
A. borrow B. hire C. lend D. loan
36. The plot of the novel was exciting, but I didn’t find the ___ very interesting.
A. characters B. figures C. people D. persons
37. The dictionary is too expensive for me. I can’t ___ it.
A. spend B. cost C. afford D. pay
38. ___ books tell stories from the author’s imagination.
A. Fiction B. Picture C. Coloured D. Long
39. If you can’t find what you are looking for in the book, use the ___.
A. index B. list C. preface D. directory
40. He’s a ___ boy. He knows everything from books never gives any logical and practical solutions.
A. bookworm B. bookish C. bookbinder D. book-keeper
41. Runners from eight different countries will be competing in the next ___.
A. race B. place C. record D. course
42. It is common knowledge that sportmen ___ themselves in good form by regular swimming.
A. put B. make C. take D. keep
43. Synchronized swimming is a sport in which groups of swimmers ___ in patterns in the water to music.
A. go B. move C. dive D. jump
44. Wind – surfing is a common term for two similar ___ sports: sail-surfing and sail- boarding.
A. water B. wind C. sail D. board
45. Volleyball, basketball, football are ___ games.
A. team B. group C. crowd D. class
46. Rowing is the sport or activity of travelling in a boat by using ___.
A. air tanks B. sails C. boards D. oars
47. Unlike football, a water polo game is ___ into quarters.
A. divided B. separated C. cut D. played
48. In 1918, Smith ___ the record for the world’s longest flight by flying 2,350 miles from Cairo to Calcutta.
A. smashed B. split C. cracked D. broke
49. One of the four period of time in which a game of American football is divided is known as a ___.
A. part B. half C. quarter D. stage
50. The ___ is the official who controls the game in some sports.
A. player B. captain C. referee D. defender
51. In water polo, holding balls with two hands and punching ball are ___.
A. errors B. fouls C. faults D. mistakes
52. A kick taken as a penalty in the game of football is called a penalty kick or ___ kick.
A. punishment B. foul C. opposition D. spot
53. Any players who commit 5 personal fouls will be ___.
A. rejected B. ejected C. sacked D. dismissed
54. In water polo the ball can be ___ by passing with one hand.
A. advanced B. forwarded C. thrown D. kicked
55. No player except the ___ can hold the ball with two hands.
A. goalie B. referee C. defensive player D. striker
56. Katherine Curtis developed the ___ for the competition of synchronized swimming.
A. regulations B. formula C. laws D. principles
57. The whole audience objected to their foul play during the football match.
A. clumsy B. dependent C. imperfect D. unfair
58. The match ended in a ___.
A. foul B. tie C. range D. penalty
59. William won first ___ in the tennis competition.
A. medal B. prize C. reward D. position
60. If you ___ the goalie, there are seven players in a team.
A. gather B. conclude C. collect D. include
1. Johnny used to be one of the most _______ athletes in my country.
A. succeed B. success C. successful D. successfully
2. The 22nd SEA Games consisted of athletes from eleven _____ countries.
A. participate B. participant C. participation D. participating
3. _______, the athlete broke the world's record with two attempts.
A. Surprise B. Surprised C. Surprising D. Surprisingly
4. On behalf of the referees and athletes, referee Hoang Quoc Vinh and shooter Nguyen Manh Tuong swore to an oath of "_______, Honesty and Fair Play".
A. Performance B. Delegation C. Participation D. Solidarity
5. The ASEAN Para-Games are hosted by the same country where the SEA Games took place.
A. organized B. impressed C. participated D. defended
6. The ASEAN Para-Games is a biannual multi-sport _______ held after every Southeast Asian Games for
athletes with physical disabilities.
A. games B. event C. work D. situation
7. In beach volleyball, Indonesia defeated Thailand in straight sets to take men's gold _______.
A. present B. award C. medal D. reward
8. The 22nd SEA Games was the first time when Vietnam finished top of the medal _______.
A. standings B. events C. spirits D. programs
9. Viet Nam's successful hosting of the 22nd SEA Games is considered a/an _____ example for other countries to follow, particularly in honesty, consistence and organizing method.
A. festival B. peaceful C. energetic D. outstanding
10. The number of Vietnamese sport officials and referees of international standard taking part in regional
tournaments has increased rapidly.
A. hosting B. participating C. achieving D. succeeding
11. At the 23rd SEA Games, Viet Nam proved its position in the region by ____ third behind the host - the
Philippines and second-ranked Thailand.
A. finishing B. playing C. preparing D. performing
12. In the 22nd SEA Games in 2003, the country _______ the competition with 340 medals, including 156 golds, 91 silvers and 93 bronzes.
A. defended B. cost C. topped D. ranked
13. To improve its athletes' _______, Viet Nam has regularly exchanged delegation of sport officials, coaches,
referees and athletes with other countries.
A. team B. competitor C. appearance D. performance
14. _______ is the activity of doing special exercises regularly in order to make your muscles grow bigger.
A. Wrestling B. Bodybuilding C. Weightlifting D. Badminton
15. He is a great sports _______. He rarely misses any sport games although he was busy.
A. enthusiast B. player C. energy D. programmer
16. At the 23rd SEA Games, Viet Nam proved its position in the region by ____ third behind the host - the
Philippines and second-ranked Thailand.
A. finishing B. playing C. preparing D. performing
17. How many _______ took part in the 22nd SEA Games?
A. compete B. competitors C. competition D. competitor
18. The second part of the program in the 22nd SEA Games opening ceremony was named "_______ for Peace".
A. Cooperate B. Cooperation C. Cooperative D. Cooperatively
19. The _______ wanted to reduce the breadth of the games, with many events currently having small fields and weak competition.
A. organize B. organization C. organizable D. organizers
20. Before the 22nd SEA Games, Vietnam had made a good _______ in every aspect.
A. prepare B. preparation C. preparative D. preparer
21. ASEAN press praised the great _______ of Vietnamese athletes at the 22nd SEA Games.
A. sports B. sportsman C. sporting D. sportsmanship
22. The success of the 22nd SEA Games had a great contribution of many _______ volunteers.
A. support B. supporter C. supportive D. supportively
23. Since its rejoining in the Southeast Asian arena in 1989, Viet Nam's sports have made great _______,
particularly in recent SEA Games.
A. success B. invention C. host D. game
24. The athlete had tried his best to _______ his SEA Games title and records.
A. carry B. perform C. defend D. support
25. Viet Nam is now willing to _______ part in the 24th SEA Games hosted by Thailand by the end of 2007 with a total of 958 athletes.
A. play B. lose C. take D. enjoy
26. The International Committee Red Cross has about 12,000 staff members worldwide, about 800 of them
working in its Geneva _______.
A. factories B. companies C. headquarters D. buildings
27. The Red Cross on white background was the original protection ___declared at the 1864 Geneva Convention.
A. poster B. billboard C. symbol D. signal
28. The Red Cross is an international organization that helps people who are suffering from the results of war,
diseases or _______.
A. victims B. disasters C. opportunities D. conditions
29. Be careful! The tree is going to fall.
A. Look out B. Look up C. Look on D. Look after
30. The organization was established in 1950 in the USA.
A. come around B. set up C. made out D. put on
31. The International Red Cross helps people in need without any discrimination based on _______, race, religion, class or political opinions.
A. national B. nationally C. nationality D. native
32. The International Committee of the Red Cross is a private ___institution founded in 1863 in Geneva, Switzerland
A. human B. humanity C. humanization D. humanitarian
33. In former days, after the battles soldiers on both sides died or were left wounded on the field without any
_______ attendance and basic care.
A. medicine B. medical C. medication D. medically
34. The International Red Cross has about 97 million volunteers whose main _______ is to protect human life and health.
A. mission B. experience C. organization D. rule
35. The International Red Cross helps to ensure respect for the human being, and to prevent and relieve human ____. A. protection B. enjoyment C. wealthy D. sufferings
36. An international medical conference initiated by Davison resulted in the birth of the League of Red Cross
Societies in 1991.
A. started B. helped C. treated D. dedicated
37. In times of war, the Red Cross is dedicated to reducing the sufferings of wounded soldiers, civilians, and
prisoners of war.
A. mounted B. excited C. devoted D. interested
38. _______ is a situation in which large numbers of people have little or no food, and many of them die.
A. Disaster B. Famine C. Poverty D. Flood.
39. Within their home country, National Red Cross and Red Crescent societies assume the duties and
responsibilities of a national relief society.
A. take on B. get off C. go about D. put in
40. The bomb exploded in the garage; fortunately no one hurt.
A. put on B. went off C. got out D. kept up
41. She sustained severe head _______ after being thrown from her horse.
A. injure B. injured C. injuries D. injurious
42. According to World Bank figures, 41 per cent of Brazilians live in absolute _______.
A. poor B. poorer C. poorly D. poverty
43. Up until the middle of the 19th century, there were no ____and well established army nursing systems for
A. organize B. organized C. organizational D. organizers
44. The AIDS _______ continues to spread around the world. Up to 4,000 people are infected with the HIV virus every single day.
A. treatment B. epidemic C. tsunami D. damage
45. During World War II, the Red Cross organized relief assistance for _______ and wounded soldiers and
administered the exchange of messages regarding prisoners and missing persons.
A. civilians B. governments C. authorities D. members
46. A _____is a very large wave, often caused by an earthquake that flows onto the land and destroys things. A. famine B. catastrophe C. tsunami D. flood
47. By the end of World War II, 179 _______ of the Red Cross had conducted 12,750 visits to POW (prisoner of war) camps in 41 countries.
A. conferences B. symbols C. missions D. delegates
48. We oppose this war, as we would do any other war which created an environmental catastrophe.
A. pollution B. disaster C. convention D. epidemic
49. The first relief assistance mission organized by the League was an aid mission for the _______ of a famine and subsequent typhus epidemic in Poland.
A. leaders B. authorities C. victims D. organizers
50. The 1923 earthquake in Japan killed about 200,000 people and left countless wounded and homeless.
A. poor B. imprisoned C. suffered D. injured
51. In 2004 more than 40 national societies have worked with more than 22,000 _______ to bring relief to the
countless victims of the earthquake.
A. actions B. volunteers C. founders D. nations
52. How are you _______ on with your work? - It is OK.
A. calling B. getting C. laying D. looking
53. All payments to the ICRC are _______ and are received as donations.
A. volunteer B. voluntary C. voluntarily D. voluntariness
54. The Red Cross organizes and leads relief assistance missions after ______, such as natural disasters, man-
made disasters, and epidemics.
A. emergent B. emergencies C. emergently D. emergence
55. One of the tasks of the Red Cross is also to support local _____ care projects.
A. health B. healthy C. healthful D. healthily
56. The International Red Cross and Red Crescent _______ occurs once every four years.
A. Globe B. Society C. Conference D. Nations
57.The mission of the Red Cross is also to supervise the _______ of prisoners of war.
A. education B. encouragement C. treatment D. runaway
58. The total number of national Red Cross societies from all over the world has mounted to 186.
A. protected B. devoted C. increased D. aimed
59. Henri Davison, president of the American Red Cross war Committee proposed forming a federation of these National Societies.
A. took B. dedicated C. carried D. suggested
60. Fifty per cent of road accidents results in head injuries.
A. examines B. heals C. causes D. treats
61. Jean Henri Dunant was appalled by the almost complete lack of care for wounded soldiers.
A. dedicated B. shocked C. interested D. excited
62. The mission statement of the International Movement as formulated in the "Strategy 2010" document of the
Federation is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity.
A. weak and unprotected B. wealthy and famous C. poor and disabled D. deaf and mute
63. The authority _______ down that building to build a supermarket.
A. knocked B. came C. went D. fell
64. In some most Asian countries women are undervalued and they never have the same ___ as men.
A. formality B. basis C. limit D. status
65. What does "WWW" ________ for? Is it short for “world wide web?”
A. sit B. stand C. lie D. point
66. Not all women can do two jobs well at the same time: rearing children and working at office.
A. educating B. taking care of C. homemaking D. giving a birth
67. There have been significant changes in women's lives since the women's liberation movement.
A. controlled B. economic C. important D. natural
68. Childbearing is the women's most wonderful role.
A. Giving birth to a baby B. Having no child C. Bring up a child D. Educating a child
69. Most people consider it women's ________ to take care of children and do housework.
A. limit B. relationship C. responsibility D. respect
70. Mrs. Pike is a feminist, who ________ that women should be offered the same job opportunities as men.
A. varies B. advocates C. leads D. votes
71. It is against the law to _______ on the basis of sex, age, marital status, or race.
A. suit B. discriminate C. believe D. gain
72. Women's status ______ in different countries and it depends on the cultural beliefs.
A. varies B. employs C. fixes D. establishes
73. Women's contribution to our society has been ______ better these days.
A. differently B. naturally C. intellectually D. significantly
74. Many of young people between the ages of 16 and 18 who are neither in education nor ________ are in danger of wasting their lives.
A. power B. ability C. nature D. employment
75. ASEAN helps to ____ regional cooperation in Southeast Asia in the spirit of equality and partnership
A. invest B. promote C. admit D. invest
76. Rice is the _______ exported product of Vietnam.
A. main B. free C. average D. rural
77. Southeast Asia is a region of diverse cultures.
A. same B. adopted C. various D. respected
78. ASEAN also works for the _______ of peace and stability in the region.
A. promote B. promotion C. promotional D. promoter
79. The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, commonly referred to as ASEAN, is a geo-political and _______organization.
A. economy B. economic C. economics D. economical
80. The motivations for the birth of ASEAN were the desire for a _______ environment.
A. stable B. stability C. stably D. stabilize
81. ASEAN was founded on 8 August, 1967 with five ________: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines.
A. members B. competitors C. leaders D. statesmen
82. ASEAN is an organization on the Southeast Asian region that aims to _______ economic growth, social
progress, and cultural development.
A. account B. include C. accelerate D. respect
83. The aims of the Association of Southeast Asia include the evolvement of economic growth, social progress, cultural development among its members, and the promotion of regional peace.
A. goals B. organizations C. missions D. plans
84. ASEAN has emphasized cooperation in the "three pillars" of security, socio cultural and economic _______ in the region.
A. organization B. production C. integration D. establishment
85. The ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) is an agreement by the member nations of ASEAN concerning local manufacturing in all ASEAN countries.
A. progressing B. producing C. combining D. aiming
86. ASEAN has planned equitable economic development and reduced poverty and ___disparities in year 2020.
A. socio-politic B. socio-cultural C. socio-linguistic D. socio-economic
87. ASEAN's aims include the acceleration of economic growth, _______ progress, cultural, development among its members, and the promotion of regional peace.
A. society B. social C. socially D. socialize
88. A combined gross domestic _______ of the member countries of ASEAN has grown at an average rate of
around 6% per year.
A. produce B. productivity C. production D. product
89. One of ASEAN's objectives is to help people think about peace and _______ and do something about it. A. origin B. justice C. statistics D. record
90. There are plenty of industrial _______ established in the area, which also makes the government worried about pollution. A. series B. goods C. enterprises D. relationships
91. Free _____ area is a designated group of countries that have agreed to eliminate tariffs, quotas, and preferences on most goods among them.
A. trade B. cultural C. stable D. adopted
92. The ASEAN Investment Area aims to enhance the competitiveness of the region for attracting direct
investment which flows into and within ASEAN.
A. produce B. combine C. found D. improve
93. ASEAN has ___a community of Southeast' Asian nations at peace with one another and at peace with the world.
A. joined B. estimated C. established D. solved
94. Throughout the 1970s, ASEAN embarked on a program of economic _______.
A. cooperate B. cooperation C. cooperative D. cooperatively
95. 2007 was the 40th anniversary of the _______ of ASEAN.
A. found B. founder C. foundation D. founding
96. Vietnam asked for _______ to ASEAN in 1995.
A. admit B. admission C. admissive D. admissible
97. ASEAN economic cooperation _______ many areas, such as agriculture, industry, services, transportations, and tourism.
A. creates B. contains C. consists D. covers
98. ASEAN bodies in addressing global and regional concerns such as food security, _______ and disaster
A. realization B. energy C. plan D. diversity
99. The 8th ASEAN Science and Technology Week is now being ____ in Manila from 1 to 11 July 2008.
A. held B. joined C. related D. combined
100. The ASEAN Science and Technology Week aims to promote science and technology _____in the region. A. tourism B. solution C. forestry D. development
Chia sẻ với bạn bè của bạn: