Câu 4: Chọn từ mà phần gạch chân có cách phát âm khác với những từ còn lại.
A. confusedB. shockedC. relaxedD. astonished
Câu 5: Xác định từ hoặc cụm từ có gạch dưới cần phải sửa để câu trở thành chính xác.
He has (A) so much (B) money that he doesn’t know (C) what to do with them (D).
Câu 6: Xác định từ hoặc cụm từ có gạch dưới cần phải sửa để câu trở thành chính xác.
When (A) I entered (B) the room, everyone were (C) watching (D) a film.
Câu 7: Chọn câu ứng với A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp với câu sau:
John is still too young to join the police.
A. Tom isn’t old enough to join the police.
B. Tom isn’t enough old to join the police.
C. Tom isn’t old enough for joining the police.
D. Tom isn’t so old that he can’t join the police.
Câu 8: Chọn câu ứng với A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp với câu sau:
Although the traffic was bad. I arrived on time.
A. Despite of the bad traffic, I arrived on time.
B. In spite of the bad traffic, I arrived on time.
C. In spite of the traffic was bad, I arrived on time.
D. Despite that the traffic was bad, I arrived on time.
Câu 9: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
A good ......... of English will help you find a job more easily.
A. expectation B. condition C. knowledge D. satisfaction
Đọc đoạn văn và trả lời các câu hỏi bằng cách chọn phương án đúng ứng với A, B, C hoặc D từ câu 10 đến câu 14
If you are invited to someone’s house in America for dinner, you should bring a gift, such as a bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates. If you give your host a wrapped gift, he/she may open it in front to you. Opening a gift in front of the gift-giver is considered polite. It shows that the host is excited about receiving the gift and wants to show his/her appreciation to you immediately. Even if the host doesn’t like it, he/she will tell “a white lie” and say how much they like the gift to prevent the guest from feeling bad.
If your host asks you to arrive at the particular time, you should not arrive exactly on time or earlier than expected time, because this is considered to be inconvenient and therefore rude, as the host may not be ready.
Câu 10: In America, you should bring to the host’s house ............
A. a box B. a gift C. a bunch D. nothing
Câu 11: Opening a gift in front of the gift-giver is ............
A. impolite B. unkind C. not rude D. rude
Câu 12: Why does the host open the gift in front of you?
Because he wants to show ..............
A. his grateful recognition of your action B. his rudeness
C. his disappointment D. his impoliteness
Câu 13: “A white lie” is told in order to ..............
A. avoid hurting somebody B. make somebody feel bad
Câu 15: Chọn câu ứng với A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp với câu sau:
She won’t come unless you invite her.
A. She won’t come if you don’t invite her.
B. She won’t come even if you invite her.
C. She won’t come although you invite her.
D. She will come even if you don’t invite her.
Chọn từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để điền vào chỗ trống trong đoạn văn sau từ câu 16đến câu 25
Jack London (1876 – 1916) is an American writer whose work combined powerful realism and humanitarian sentiment. He was (16) ........ in San Francisco. After finishing grammar (17) ..........., Jack London worked at various jobs and in 1897 and 1898 he participated (18)........... the Alaska Gold Rush. Upon his return to the San Francisco area, he began to (19) ............ about his experiences. A collection of his short stories, The Son of the Golf, was (20) ............ in 1900. Jack’s colourful life, during which he wrote more than 50 books and which included enormous popular successes as an (21) .........., ended in his suicide at the (22) ........... of 40.
Many of his stories including his masterpiece The Call of the Wild deal with the reversion of a civilized creature to the primitive state. Jack London’s style – brutal, vivid and exciting – (23) ........... him enormously popular outside the United States; His (24) ........ were translated into many languages. Jack’s important works include People of the Abyss about the poor in London; the Sea Wolf, a novel based on the author’s experiences on a seal hunting ship; John Barleycorn , an autobiographical novel about Jack’s struggle (25)............. alcoholism.
Câu 16: A. grown B. born C. developed D. lived
Câu 17: A. lessons B. course C. notes D. school
Câu 18: A. in B. to C. at D. of
Câu 19: A. speak B. read C. talk D. write
Câu 20: A. printed B. ordered C. sold D. published
Câu 21: A. architect B. author C. actor D. orator
Câu 22: A. moment B. age C. time D. year
Câu 23: A. gave B. let C. made D. did
Câu 24: A. speeches B. sayings C. words D. works
Câu 25: A. to B. for C. against D. of
Câu 26: Chọn từ có trọng âm chính nhấn vào âm tiết có vị trí khác với các từ còn lại.
A. conspicuous B. continental C. miraculous D. conventional
Câu 27: Xác định từ hoặc cụm từ có gạch dưới cần phải sửa để câu trở thành chính xác.
He never goes(A) home before (B) he will finish (C) his work(D).
Câu 28: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
Everybody in the house woke up when the burglar alarm ..........
A. went off B. got off C. got up D. went out
Câu 29: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
He is unhappy because of his ...........
A. deafness B. deafly C. deafen D. deaf
Câu 30: Are you accustomed to ............. 12 hours a day.
A. be working B. worked C. working D. work
Câu 31: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
After you graduate from the university, you still have to .......... studying.
A. get out B. go on C. get on D. go over
Câu 32: Chọn câu ứng với A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp với câu sau:
Learning to dance is quite expensive.
A. It is quite expensive to learn to dance.
B. It will be quite expensive if we learn to dance.
C. It is quite expensive for learning to dance.
D. It is quite expensive learning to dance.
Câu 33: Chọn từ có trọng âm chính nhấn vào âm tiết có vị trí khác với các từ còn lại.
A. business B. selection C. preference D. company
Câu 34: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
We have to start early ......... we won’t be late.
A. although B. because C. so that D. that
Câu 35: Chọn câu ứng với A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp với câu sau:
The room was so full that we couldn’t get in.
A. The room was too full that we couldn’t get in.
B. The room was such full that we couldn’t get in.
C. The room was too full so that we couldn’t get in.
D. The room was too full for us to get in.
Câu 36: Chọn câu ứng với A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp với câu sau:
He cycles to work in order to get some exercise.
A. He cycles to work so that he can get some exercise.
B. He cycles to work to get some exercise.
C. He cycles to work in order that he can get some exercise.
D. All are correct.
Câu 37: Xác định từ hoặc cụm từ có gạch dưới cần phải sửa để câu trở thành chính xác.
She has played(A) the (B) piano since(C) she is (D) a child.
Câu 38: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
A girl may or may not ............ when she’s introduced to a man.
A. say hello B. shake hands C. hesitate D. say good day
Câu 39: Chọn từ mà phần gạch chân có cách phát âm khác với những từ còn lại.
A. laser B. label C. basic D. plastic
Câu 40: Chọn từ/cụm từ thích hợp ứng với A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành câu sau:
Doctors are using the laser beam ......... bones in ear surgery.
A. to remove of B. to remove C. removing D. remove
----------- HẾT ----------
Sở GD-ĐT Thừa Thiên Huế ĐỀ THI HỌC KỲ I MÔN TIẾNG ANH LỚP 12
Trường THPT Quốc Học Huế Thời gian làm bài: 45 phút
Năm học: 2008-2009
Họ và tên học sinh: ………………………………….……………….… Lớp: ……….……… SBD: …………………..…
* Choose the word (A, B, C or D) whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others. Mark your choice on the answer sheet.
1. A. parents B. enjoys C. boys D. speeds
2. A. believed B. decided C. supposed D. concerned
3. A. threaten B. tenth C. thoughtful D. although
* Choose the word (A, B, C or D) which is stressed differently from the others. Mark your choice on the answer sheet.
4. A. supportive B. curriculum C. secondary D. certificate
5. A. attract B. person C. common D. verbal
6. A. challenge B. congratulate C. economy D. compulsory
* Choose the answer (A, B, C or D) that best completes each sentence. Mark your choice on the answer sheet.
7. You are not ________ to answer these questions, but it would help if you did.
A. required B. ordered C. suggested D. obliged
8. "I have never felt happier than I do now." is closest in meaning to "_________"
A. I felt happier before.
B. I feel happy now.
C. I have never felt happy.
D. I have always felt happy.
9. He _________ for not coming to the party.
A. denied B. complained C. apologized D. refused
10. Because he _________ the oil for so long, the car broke down.
A. doesn't check B. didn't check C. hasn't checked D. hadn't checked
11. The word "casual" in the sentence "You shouldn't wear casual clothes to an interview." is closest in meaning to "__________".
A. formal B. elegant C. informal D. untidy
12. "Thank you for the nice gift." "__________"
A. But do you know how much it costs? B. You're welcomed.
C. In fact, I myself don't like it. D. I'm glad you like it.
13. In __________ interviews Tom has contradicted his original story.
A. after B. then C. following D. subsequent
14. The building, __________ by the storm, has to be torn down.
A. which severely damaged B. was severely damaged
C. that was severely damaged D. severely damaged
15. The word "impression" in the sentence "Creating a good impression on the interviewer is very important." is closest in meaning to "_________".
A. appearance B. deep, strong effect C. compliment D. pressure
16. He keeps working ________ his feeling unwell.
A. although B. because of C. in spite of D. unless
17. "I must leave now or I will miss the bus." is closest in meaning to "________"
A. If I must leave now, I will miss the bus.
B. I will miss the bus unless I leave now.
C. If I don't miss the bus, I must leave now.
D. If I won't leave now, I must miss the bus.
18. ________ of all of us who are here tonight, I would like to thank Mr Jones for his talk.
A. On account B. On behalf C. In person D. Instead
19. If you had taken my advice, you ________ in such difficulties.
A. wouldn't have been B. hadn't been C. wouldn't been D. won't be
20. "Although they are sisters, they do not look alike." is closest in meaning to "___________"
A. The sisters look alike.
B. They do not look alike because they are not sisters.
C. They look alike but they are not sisters.
D. They do not look alike even though they are sisters.
21. Stronger measures will have to be ___________ to bring down unemployment.
A. taken B. got C. made D. done
22. No one knows for ___________ Joe is working.
A. why B. whom C. that D. who
23. The word "assistance" in the sentence "We can raise our hand slightly to show that we need assistance." is closest in meaning to "_________".
A. help B. attention C. communication D. food
24. "All of the students but Peter went to the meeting." is closest in meaning to "________"
A. Peter went to the meeting, and so did all of the students.
B. Except for Peter, all of the students went to the meeting.
C. All of the students, especially Peter went to the meeting.
D. All of the students including Peter went to the meeting.
25. My phone is out of order, _________ is a real nuisance.
A. which B. that C. it D. x (nothing)
26. I can't get Tessa on the phone. _________ all afternoon.
A. I'm trying B. I try C. I've been trying D. I'd been trying
27. "I found it difficult to follow the instructions." is closest in meaning to "________"
A. It was difficult for me following the instructions.
B. I found it trouble to follow the instructions.
C. I had trouble to follow the instructions.
D. I had trouble following the instructions.
* Choose the one word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that would not be appropriate. Mark your choice on the answer sheet.
28. In spite of her successful, she feltdissatisfied.
A B C D
29. Nowadays many young people have a good knowledge of what they are expecteddoing
A B C D
in their new job.
30. The bikehe lent you was stolenfrom a shop where sells fast food.
A B C D
31. You foreign language before for a job.
32. college-age students today are finding universities in can pursue both academic athletic extra-curricular activities.
* Choose the sentence (A, B, C or D) that is best made from the words given.
33. She / going / car / repair / tomorrow
A. She is going to have her car repaired tomorrow.
B. She is going to have her car repair tomorrow.
C. She is going to have her car to repair tomorrow.
D. She is going to have her car repairing tomorrow.
34. I / study / a school / found / nineteenth century
A. I'm studying at a school which found in the nineteenth century.
B. I'm studying at a school founded in the nineteenth century.
C. I study at a school that founded in the nineteenth century.
D. I'm studying at a school was founded in the nineteenth century.
35. chair / you / sit / very uncomfortable
A. The chair where you are sitting on is very uncomfortable.
B. A chair you are sitting on is very uncomfortable.
C. The chair you are sitting on is very uncomfortable.
D. The chair you are sitting is very uncomfortable.
* Read the passage and then decide which word (A, B, C or D) best fits each space. Mark your choice on the answer sheet.
Interviews are an imperfect method of choosing the best people (36) _______ jobs, yet, human beings like to examine each other in this way. One of the many problems of (37) _______ as it is commonly practiced is that the forms filled in by (38) _______ often failed to show people what they really are. This means that you can (39) _______ all the best advice when completing your form and still find that you are (40) _______ at the next stage – the interview. Similarly, in the rare cases where interviews are automatic, a (41) _______ with an inadequate form may (42) _______ surprisingly well. Of course, your form needs to show that you have (43) _______ in your ability to do the job, but don't try to turn (44) _______ into someone else – a person you have to pretend to be at the interview. Realism and honesty are definitely (45) _______ approach.
36. A. for B. to C. at D. in
37. A. offer B. answer C. selection D. chance
38. A. senders B. writers C. applicants D. assistants
39. A. do B. follow C. fill D. complete
40. A. lost B. careless C. successful D. unsuccessful
41. A. human B. person C. man D. candidate
42. A. make B. do C. gain D. complete
43. A. interest B. importance C. attention D. confidence
44. A. yourself B. oneself C. itself D. themselves
45. A. the most B. the best C. the worst D. the one
* Read the passage and choose the best answer (A, B, C or D) to each question. Mark your choice on the answer sheet.
Many people now think that teachers give pupils too much homework. They say that it is unnecessary for children to work at home in their free time. Moreover, they argue that most teachers do not properly plan the homework tasks they give to pupils. The result is that pupils have to repeat tasks which they have already done at school. Recently in Greece many parents said that most of the homework was a waste of time, and they wanted to stop it. Spain and Turkey are two countries which stopped homework recently. In Denmark, Germany and several countries in Europe, teachers cannot set homework at weekends. In Holland, teachers allow pupils to stay at school to do their homework. The children are free to help one another. Similar arrangements also exist in some British schools.
46. What is the writer's main aim in the passage?
A. to complain about the difficult homework
B. to explain why the homework is difficult
C. to suggest that homework should be stopped
D. to avoid the problems of homework
47. By "most teachers do not properly plan the homework tasks they give to pupils", the writer means that ________.
A. most teachers do not prepare very well and carefully the homework tasks
B. most teachers do not give the homework tasks to individual pupils
C. most teachers do not choose the suitable time to give the homework tasks
D. most teachers do not give the proper plan to pupils at home
48. Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the passage?
A. In some countries, children are free to choose proper homework at weekends.
B. Homework may be done at school.
C. parents are free to help their children to do their homework at school.
D. Homework was a waste of time to parents, not to children.