14. We didn’t arrive at the lecture on time ___ the bus was late.
A. owing to B. as C. because of D. due to
15. I wonder who drank all the milk yesterday. It can’t have been Susan ___ she was out all day.
A. because of B. because C. due to D. owing to
16. Tommy and Mary were mischievous children. Tricks ___ on their teachers, which always got them into a
lot of trouble.
A. could play B. used to be played C. used to playing D. used to played
17. “Since we have to be there in a hurry, we ___ take a taxi.”
A. had better B. may C. have been used to D. are able to
18. 007 didn’t need ___ out of his room in Moscow.
A. go B. to going C. going D. to go
19. It couldn’t ___ even though I had wanted.
A. had bought B. buy C. buying D. have been bought
20. She ought not ___ him but she did.
A. to tell B. to telling C. tell D. to have told
21. I’d rather you ___ that.
A. do B. don’t do C. won’t do D. didn’t do
22. ___ you speak any foreign languages?
A. Could B. Must C. Can D. Might
23. We ___have gone away if we had enough money.
A. could B. must C. can D. might
24. “The bills ___ paid today.” “I know, I promise. I won’t forget.”
A. would B. shall be C. must be D. may
25. ___ you mind my staying here for some days?
A. Would B. Could C. Can D. Should
26. _______ some German and British management styles are similar, there are many differences between them.
a. In spite b. In spite of c. Despite the fact that d. Despite
27I could not eat _______ I was very hungry.
a. even though b. in spite c. despite d. in spite the fact that
28. In spite _______, the baseball game was not cancelled.
a. the rain b. of the rain c. it was raining d. there was a rain
29_______ he had enough money, he refused to buy a new car.
a. In spite b. In spite of c. Despite d. Although
30._______, he walked to the station.
a. Despite being tired b. Although to be tired c. In spite being tired d. Despite tired
31. The children slept well, despite _______.
a. it was noise b. the noise c. of the noise d. noisy
32. She left him _______ she still loved him.
a. even if b. even though c. in spite of d. despite
33._______ her lack of hard work, she was promoted.
a. In spite b. Even though c. In spite of d. Despite of
34._______ they are brothers, they do not look like.
a. Although b. Even c. Despite d. In spite of
35. We are concerned with the problem of energy resources _______ we must also think of our environment.
a. despite b. though c. as though d. but
I. Pronunciation A. verbal B. suppose C. even D. either
A. situation B. appropriate C. informality D. entertainment
A. obvious B. probably C. finally D. approaching
A. compulsory B. cinema C. computing D. September
A. separated B. educated C. certificate D. national
II. Grammar and vocabulary:
TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE VERBS
(Ngoại động từ và nội động từ)
1. Transitive verbs (ngoại động từ / tha động từ): là những động từ cần có túc từ để làm đầy đủ nghĩa , vd: buy, build, meet, take, have …..
The customerboughta lot of butter.
S V O
Một số ngoại động từ cần hai túc từ: túc từ trực tiếp (Od)và túc từ gián tiếp (Oi), vd: give, send, buy, lend, like…Hai túc từ có thể được viết bằng hai cách:
S + V + Oi + Od … I sent hera letter
S + V + Od + giới từ + Oi … I sent a letter to her.
Một số động từ luôn là ngoại động từ là:
allow (cho phép ); blame (trách cứ ,đổ lổi ); enjoy (thích thú ); have (có ); like (thích); need (cần); name (đặt tên ); prove (chứng tỏ ); remind (nhắc nhỡ ); rent (cho thuê ); select (lựa chọn ); wrap (bao bọc, gói); rob (cướp ); own (nợ ); greet (chào)......
Ex: I rent (sai)
I rent a car (đúng )
2. Intransitive verbs (nội động từ / tự động từ): là những động từ không cần túc từ, tự nó đủ nghĩa: sleep, cry, occur, rain, ….
The baby is crying.
3. Note: Một số động từ vừa là nội động từ vừa là ngoại động từ.
+ các động từ vừa là tha động từ vừa là tự động từ: answer (trả lời ); ask (hỏi ); help (giúp đỡ ); read (đọc ); touch (sờ ); wash (rửa ); write (viết ) ....
Ex: I read a book. (đúng ) I read. / I’m reading. (đúng)
1. We can’t go along here because the road........................
A. is repairing B. is repaired C. is being repaired D. repairs
2. The story I’ve just read...................Agatha Christie
A. was written B. was written by C. was written from D. wrote by
3. I’m going to go out and.................................................