A.The answer in the book should be wrong! B. The book needn't have a wrong answer.
C.There is a wrong answer in the book. D. The answer in the book must be wrong!
30. Can you tell me directions for the station near here?
A. Would you tell me where to get to the station near here?
B. Could you tell me how to get to the station near here?
C. Could you tell me what to get to the station near here?
D. Must you tell me the way to get to the station near here?
III. Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
31. He said that he _________ enter the examination room because he was late.
A. mustn’t B. couldn’t C. needn’t D. might not
32. “__________ taking me downtown on your way to work this morning?” – Not at all.
A. Can you B. Why don’t you C. Could you please D. Would you mind
33. You haven’t eaten anything since yesterday afternoon. You ______ be really hungry!
A. must B. might C. will D. can
34. “Why are you so late?” – I _________ take my aunt to the airport. The traffic was terrible!”
A. might B. could C. had to D. should
35. I wonder who drank all the milk yesterday. It _____ have been Mary because she was out all day.
A. can’t B. must C. could D. needn’t
36. Susan ___________ hear the speaker because the crowd was cheering so loudly.
A. might not B. couldn’t C. can’t D. mustn’t
37. Ted’s flight from Britain took more than 11 hours. He _____ be exhausted after such a long flight.
A. had better B. can C. must D. should
38. You ___________ do the job if you didn’t speak Japanese fluently.
A. couldn’t B. can’t C. won’t be able to D. needn’t
39. When I was young, I __________ go fishing with my father.
A. was used to B. would C. may D. used to
40. You ________ take along some cash. The restaurant may not accept credit cards.
A. has to B. had better C. can D. could
41. Your wedding ring is very precious. You ___________ lose it.
A. must B. could C. needn’t D. mustn’t
42. “How old do you think Peter is?” - “I just looked at his driver’s license. He ______ 33.”
A. might be B. may be C. must be D. should be
43. It ________ rain this evening. Why don’t you take an umbrella?
A. had better B. might C. must D. could
44. You ________ forget to pay the rent tomorrow. The landlord is very strict about paying on time.
A. don’t have to B. mustn’t C. couldn’t D. can’t
45. It’s a school rule. All the students _________ wear a uniform.
A. have to B. might C. must D. need
46. Passengers _______ smoke until the signs have been switched off.
A. mustn't B. can't C. needn't D. mightn't
47. We must obey the traffic laws. Otherwise, we __________ be punished.
A. will B. might C. should D. need
48. This is the key. You _________ forget to take it with you when going out.
A. should B. have to C. mustn’t D. needn’t
49. You _________ introduce me to Dr. Gray. We have already met.
A. shouldn’t B. needn’t C. mustn’t D. couldn’t
50. “I have got a headache.” – “You _________ go to see the doctor.”
A. may B. could C. should D. might
TEST YOURSELF D
I .Read the passage and choose the best answer
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is an international non governmental organization for the conservation, research, and restoration of the environment. The organization was formed as a charitable trust on September 11, 1961, in Morges, Switzerland, under the name World Wildlife Fund. It was an initiative of Julian Huxley and Max Nicholson.
It is the world's largest independent conservation organization with over 5 million supporters worldwide, working in more than 90 countries, supporting 100 conservation and environmental projects around the world. It is a charity, with approximately 9% of its funding coming from voluntary donations by private individuals and businesses.
The group says its mission is "to halt and reverse the destruction of our environment". Currently, much of its work focuses on the conservation of three biomes that contain most of the world's biodiversity: forests, freshwater, ecosystems, and oceans and coasts. Among other issues, it is also concerned with endangered species, pollution, and climate change. The organization runs more than 20 field projects worldwide. In the last few years, the organization set up offices and operations around the world.
The World Wild Fund for Nature (WWF) is concerned with__________________
A. industry B. humanity C. atmosphere D. environment
WWF is now working in about ________________
A. nineteen countries B. one hundred countries and territories
C. ninety countries D. sixty- nine countries and states
Nine percent of WWF funding comes from _________________
A. governments all over the world B. private individuals and businesses
C. the United States D. Canada
The word “ issues “ in passage is closest in meaning to _______________
A. problems B. ideas C. groups D. missions
Which of the following statements is NOT true ?
A. WWF is a non- governmental organization B. Its name in the United States and Canada is different
C. WWF focuses on conservation of forests D. WWF is also concerned with climate change
II . Mark the letter A,B,C or D to complete the following sentences
6 Many efforts have been …………..to protect rare animals.
A. done B. taken C. made D. given
7_______ is the protection of environment and natural resources.
A. Survival B. Commerce C. Conservation D. Extinction
8. We must try to protect _______animals, otherwise when a species disappears the whole ecosystem is affected.
A. ecological B. endangered C. extinct D. toxic
9. My mother permitted me to go out at night. She said ” You …….go out tonight.”
A. may B. have to C. must D. need
10. As an orphan, he ………..earn his living alone
A. may B. might C. had to D. have to
11“ Do you have to buy this hat?”. No , I …………. It isn’t necessary.”