2. If you don’t hurry up, you’ll be late.
3. If she weren’t very busy, she could help me now.
4. If he had known my phone number, he would have phoned me.
5. If you took (more) exercise, you would be fit/ wouldn’t be unfit.
6. If you are not careful, you’ll cut yourself with that knife.
If you are careful, you won’t cut yourself with that knife.
7. Unless I have time, I won’t help you.
8. If he had studied his lessons very carefully, he wouldn’t get bad marks now.
9. If Dick drove carefully, he wouldn’t cause accident (often)
10. If I knew English, I could apply for that job.
11. If Susan didn’t eat (too) much chocolate, she wouldn’t be overweight.
If Susan ate less chocolate, she wouldn’t be overweight
12. If he weren’t lazy, his father wouldn’t punish him (often).
If he were (more) hard-working, his father wouldn’t punish him (often).
13. Unless you study harder, you'll fail in the next exam.
14. If we had had time, we would have visited the museum.
15. If Jack hadn't helped, I wouldn't have been able to move the table.
4. more difficult 5. worse
4. worse and worse 5. more and more talkative
2. The nearer we sit to the stage, the more clearly we can see.
3. The hotter it is, the more miserable I feel.
4. The farther we live from our house, the more we miss it.
5. The more popular TV programs become, the worse they seem to get.
KEY TO ADVERBIAL CLAUSE OF MANNER
45. I feel as though I had been walking in the air.
46. He spent his money as if he were a prince.
47. You speak as though you were a prophet.
48. She looked as if she hadn’t known me.
49. It looks as if he is running away from your fierce dog.
50. He talks as though he knew how to use a computer.
KEY TO CONJUNCTIONS
41. In spite of being tired / his tiredness, he couldn’t sleep.
32. Despite the fact that he’s got a Vietnamese name, he’s in fact a Cambodian.
43. Although her feet were injured, she managed to get home before dark.
44. Even though he hadn’t eaten for three days, he didn’t feel hungry.
45. In spite of the low salary, he decided to get the job.
46. Despite the fact that they were a better team, they lost the match.
47. We didn’t go fishing because of the rough water.
48. She stayed at home because her mother was sick.
49. In spite of Mr. David’s richness, he couldn’t afford to buy such a villa.
36. John said he wanted to attend a famous university.
37. Mary told Peter she was looking for the book he had given her the week before.
38. Janet told John she hadn’t promised to send him a telegram.
39. She said she would get herself a drink.
40. He said he couldn’t drive them home.
41. She asked Peter if he preferred tea or coffee.
42. He said the film had begun at seven o’clock.
43. The father said he had been on a business trip the whole day the previous day.
44. James said her brother would get married the following month.
45. Henry told his brother to come and spend a week with them.
46. He told me to keep a seat for him in the lecture hall.
47. Mike told Henry to give him his book back.
48. She asked the boys not to play on the grass.
49. He asked me not to make so much noise.
50. Janet asked Mary if she would be free the following day.
1. So great was her grief that she almost fainted
2. No sooner had he returned from his walk than he got down to writing the letter
3. Hardly she begun to speak when people started interrupting her
4. Only when they told me about it later did I realize what I had missed
5. Nowhere will you find a more dedicated worker than Mrs. John.
6. At no time was the outcome of the election.
7. Not until he got home did he forget about the gun
8. Only by training hard everyday can you become a good athlete
9. Not until did John receive offer of promotion in writing that he celebrated.
10. Only when I left home did I realize how much my father meant to me.
11. Only when Alice and Charles (had) had their second children did they decide to move to a bigger house.
12. Scarcely had she put the phone down when it rang again
13. Not for a moment is it worth considering his suggestion
14. Such was his disgust at her behaviour that he severed all contact with her.
15. Had you given it on time, you would have got a high mark
16. No sooner had we stepped outside the front door, and it began to rain
17. Never before had the film laid on such a sumptuous celebration
18. Not only is he your friend, but he’s mine, too / but he’s also mine.
19. Hardly had they arrived on the beach when it started to rain
41. little 42.many 43. a few 44. a little 45. a few
46. the number of 47. a large number of
48. much 49. most 50. little
6. of 7. on 8. up 9. to 10. as