12. Recycling plastics reduce the amount of oil needed for making new plastics.
A B C D
Answers: 11. B 12. A
III. Read the following letter. Decide if the statements from 13 to 16 are True or False and choose the correct answer (A, B, C or D) for the questions 17 and 18.
Today almost everyone walking down the street has at least one mobile phone in their pocket. That is because many mobile phones are upgraded every year around the world, and most people are interested in changing their old mobile phone for a new one. There has been an estimated number of 90 million unwanted mobile phones in the UK alone! This mountain weighs around 12,000 tonnes, but only about 5% of it is recycled. What makes us worried most is that mobile phones contain harmful chemicals which are released into the environment when phones begin to degrade and, in addition, large amounts of carbon dioxide are also produced during the manufacture of phones. It seems that the more modern mobile phones become, the worse our environment gets.
13. Mobile phones are modernized every year around the world.
14. Most people are keen on having a newer mobile phone.
15. About half of unwanted mobile phones in the UK are recycled.
16. Old mobile phones do no harm to the environment.
17. What is the passage mainly about?
A. The moderization of mobile phones is necessary.
B. There are more and more mobile phones in the world.
C. The modernization of mobile phones make the environment worse.
D. The manufacture of phones produces carbon dioxide.
18. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
A. Modern mobile phones are worse for the environment than the older ones.
B. Mobile phones are getting cheaper and more modern.
C. People in the UK are very concerned to recycle old mobile phones.
D. Used mobile phones can pollute the environment.
13. True 14. True 15. False 16. False 17. C 18. D
IV.Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the following passage. (1,5pts)
In many Western countries, people (19)_______ Halloween on Octorber 31st. The word Halloween (20)________ from “All Hallows’ Eve”. It is the night before All Saints’ Day, a religious holiday in some parts of the world. On this night, children dress up in special costumes, put (21)________ masks, and go door to door saying “trick-or-treat” to get candy. Many people decorate their homes with paper ghosts, black cats or witches to give their houses a (22) _______ look. People also decorate their homes with jack-o-lanterns. They carve scary faces on pumpkins, and (23)_____ candles inside the pumpkins. In some places, both children and adults can make (24)______ of haunted houses. They all seem very excited about the festival.
19. A. celebrate B. reduce C. save D. exchange
20. A. gets B. goes C. comes D. reaches.
21. A. in B. off C. out D. on
22. A. bored B. relaxed C. careful D. scary
23. A. light B. to light C. lighting D. lighted
24. A. parts B. tours C. turns D. prizes
Chú ý: Thí sinh chỉ ghi mẫu tự A, B, C, hoặc D vào ô trả lời
19. A 20. C 21. D
22. D 23. A 24. B
VI. Use the correct tense or form of the verb given in each sentences. (1.0 pt)
25. My pen pal was really _______ by the beauty of Ha Long Bay. (impress)
26. Both competitors are ______ strong and fast. (surprise)
27. The company has made a new motorbike having very low fuel ____. (consume)
28. A large number of car accidents are caused by fast and _____driving. (care)
29. Could you send me details of courses for _______, who have never learnt English before. (begin)
30. Ba’s family and Liz had a very ________ day in the countryside last weekend. (enjoy)