The United State has many different types of families. While most American families are traditional,(46) ____ a father, mother and one or more children, 22 percent of all American families in 1980 were dead by one parent, usually a woman. In a few families in the United States, there are no children. These (47)____ couples may believe that they would not make good parents, they may want freedom the responsibilities of childrearing; or, perhaps they (48) _____ physically able to have children. Other families in the United States have one adult (49)____ a stepparent. A stepmother or step father is a person who joins a family by marrying a father or mother.
Americans tolerate and accept these different types of families. In the United States, people have the right to privacy and Americans do not believe in telling other Americans what types of family group they must belong to. They respect each other's choices regarding family groups. Families are very important (50) ____ Americans.
46. A. consisting of B. consisting C. consist of D. in concluding of
47. A. childlike B. childish C. childless D. childhood
48. A. weren't B. can't C. are not D. couldn't
49. A. who is B. is C. which has D. which is
50. A. to B. of C. for D. in
________The end _______
PRACTICE TEST 7
Chọn từ có phần gạch chân được phát âm khác với những từ còn lại.
1. A. works B. shops C. shifts D. plays
2. A. treated B. looked C. watched D. laughed
3. A. animal B. character C. imagine D. personality
Chọn từ có trọng âm chính khác với những từ còn lại.
4. A. economics B. engineering C. information D. geography
5. A. opponent B. vertical C. windsurfing D. penalty
B- TỪ VỰNG – NGỮ PHÁP
Chọn MỘT từ hoặc cụm từ thích hợp nhất để hoàn thành mỗi câu sau.
6. Three great ______ of sandy desert almost circle the centre of Australia.
A. series B. groups C. stretches D. lines
7. In developing countries, 90 percent of people use _____for cooking and heat.
A. wood B. eucalyptus C. cactus D. date palm.
8. Many plant and animal______ are now in danger of extinction.
A. pieces B. species C. amount D. numbers.
9. The disappearance of one or several species may result in the loss of ______.
A. university B. biology C. biodiversity D. diversity
10. If you want to learn how to knit or work with wood, you should buy a___ book.
A. novel B. comic C. science D. craft
11. Fish is easy to _____when you are ill.
A. digest B. direct C. cook D. fry
12. ______is considered one of the most complete form of exercise, it is the basic part of many other aquatic sports.
A. Snorkeling B. Water polo C. Scuba diving D. Swimming
13. The Asian Games is an occasion when friendship and ______are built and deepened.
A. solidarity B. determination C. admiration D. rival
14. The crash ______in the deaths of ten passengers.
A. resulted B. made C. created D. helped.
15. Women are usually more________ than men.
A. sympathize B. sympathetic C. sympathy D. sympathetically
17. You ______take anything out of the shop without paying for it.
A. need B. needn’t C. must D. mustn’t
18. My problems are getting _______.
A. more and more bad B. bader and bader
C. worse and worse D. the worse and worse
19. All the iron doors _________ by wooden doors.
A. must be replaced B. must replace C. must replaced D. must to be replaced
20. The bigger the supermarket is, __________.
A. the choice is wide B. the wider the choice is.
C. the most the choice is D. the wider the choice it is.
21. It would have been a much more serious accident if ____ fast at the time.
A. had she have driving B. was she driving
C. she had driven D. she drove
22. Broken glass often _________injuries.
A. is causing B. has caused C. causes D. is caused by
23. When he ______, he will tell us about the match.
A. arrives B. will arrive C. arrive D. is arrive.
24. The firemen have been examining the ground ________ yesterday.
A. since B. for C. ago D. by
25. The girls and flowers _____he painted were vivid.
A. who B. which C. whose D. that
26. We ________ open the lion’s cage. It is contrary to Zoo regulations.
A. must B. mustn't C. needn't D. should
27. Books that give fact about real events, things, or people are called ________ .
A. novel B. biography C. non-fiction D. romance
28. __________ is the natural environment in which plants or animals live.
A. Habitat B. Habitant C. Extinction D. Biodiversity
29. Be careful of that dog. It might _________ you.
A. bite B. slip C. wake D. break
30. I have been looking ______ this book for months, and at last, I have found it.
A. over B. up C. for D. at
C- ĐỌC HIỂU: Đọc kỹ đoạn văn sau và chọn phương án đúng nhất cho 5 câu sau.
JOB INTERVIEW - SELLING YOURSELF
When you apply for a job, one of the most important things is job interview. In order to make a good impression during a job interview, you need to prepare yourself for the interview carefully.
Punctuation is very necessary. You should arrive in plenty of time so that you have a little time to relax and keep calm before the interview.
You should be well dressed. Do not wear a skirt which is too short or jeans. You also need to plan what you are going to say. You have to answer a lot of questions about your education and experience. You may be asked many things about yourself and especially about the reason why you decide to apply for the job.
You can ask the interviewer about the salary you expect, the position you are applying and the duties you have to do in the job.
You also must try to find out as much as possible about the Company you want to work for.
31. When you apply for a job ______
A. job interview is not important. B. don't make any good impression.
C. preparation is not necessary. D. interview is important for you to prepare.
32. What about punctuation?
A. Being late is all right B. You should arrive early enough to relax
C. Punctuation is not important D. If you are late the interviewer will wait.
33. What about clothes?
A. You can wear whatever you like. B. You should be well dressed.
C. Jeans are suggested. D. A short skirt makes you more attractive.
D. the salary, the interviewer's family and his duties.
Đọc kỹ đoạn văn sau và chọn phương án đúng nhất cho 5 chỗ trống sau.
Forests are useful to Man in several ways. Wood is always necessary for building and for making all kinds of things and we usually need firewood in our homes. Forests provide timber, one of the most (36) ………… resources, but they must be used wisely and managed (37) ………… . Men should control the cutting of trees in such a way that the forest grows more trees (38) ….…… it would be cut, leaving the young ones to grow bigger. Trees and shrubs are also needed to preserve land (39) ..………… their roots bind the soil, preventing heavy rain (40) ………… washing the soil away.
36. A. valuable B. reasonable C. comfortable D. famous
37. A. good B. widely C. nicely D. carefully
38. A. as B. than C. then D. that
39. A. because B. because of C. but D. and
40. A. in B. with C. from D. at
Xác định từ hoặc cụm từ gạch dưới, cần phải sửa để câu trở thành chính xác:
41. In spite of my father is old, he still goes to work.
A B C D
42. The result of that test must beinformbefore August.
A B C D
43. She has disappearedthree days ago, and they are still looking for her now.
A B C D
44. My little daughter is going tobeingtaken to day care center.
A B C D
45.There aremany single mothers and single fathers which are raising childrenby themselves.
A B C D
Chọn câu tương ứng thích hợp (ứng với A hoặc B, C, D)
46. “They are playing soccer now.” The passive voice is:
A. Soccer is played now B. Soccer is being played now
C. Soccer are being played now D. Soccer is be played now
47. “No parking” It means that ______
A. There is no park here
B. You can’t go to the park here
C. You are not allowed to park your car here
D. There’s not enough space for parking here
48. It rains so we can’t go to school
A. If it rains, I could go to school B. If it didn’t rain, I could go to school
C. If it not rain, I could go to school D. If it rains, I can go to school
C. I told him opening his book D. I told him to open your book
50. He asked me how I earned my living
A. He wanted to know what my job was
B. He wanted to know how I lived
C. He wanted to know how I enjoyed my life
D. He wanted to know how much I got for a salary
PRACTICE TEST 8
I.Chọn phương án (A hoặc B, C, D) ứng với từ có phần gạch chân phát âm khác với những từ còn lại trong mỗi câu sau.
1. A. shirt B. fire C. first D. bird
2. A. cuts B. reads C. opens D. plays
3. A. those B. there C. think D. than
4. A. mounted B. needed C. interested D. relaxed
II.Chọn phương án (A hoặc B, C, D) ứng với từ có trọng âm chính nhấn vào âm tiết có vị trí khác với những từ còn lại trong mỗi câu sau.
5. A. cinema B. physical C. statistics D. politics
6. A. artificial B. professional C. individual D. possibility
7. A. polite B. pollen C. police D. pollute
8. A. satisfaction B. satisfy C. satisfying D. satisfied
III. Chọn phương án (A hoặc B, C, D) để hoàn thành mỗi câu sau.
9. She got up late and rushed to the bus stop.
A. came into B. went leisurely C. went quickly D. dropped by
10. Billy, come and give me a hand with cooking.
A. help B. prepare C. be busy D. attempt
11. School uniform is compulsory in most of Vietnamese schools.
A. depended B. required C. divided D. paid
12. The 1923 earthquake in Japan killed about 200,000 people and left countless wounded and homeless.
A. poor B. imprisoned C. suffered D. injured
13. ______ is a sport in which two or more people perform complicated and carefully planned movements in water in time to music.
A. Rowing B. Windsurfing C. Diving D. Synchronized swimming
14. Working as an astronaut requires high ______knowledge.
A. technique B. technical C. technically D. technician
15. ______ is the study or creation of theories about basic things such as the nature of existence, knowledge, and thought, or about how people should live.
A. Politics B. Physics C. Philosophy D. Business
16. ASEAN was founded on 8 August, 1967 with five ______ Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines.
A. members B. competitors C. leaders D. statesmen
17. ______you study for these exams, ______ you will do.
A. The harder / the better B. The more / the much
C. The hardest / the best D. The more hard / the more good
18. I would rather ______ a sleep than ______ out for a walk now.
A. to have / go B. have / going C. have / go D. to have / to go
19. He ______ in the same house since 1975.
A. has lived B. is living C. lived D. had lived
20. The women's movement has brought light to ______ areas in which women do not have equality with men.
A. a B. an C. the D. Ø
21. My husband and I take turns cleaning ______. the kitchen depending ______ who gets home from work earlier.
A. away / to B. from / in C. up / on D. with / for
22. If I ______ you, I would stay at home and have a rest.
A. am B. have been C. are D. were
23. The man ______ is drinking orange juice is my eldest brother.
A. who B. whom C. whose D. which
24. ______ did it take you to make this cake?
A. How far B. How long C. How often D. How many
IV. Đọc kỹ đoạn văn sau và chọn phương án (A hoặc B, C, D) cho mỗi câu sau.
One of the most important ways to help threatened plants and animals survive is to protect their habitats in national parks, nature reserves or wilderness areas. There they can live without too much interference from humans. It is also important to protect habitats outside reserves such as on farms or along roadsides. Some areas have groups which look after local lands and nature reserves. They do this by removing weeds and planting local lands species in their places. If you want to help threatened species, you can join one of these groups, or even start a new one with your parents and friends. Ask your local parks authority or council for information.
25. One of the most important ways to help threatened plants and animals survive is ………. .
B. to protect their feeding ground in national parks, nature reserves or wilderness
C. to keep their living environment from interference from humans
D. to destroy their habitats
26. Protecting habitats outside reserves is _______ .
A. a necessary thing B. an unnecessary thing
C. the most important thing D. more important than protecting the national parks
27. What do the groups do to look after local lands and nature reserves?
A. They protect habitats on farms and along roadsides.
B. They remove weeds and plant local lands species in their places.
C. They ask local authority or council for help.
D. They ask their parents and friends for help.
28. What does the word “one” on the 6th line mean?
A. national park B. habitat C. interference D. group
29. If you want to get more directions, you should ______ .
A. ask these groups B. ask your relatives and friends
C. ask police D. local parks authority or council
V. Đọc kỹ đoạn văn sau và chọn phương án (A hoặc B, C, D) cho mỗi câu sau.
The interview is one of the most important parts in the job search process. When an (30) ..... invites you to an interview, he / she is indicating an (31)..... in yourself. The interview gives both of you the opportunity to (32)..... enough information to determine if you are good “fit” for each other. Think (33)..... an interview as a highly focused (34)….. conversation. You should (35)..... the limited amount of time you have learning about the employer’s needs and discuss the ways you can meet these (36)..... .In many cases, you will interview at lease twice before being employed (37)..... a position. Once in a brief screening interview and at least once again in a (38)..... serious meeting when you may also talk to many of your (39)….. coworkers.
30. A. employee B. employer C. employment D. employ
31. A. interest B. interesting C. interested D. interestingly
32. A. fill B. change C. exchange D. translate
33. A. in B. of C. with D. on
34. A. profession B. professor C. professionally D. professional
35. A. apply B. make C. spend D. post
36. A. needs B. convenience C. comfort D. problems
37. A. in B. for C. from D. at
38. A. most B. mostly C. more than D. more
39.A. bored B. boring C. potential D. potentially
VI. Chọn phương án (A hoặc B, C, D) cùng nghĩa với câu cho sẵn.
40. Although he got more votes, he didn’t become president.
A. Despite he got more votes, he didn’t become president.
B. Despite getting more votes, he didn’t become president.
C. If he got more votes, he would become president.
D. He needed more votes to become president.
41. They will fill the area with coconut trees.
A. Coconut trees will be filled with the area. B. The area with coconut trees will be filled.
C. The area will fill with coconut trees. D. The area will be filled with coconut trees.