A. “awful” B. “extremely fast” C. “powerful” D. “wonderful”
25. According to the passage, which of the following is the most important Because of desertification?
A. The change of climate B. The spread of deserts
C. Human activities D. Cattle destroying trees
26. Why did some countries plant a green wall of trees across the edge of the Sahara?
A. to prevent the growth of the desert B. to stop the desert from being destroyed
C. to encourage the growth of the desert D. to keep the sheep and goats away
V. Read the following passage and choose the best answer
Years ago, in their private family role, women quite often dominate the male members of the household. Women were quite (27) _____ to their families. However, the public role of women has changed (28) _____ since the beginning of World War II. During the war, men were away from home to the battle. As a (29) ____, women were in complete control of the home. They found themselves doing double and sometimes triple (30) _____. They began to take over the work of their absent husbands and to work outside. They accounted for 73% of the industrial labor force. Women were forced by economic realities to work in the factories. The women who worked there were (31) _____ low wages, lived in crowded and small dormitories. (32) _____, they found themselves a place as active members of society. Women, although they were ruthlessly exploited, became the key to the country's success.The feminist movement seems to have been (33) _____ important part in the demands (34) _____ women Equal Rights. The movement tends to have a way of changing men and women and their roles in society. It often redefines the role of women in society. Inventions, too, bring progress in society as (35) _____ as to the individual's life. In the late nineteenth century the invention of the typewriter gave women a new skill and a job outside the home. The Suffragettes in the turn of the century has become a (36) _____ for most women to be engaged in equality.
27.A. fascinated B. worried C. dedicated D. interested
28. A. unfortunately B. approximately C. nearly D. dramatically
IV. GRAMMAR: Choose a, b, c or d that best completes each of the following sentences
17. I hear that you ______the position, congratulations!
A. offer B. are offered C. have offered D. have been offered
18. I’m sorry. The book ______by Barrack Obama is out of stock.
A. written B. which written C. writing D. was written
19. His parents ______so disappointed if he ______the exam to university. But unfortunately, he failed the exam.
A. would be / passed B. would have been / had passed
C. wouldn’t be / passed D. wouldn’t have been / had passed
20. This machine ______without my permission.
A. mustn’t use B. mustn’t be used C. must use D. must be used
21. ______the rise in unemployment, people still seem to be spending more.
A. While B. Despite C. Although D. Because of
22. The earlier she leaves, ______ .
A. the sooner she will arrive C. she will soon arrive
B. the soonest she will arrive D. she will arrive sooner
23. It took me a long time to ______the shock of her death.
A. go off B. look up C. get over D. turn on
24. By the time I ______this report, I will give you a ring.
A. type B. will type C. have typed D. will have typed
V. READING- COMPREHENSION: Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer for each question
THE PEARL by John Steinbeck is the retelling of a story about a fisherman who finds a huge pearl, realizes that the discovery is destroying his life and returns the pearl to the seA. It is told in a style so authentic that readers feel they are hearing the story from one of the villagers who know all the characters. In spite of its simplicity; however, there are several levels to enjoy in THE PEARL.
Some critics have pointed out that the author showed his great respect for the natural environment, and that this book was really his statement about the dangers of creating serious damage to it. When the fisherman throws the pearl back into the sea, he is doing something useful in his effort to prevent the habitat destruction. In fact, Steinbeck was a member of an expedition to explore marine life along the coast of California when he heard the story of the “pearl of the world”. Other critics have suggested that this work is the struggle between the good and the baD. Although the fisherman has dreamed of buying peace and happiness with the pearl, he realizes that these spiritual gifts are beyond price. They can not be bought.
It is true that Steinbeck’s work has won popularity among the readers. Perhaps everyone takes his own meaning from this story and reads his own life into it.
25. THE PEARL is written by ______
A. a fisherman B. a villager
C. John Steinbeck D. a member of an expedition
26. The word “It” in line 2 refers to ______
A. the huge pearl B. the discovery C. one of the characters D. the story
27. Which of the followings is not correct about the book THE PEARL?
A. It is too simple to be read.
B. It sets an example of protecting the natural habitat.
C. It states that happiness and peace can not be bought with money.
D. It has remained so popular.
28. The writer of this passage ______.
A. disagrees with the critics.
B. does not enjoy Steinbeck’s work.
C. feels that reading THE PEARL is a personal experience.
D. was a member of an expedition to explore marine life along the coast of CaliforniA.
29. The word “authentic” in line 3 could best be replaced by ______.
A. romantic B. vulnerable C. incredible D. realistic
VI. CLOZE TEST: Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer for each numbered blank.
Who we are:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural (30)....... is a specialised international agency that (31) ............ in 1945. Through its activities within the fields of education, social and (32)...........science, culture and communication, UNESCO is (33)........contributing to the achievement of the Development Goals of the United Nations Millennium Declaration, especially those (34) ......... aim to reduce the proportion of people living in extreme (35).........., to achieve universal primary education, and to ensure environmental sustainability.
What we do:
UNESCO has been active in Viet Nam (36)........1976. The agency’s goal is to contribute to empowering the people of Viet Nam, especially the (37)........ population groups, to fully participate in and benefit from development. Within the fields of culture and science, UNESCO in Viet Nam (38)......... international efforts to protect world heritage and preserve cultural and natural (39)............
30. A. Fund B. Association C. Organization D. Organizer
31. A. was found B. was founded C. found D. founded
32. A. natural B. naturally C. nature D. naturalness
33. A. active B. action C. actively D. act
34. A. who B. whom C. whose D. which
35. A. poor B. poorly C. the poor D. poverty
36. A. from B. since C. in D. for
37. A. advantage B. disadvantage C. advantaged D. disadvantaged
38. A. participate B. take place C. support D. compete
39. A. diversity B. situation C. integration D. development
VII. WRITING: Choose the best sentence that can be made from the words given
40. The Arabian Desert / third largest in the world / cover / nearly 1 million square miles of the Arabian Peninsula
A. The Arabian Desert is third largest in the world covers nearly 1 million square miles of the Arabian PeninsulA.
B. The Arabian Desert, third largest in the world, cover nearly 1 million square miles of the Arabian PeninsulA.
C. The Arabian Desert, third largest in the world, so covers nearly 1 million square miles of the Arabian PeninsulA.
D. The Arabian Desert, the third largest in the world, covers nearly 1 million square miles of the Arabian PeninsulA.
41. There / a number of measures / should / take / protect / endanger species
A. There are a number of measures that should take to protect endanger species.
B. There are a number of measures should take to protect endangered species.
C. There are a number of measures that should be take to protect endangered species.
D. There are a number of measures that should be taken to protect endangered species.
42. Books / the home / a wonderful source / knowledge / pleasure
A. Books in the home are a wonderful source of knowledge and pleasure.
B. Books in the home are a wonderful source of knowledge about pleasure.
C. Books around the home is a wonderful source of knowledge for pleasure.
D. Books in the home keep a wonderful source with knowledge and pleasure.
Choose the sentence which has the closest meaning to the original one
43. You are not allowed to use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
A. You can not use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
B. You needn’t use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
C. You may not use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
D. You mustn’t use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
44. I haven’t finished the report yet though I worked overtime last night.
A. I worked overtime last night, but I haven’t finished the report yet.
B. Because I haven’t finished the report yet, I worked overtime last night.
C. Although I worked overtime last night, but I haven’t finished the report yet.
D. I haven’t finished the report yet, therefore I worked overtime last night.
45. He didn’t try hard and therefore failed the entrance exam to university.
A. If he had tried hard, he would not fail the entrance exam to university.
B. If he tried hard, he would pass the entrance exam to university.
C. If he had tried hard, he would have passed the entrance exam to university.
D. If he hadn’t failed the entrance exam to university, he would have tried harD.
VIII/ IDENTIFICATION: Identify the one underlined word or phrase
46. The pool (A) where we (B) play water polo (C) is (D) long 1.8 meters.
47. (A) Thousands of people (B) was died in (c ) the tsunami (D) hitting Asia in 2004.
48. (A) The injured of (B) natural disasters (c ) is always (D) helped by the International Red Cross.
49. The bomb (A) went out in the field (B) but (c ) fortunately nobody (D) was hurt.
50. Different (A) efforts have been made (B) so that to save many species (C) which are in (D) danger of extinction.
________The end _______
PRACTICE TEST 6
I. Chọn từ (ứng với A hoặc B, C, D) mà phần gạch chân có cách phát âm khác với những từ còn lại trong mỗi câu sau :
1. A. attracts B. photographs C. cooks D. speeds
2. A. phoned B. jumped C. lived D. loved
3. A. digest B. biologist C. curriculum D. certificate
II. Chọn từ có trọng âm chính nhấn vào âm tiết có vị trí khác với các từ còn lại:
4. A. supportive B. different C. confide D. contractual
5. A. optimistic B. enthusiast C. education D. personality
III. Chọn từ / cụm từ thích hợp (ứng với A hoặc B,C,D.) để hoàn thành mỗi câu sau:
6. Strong actions that can easily be seen are considered to be big, obvious _______ signals.
A. verbal B. non- verbal C. tongue D. oral
7. Professor Berg was very interested in the _______ of cultures all over the world.
A. variety B. changes C. conservation D. number.
8. I am really _______ in the way he talks, but the way he behaves.
A. interest B. interested C. interesting D. interestingly
9. He was the only _______ that was offered the job.
A. apply B. application C. applicant D. applying
10. _______is the activity of doing special exercises regularly in order to make your muscles grow bigger.
A. Wrestling B. Bodybuilding C. Weightlifting D. Badminton
11. After my sister _______ her clothes, she began watching T.V
A. had washed B. has washed C. was washing D. washes
12. Water _______ of hydrogen and oxygen .
A. consist B. consists C. consisted D. have consisted
13. Please don’t make so much noise! I_______
A. have studied B. study C. studied D. am studying
14. Many people still refused to believe that smoking _______ dangerous.
A. be B. is C . are D. been
15. Living in the city is getting _______
A. more expensive and expensive B. more expensive and more expensive
C. expensive and expensive D. more and more expensive
16. He spends _______ time on his work.
A. much and much B. more and more C. more and much D. many and many.
17. Somebody accused him of stealing money.
A. He was accused of stealing money. B. He was accused by someone of stealing money.
C. He is accused of stealing money by someone . D. He was accused stealing money.
18. She _______ to me since last year.
A. has not written B. wrote C. writes D. had not written
19. People should send their complaints to the head office.
A. Complaints should be sent to the head office.
B. Complaints should be sent the head office by people .
C. Their complaints should send to the head office by people
D. Their complaints to the head office should be sent.
20. We avoid _______ our environment.
A. polluted B. polluting C. pollute D. to pollute
21.If you hate cleaning this fish, why don’t you _______ it cleaned at the fishmonger’s.
A. make B. ask C. order D. have
22. The larger the apartment is , the _______the rent is .
A. expensive B. expensively C. more expensive D. most expensive
23. I have lost my umbrella . I _______ it on the bus.
A. should have leftB. can leave C. could leave D. must have left
24. They _______ me if they knew my address.
A. will visit B. would visit C. would have visited D. visit
25. “ Don’t forget to give book to Tom” she said
A. She reminded me to forget to give book back to Tom.
B. She reminded me not to remember to give book back to Tom.
C. She reminded me remember to give book back to Tom.
D. She reminded me to give book back to Tom.
26. “ If I were you, I would go by taxi, Richard.” She said.
A. She advised me to go by taxi. B. She advised Richard to go by taxi.
C. She advised Richard to going by taxi. D. She advised Richard going by taxi.
27. Tom said that____
A. Lan has bought a new car B. Lan had bought a new car
C. whose designs buildings D. which designs buildings
29. If we arrived at the station a few minutes earlier,____
A. we would catch the train B. we will catch the train
C. we might have caught the train D. we would have missed the train
30. Charlie said that____.
A. he is thinking of going to live in Canada.
B. he was thinking of going to live in Canada.
C. he has thought of going to live in Canada.
D. he would be thinking of going to live in Canada.
31. The girl ____ is now in hospital.
A. who injured in the accident B. was injured in the accident
C. who was injured in the accident D. whom he injured
32. My parents are the first people____ advice I usually ask for.
A. what B. which C. who D. whose
33. _____ was Doimoi officially initiated?- In 1986.
A. Where B. How C. When D. Why
34. Many things will ____ by computerized control.
A. doing B. do C. be done D. did
35. How has Vietnam ____ since Doimoi?
A. change B. changed C. changes D. changing
IV. Xác định từ hoặc cụm từ có gạch dưới, cần phải sửa, để câu trở thành chính xác:
36. Susan stopped to write her letter because she had to leave for the hospital
A B C D
37. We didn’t have many knowledgeabout physics.
A B C D
38.We were advised not drinking the water in the bottle.
A. B C D
39. The storm prevented us to go out
A B C D
40. They can’t paythe rent unless their parents don’t send them some money.
A B C D
IV. Đọc đoạn văn sau và chọn câu trả lời đúng nhất.
Education is another area of social life in which information technology is changing the way we communicate. Today's college students may not simple sit in a lecture or a library to learn about their field. Through their computers and the wonders of virtual reality they can participate in lifelike simulated experiences. Consider the following scenario of the future of education made possible through developments in information technology.
For children over the age of 10, daily attendance at schools is not compulsory. Some of the older children attend school only once or twice a weekly to get tutorial support or instruction from a teacher. For the most part, pupils are encouraged to work online from home. Students should complete a minimum number of study hour per year; however, they may make up these hours by studying at home at times that suit their family schedule. They can log on early or late in the day and even join live classes in other countries. In order to ensure that each student is learning adequately, computer software will automatically monitor the number hours a week each student studies on line as well as that student's learning materials and assessment activities. Reports will be available for parents and teachers. The software can then identify the best learning activities and conditions for each individual student and generate similar activities. It can be also identify areas of week achievement and produce special programs adjusted to the students' needs.