Preface This learning material is intended to provide students with guidelines to the learning of vocabulary and grammar in order to best use the core book “Beginning TOEIC Test-taking Skills VERY EASY TOEIC”, one of the most renowned books by First News.
The material contains 3 sessions. Session 1 deals with the basic knowledge of vocabulary and grammar in 12 units as well as the contextual examples of authentic language given to illustrate. Session 2 consists of the important grammar practice tests related to the key grammar points so that students can actively practise and effectively improve their skills. Session 3 is the answer key.
As mentioned, the material is beneficial to students.
Constructive suggestions and corrections are, therefore, highly appreciated.
English lecturers, HIAST
This handout is first published in Ho Chi Minh City in 2014 and compiled by lecturers of English Department, HIAST.
We, the English lecturers, would like to express our many thanks to the Directing Board of HIAST for their assistance, strong support and encouragement during the preparation and production of this material.
We warmly express our sincere thanks to our supportive colleagues at the English Department at HIAST for their initiation, for their long and kind co-operation as well as for their careful proof-reading and corrections in the making of this material.
Ho Chi Minh City, 2014
English Department, HIAST
SESSION 1 – VOCABULARY 4
UNIT 1: PRESENT TENSE 4
UNIT 2: PAST TENSE 14
UNIT 3: GERUNDS/INFINITIVES 19
UNIT 4: SUBJECT – VERB AGREEMENT 24
UNIT 5: AUXILIARIES 30
UNIT 6: RELATIVE PRONOUNS 34
UNIT 7: NOUNS/PRONOUNS 37
UNIT 8: ADJECTIVES/ADVERBS 59
UNIT 9: COMPARISONS 63
UNIT 10: CONJUNCTIONS 67
UNIT 11: MODIFIERS 72
UNIT 12: NEGATION 79
PRACTICE TEST 89
SESSION 2 – GRAMMAR PRACTICE TESTS 95
SESSION 3 – ANSWER KEY 119
SESSION 1 – VOCABULARY UNIT 1: PRESENT TENSE
-Frown [fraʊn] (v.) : to bring your eyebrows together so that there are lines on your face above your eyes to show that you are annoyed or worried = cau mày
- Yawn [jɔ:n] (v.) : to open the mouth wide and take a lot of air into the lungs and slowly send it out, usually when tired or bored = ngáp
- Nod [nɒd] (v.) : to move your head down and then up again quickly to show agreement = gật đầu
- Act [ækt] (v.) : perform a part in a play or film = diễn(kịch, phim)
- Stage [steɪdʒ] (n.) : the area in a theatre which is often raised above ground level and on which actors or entertainers perform = sân khấu
- Cry [kraɪ] (v.) : to produce tears from your eyes because you are unhappy or hurt = khóc
-Laugh [lɑ:f] (v.) : to make the noise with your voice that shows you think something is funny = cười
- Clap [klæp] (v.) : to make a short loud noise by hitting your hands together = applaud = vỗ tay
B. READING - Confused [kən'fju:zd] (adj.) : unable to think clearly =
-Though [ðəʊ] (conj.) : although, despite the fact that = mặc dù, dẫu cho, dù cho
e.g.: Though it was late, we decided to go.
- Through [θru:] (prep.) : from one side to the other, throughout = suốt, xuyên qua
e.g.: We walked through a wood.
I look through the window.
-Mud [mᴧd] (n.) : soft wet earth = bùn
e.g.: Your boots are covered in mud.
- Sometime ['sʌmtaim] (adv.) : unknown time, not now = 1 lúc nào đó
e.g: The album is expected to be releasedsometimenext year.
- Sometimes ['sʌmtaimz] (adv.) : occasionally / at times / once in a while / from time to time / now and then = thỉnh thoảng, đôi khi
e.g.: Sometimes I go by car.
- Paint [peint] (v.) : to cover a surface or object with paint = sơn
e.g.: He painted a door green.
- Fence [fens] (n.) : a flat upright structure made of wood or wire that surrounds an area of land = hàng rào
e.g.: A green/ wire fence : hàng rào cây xanh/ dây thép.
- Routine [ru:'ti:n] (n.) : fixed and regular way of doing something = lề thói hằng ngày
- Certain ['sɜ:tn] (adj.) : sure = chắc chắn
- Take place [teik 'pleis] (v.) : to happen, to occur = xảy ra
- Currently ['kʌrəntli] (adv.) : at the present time = hiện thời, hiện nay
- In progress [ɪn 'prəʊɡres](idm.): happening at this time = đang diễn ra
e.g.: Please be quiet - examination is in progress.
- Greenhouse ['ɡri:nhaʊs] (n.) : a building with glass sides and a glassroof for growing plants in = nhà kính (trồng cây)
- Boat [bəʊt] (n.) : a vehicle (smaller than a ship) that travels on water, moved by oars, sails or a motor = tàu thuyền
- Museum [mju'zi:əm] (n.) : a building in which objects of artistic, cultural, historical or scientific interest are kept and shown to the public = viện bảo tang
- Scarf [skɑ:f] (n.) : a piece of cloth that is worn around the neck = khăn choàng cổ
- Phew! [fju:] (exclamation) : used for showing that you feel hot, tired, or no longer worriedabout = Phù! Úi chà!
e.g.: Phew! We finally did it. : Phù! Cuối cùng thì chúng ta cũng làm được điều đó.
- Fan [fæn] (n.) : a machine with blades that turn and move the air in a room to make it feel less hot = cái quạt
- Heat [hi:t] (n.) : heating = lò sưởi
e.g.: The heat wasn't on and the house was freezing.
- Light [laɪt] (n.) : a thing that produces light, especially an electric light = đèn điện
- Mention ['menʃn] (v.) : to write or speak about sth/sb = đề cập, nói đến
Don’t mention it (idm.) : You're welcome!
e.g.: ‘Thanks for all your help.’ ‘Don't mention it.’
- High [haɪ] (adj.) : measuring a long distance from the bottom to the top = cao
Height [haɪt] (n.) : the measurement of how tall a person or thing is = chiều cao
- Face [feɪs] (n.) : the front part of your head, where your eyes, nose, and mouth are = mặt
- Fix [fɪks] (v.) : to repair or correct sth = sửa chữa
- Photocopier ['fəʊtəʊkɒpiə(r)] (n.): a machine that makes copies of documents = máy photocopy
- Employee [ɪm'plɔɪi:] (n.) : a person who is paid to work for sb = người làmcông
- Headache ['hedeɪk] (n.) : a continuous pain in the head = chứngnhức đầu
To have a headache
To suffer from headache
- Dark [dɑ:k] (adj.) : black = tối
#Light [laɪt] (adj.) : full of light = sáng
- Warning ['wɔ:nɪŋ] (n.) : an action or statement telling someone of a possible problem or danger = lời cảnh báo
- Electricity [ɪ:,lek'trɪsəti] (n.) : power ; energy = điện
- Similar ['sɪmələ(r)] (adj.) : alike, the same = giống nhau, tương tự
To be similar to sth
e.g.: My teaching style is similar to that of most other teachers.
- Sister – in – law (n.) : chị, em vợ / chị, em dâu
- Brother – in – law (n.) : anh, em chồng / anh, em rễ
- Mother – in – law (n.) : mẹ chồng, mẹ vợ
- Father – in – law (n.) : bố vợ; bố chồng
- Wow [waʊ] (exclamation) : used to express great surprise or admiration = ôi chao, chà