Arrival in New York Sam was feeling  _____ nervous as he left the airport. This was  _____ because the flight had not been good, but also because he had never been to New York before. He took a taxi into the city. It was  _____ a hot day and he looked in  _____ amazement at all the traffic. It was  _____ different from the small town he came from-there was  _____ more noise and  _____ more people and all the building were  _____ bigger.
He checked into his hotel and went to his room. It was  _____ small but it was  _____ comfortable. Before unpacking, he lay on the bed and after a while he started to feel  _____ better. Suddenly, there was an  _____ loud knock at the door. Sam was  _____ frightened and did not want to answer the door. ‘Who’s there?’ he called out, nervously. ‘My name’s Robertson,’ said a male voice. He sounded  _____ embarrassed ‘I sat next to you on the plane today. I’m afraid I accidentally took one of your bags with me. It’s  _____ my fault.’ Still feeling nervous Sam made his way towards the door.
11. A. partly B. rather C. considerably D. far
12. A. rather B. quite C. partly D. a bit
13. A. quite B. fairly C. complete D. slightly
14. A. far B. rather C. quite D. absolute
15. A. rather B. total C. utter D. lot
16. A. far B. absolutely C. totally D. quite
17. A. absolutely B. a lot C. quite D. utterly
18. A. considerably B. terribly C. utterly D. absolutely
19. A. a bit B. fairly C. partly D. considerably
20. A. slightly B. reasonably C. utterly D. partly
21. A. fairly B. slightly C. partly D. reasonably
22. A. utterly B. extremely C. absolutely D. a lot
23. A. much B. considerably C. a lot D. terribly
24. A. partly B. bit C. slightly D. reasonably
25. A. extremely B. quite C. far D. completely
UNIT 7: AGREEMENT
Choose one word or phrase that best completes the sentences
1. Many people _____ this city every year.
A. visits B. visit C. is visiting D. was visiting
2. This program is _____ harder to get accustomed to than the old one
A. such B. so many C. very D. much
3. Learning foreign language _____ important.
A. is B. are C. have D. are having
4. The music that they listen to _____ them to relax.
A. help B. are helping C. helps D. helping
5. The articles that John has written _____ difficult to understand.
A. has been B. was C. are D. is
6. Taking a trip to the mountains _____ more fun than going to the beach.
A. are B. were C. is D. have been
7. The water in this swimming pool _____ too cold.
A. are feeling B. feel C. feels D. was feeling
8. This math problem _____ solved in ten minutes.
A. will able to be B. be able to is C. is ably D. can be
9. Exercising every day _____ good for your health.
A. are B. be C. were D. is
10. He _____ that smoking indoors not be allowed under any circumstances.
A. refuses B. insists C. conditions D. regulates
11. Going to the movies last night _____ a lot of fun.
A. were B. was C. are D. being
12. The clothes in those boxes _____ to my sister.
A. belong B. was belonging C. is belonging D. belongs
13. The Joneses must have left at least one week _____ .
A. since B. ago C. advanced D. during
14. Some children _____ too many toys.
A. has B. has had C. have D. is having
15. Can you finish your homework _____ next Thursday?
A. then B. by C. until D. till
16. Nowadays, most _____ have four wheels.
A. cars B. of the cars C. the cars D. among the cars
17. There are _____ more books that are benificial to you.
A. so B. many C. such D. much
18. When he got home, his wife _____ dinner.
A. fix B. fixes C. fixing D. was fixing
19. There was _____ left in the safe.
A. two-hundred dollar bills B. two-hundreds dollar bills
C. two-hundred dollars D. two-hundreds dollars
20. _____ at a distance, it looks like a miniature city.
A. Seen B. Seeing C. Having seen D. Having been seen