IV. Choose the correct option A, B, C, or D to complete the sentences. 1. Many children in our village are still _____ . They can’t read or write.
2. We usually _____ ourselves by playing hike and seek or flying kites.
3. Laura is in the____of writing in her dairy every day.
4. The children started to_______ each part of the story.
A. Go out
B. Act out
C. Play out
D. Cry out
5. “How cool!” is used to express ____.
A. A wish
B. A surprise
C. An agreement
D. An appreciation
6. – “He had to work 12 hours every day.”
B. I wish I could go back to that time.
C. How cool!
D. I can’t imagine that.
7. We all____ it were the weekend tomorrow.
8.I _____ a teddy bear, but I don’t have one now.
A. Used to having
B.Used to have
C. Was use to having
D. Was used to have
9. Minh wishes he _____ English perfectly well.
D. has spoken
10. They_____ go on holiday when they lived in the countryside.
A. not use to
B. weren’t use to
C. didn’t use to
D. hadn’t used to
V. Read the following passage and choose the best option for each blank to complete the passage. Over the last century, there have been many significant changes in the way we live. Obviously, it is difficult to (1) _____ the life of ancient people and the life of the people living in the twenty-first century because so many changes have occurred. Even the changes that have (2) ______ over the last ten years are amazing.
People in the past were not (3)_______ to travel such long distances within such a short period of time. Nowadays, we have become very mobile. We have fast and (4) _________ cars. In addition, more and more people travel by plane.
Moreover, in the past people had to work harder as they did not have (5) ________ and machines to make their work easier. Today, most of the difficult and dangerous work is (6) _____ by computers and other powerful machines. In the past (7) ________ of living were not as comfortable as they are now. Besides many people could not afford (8) ______appliances like a fridge or a vacuum cleaner because those used to be luxurious goods. Another difference (9) ______ living now and in the past is the fact that nowadays education is accessible to everyone. In the past men were mainly the only ones educated and women were not (10) into public or private schools.
1. A. Predict B. Discuss C. Compare D. Suppose
2. A. Occurred B. Considered C. Expressed D. Arranged
3. A. Used B. Able C. Might D. Capable
4. A. Skillful B. Difficult C. Historical D. Comfortable
5. A. Rules B. Tools C. Teams D. Ideas
6. A. Thought B. Played C. Done D. Seen
7. A. Conditions B. Performances C. Stories D. Conflicts
8. A. Mobile B. Physical C. Bare-footed D. Household
9. A. Within B. Among C. Between D. Behind
10. A. Allowed B. Attended C. Agreed D. Appeared