Visit Visa / Entry Permit Requirements for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
This chapter sets out the visa or entry permit requirements of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China. It cannot be taken as a full statement of the law governing immigration.
Even where all immigration requirements set out in this chapter are met, travellers should not assume that they can gain automatic entry. The HKSAR immigration authorities have the right to refuse any person permission to land except those in Part I of this chapter.
If you need advice on individual cases, please address your enquiries to :
any Chinese diplomatic and consular mission; or
the Immigration Department.
1. If you have a close connection with the HKSAR by birth or long period of residence in the Region, you may not require a visa or entry permit. Please read Part I of this chapter.
2. If Part I does not apply to you, you will need a visa or entry permit to work, study, establish or join in any business or to take up residence in the HKSAR. However, you may not need a visa or entry permit for visit, depending on your nationality / type of travel document you hold. Please read Part II of this chapter.
3. No visa or entry permit is required for any purpose if you hold any of the following travel documents:
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport,
British National (Overseas) Passport,
Hong Kong Certificate of Identity,
Hong Kong Re-entry permit (for entry from the Mainland of China and the region of Macau only),
Hong Kong Seaman's Identity Book,
Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes provided that the document is valid or the holder's limit of stay in Hong Kong has not expired.
Travel documents bearing one of the following endorsements: "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kong permanent identity card verified." "The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong. (Section 2AAA, Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115, Laws of Hong Kong)"
Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.
4. Unless Part I applies to you, you require a visa or entry permit to work, study, establish or join in any business or to take up residence in the HKSAR. Otherwise, you are taking the risk of being refused admission on arrival.
5. Visitors are required to have adequate funds to cover the duration of their stay without working and, unless in transit to the Mainland of China or the region of Macau, to hold onward or return tickets. If you want to stay longer than the visa free period allowed, you must apply for a visa or entry permit before travelling to the HKSAR.
6. Visitors are not allowed by law to take up employment (paid or unpaid), to establish or join in any business, or to enter school as a student, nor, except in the most unusual circumstances, are visitors allowed to change their immigration status after arrival.
7. You may apply for the appropriate visa or entry permit from the nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular mission. Click here for more information.
8. As an alternative, you may also submit your visa or entry permit application to the HKSAR Immigration Department either directly by post or through a local sponsor. To shorten processing time, application forms and supporting documents can be sent by fax to (852) 2824 1133 in the first instance. However, the original copy of the duly completed application form and the photographs required should be sent immediately to the HKSAR Immigration Department by air mail. A visa/entry permit will be issued only on receipt of an original, properly completed visa/entry permit application form. Click here for more inforrmation.
9. If you are a Chinese resident in the region of Taiwan, you should submit your application for an entry permit through one of the authorised airlines. Click here for more information.
10. There are separate information leaflets regarding the arrangements for entry in respect of residents of the Mainland of China (ID894A) and for overseas Chinese and Chinese residents in Taiwan (ID895A). You can also obtain information for entry to Hong Kong from Mainland China here. Information of arrangements for entry to Hong Kong SAR for overseas Chinese and Chinese residents of Taiwan can be obtained here.
11. Persons who need a visa or entry permit for visit (or purposes other than a visit) should obtain the appropriate visa or entry permit before travelling to the HKSAR.
12. HKSAR visa requirements for the following foreign countries / territories:
65 Quốc Gia không được miễn Visa vào Hồng Kông/ 222 Lãnh thổ
Nationality of foreign country (Territory)/ Type of Travel Document
Visa free period for visit not exceeding
Always require VISA, except in direct transit by air and when the person does not leave the airport transit area
Nationals of other foreign countries do not require visas for a visit
* All nationals are required to hold a valid visa for the HKSAR for whatever purpose (including those who are in transit and remain on the airside).
^ All nationals (except holders of Diplomatic and Official passports) are required to hold a valid visa for the HKSAR for whatever purpose (including those who are in transit and remain on the airside).
13. The information in this chapter on visa or entry permit requirements for visitors to the HKSAR is updated in March 2007. There may be subsequent changes.