A. Mary was too disappointed to keep calm.
B. Despite her disappointment, Mary tried to keep calm.
C. Mary lost her temper because of her disappointment.
D. Feeling disappointed, Mary tried to keep calm, but she failed.
2/. Even though it was raining heavily, the explorers decided to continue their journey.
A. It rained so heavily that the explorers could not continue their journey.
B. The explorers put off their journey due to the heavy rain.
C. The heavy rain could not prevent the explorers from continuing their journey.
D. If it had rained heavily, the explorers would not have continued their journey.
3/. Despite his ability to do the job, he was not offered the position.
A. It was his ability that helped him do the job and get the position.
B. Although he was able to do the job, but he was not offered the position.
C. He was not offered the position, regardless of his ability to do the job.
D. If he had enough ability to do the job, he would be offered the position.
4/. He had worked very hard but he failed.
A. Hard as he worked, he failed.
B. Thanks to his hard work, he failed.
C. He did not succeeded because of his being hard working.
D. Even though being hard-working, he failed.
V/. Error identification:
1/. I didn’t get the job offered despite I had all necessary qualifications.
A B C D
C. come / will meet D. had come / would meet
C. would not punish D. will not punish
C. would have been failed D. wouldn’t fail
C. would take / has had D. would take / had had
C. had / would have been D. was / would have been
C. hadn’t believed D. can’t believe
C. had been / would eat D. were / would have eaten
C. would send / had D. would send / had had
C. had known / are D. knew / had been
A. brings B. would bring C. will bring D. brought
30. What …… if they …… tomorrow?
A. will you do / don’t come B. would you do / don’t come
C. would you have done / won’t come D. do you do / won’t come
31. He said, “…… watch TV all the evening if you wish.”
A. You may B. You have to C. You need to D. You should
32. If he ……, please tell me.
A. comes B. won’t come C. will come D. come
33. If the earth …… move around the sun, everything …… floated.
A. didn’t / would be B. doesn’t / would be
C. didn’t / will be D. don’t / would be
34. If I …… that you were in hospital, I ……
A. had known / would have visited B. had known / would visit
C. knew / would visit D. knew / would have visited
35. If he had taken my advice, he …… a rich man now.
A. would be B. would have been C. had been D. were
36. Unless you …… smoking, you …… better.
A. stop / won’t feel B. stop / will feel
C. stopped / will feel D. stopped / would feel
37. It is a beautiful house, and I …… it if I …… enough money, but I cannot afford it.
A. would buy / had B. will buy / have
C. would have bought / had had D. shall buy / have
38. If you are right, I ….. wrong.
A. am B. will be C. would be D. would have been
39. If I …… to the party last night, I …… tired now.
A. had gone / would be B. had gone / would have been
C. went / would be D. went / would have been
40. Joe can’t hear ……. you shout.
A. unless B. if C. providing D. whether
41. You can use my car …….you drive carefully.
A. as long as B. whether C. until D. unless
42. You can smoke here …….you leave a windowopen to let the smoke out.
A. as long as B. whether C. unless D. until
43. George won’t lend you any money …….you promise to pay him back.
A. unless B. providing C. if D. as long as
44. I’m going now …… you want me to stay.
A. unless B. providing C. provided D. as long as
45. He said, “…… watch TV all the evening if you wish.”
A. You may B. You have to C. You need to D. You should
46…… immediately, I will call a policeman.
A. Unless you leave B. If you leave
C. If you didn’t leave D. Unless you left
47. If Jake …… to go on the trip, would you have gone?
A. hadn’t agreed B. didn’t agree C. doesn’t agree D. wouldn’t agree
48. He would be happy if he …… here now.
A. were B. already C. would be D. be
49. If I could speak Spanish, I …… next year studying in Mexico.
A. would spend B. would have spent C. had spent D. will spend
50. If the weather …… fine, we will start early.
A. is B. be C. was D. will be
2. That was the reason..........he didn't marry her.
A. when B. where C. why D. which
3. An architect is someone..........deigns buildings.
4. The boy to..........I lent my money is poor.
A. who B. whom C. which D. that
5. The land and the people..........I have met are nice.
6. I can answer the ..........you say is very difficult.
7. This is the place..........the battle took place ten years ago.
8. Sunday is the day..........which we usually go fishing.
A. during B. at C. in D. on
9. This is the last time..........I speak to you.
A. of which B. whose C. that D. which
10. He talked about the books and the authors..........interested him.
11. Bondi is the beautiful beach..........I used to sunbathe.
A. when B. where C. which D. why
12. Dec 26th, 05 was the day..........the terrible tsunami happened.
13. The woman..........lives next my door is doctor.
14. The boy..........Mary likes is my son.
A. who B. whom C. which D. whose
15. The boy..........eyes are brown is my son.
16. The table..........legs are broken should be repaired.
17. The town..........we are living is noisy and crowded
18. The year..........we came to live here was 1997
19. The worker..........house is next to mine died this morning.
20. The lady..........son went on a picnic with us last weekend is a teacher at our school.
A. who B. whom C. whose D. that
21. Take..........measures you consider best.
22. ..........difficulties you may encounter, I'm sure you'll succeed.
A. how B. whatever C. however D. how great
23. He is the only friend..........I like.
A. who B. whom C. that D. whose
24. I didn't get the job..........which I applied.
A. in B. on C. at D. for
25. The man..........whom she is married has been married twice before.
A. in B. on C. at D. to
26. I wasn't interested in the things..........which they were talking.
A. in B. on C. at D. about
27. The bed..........which I slept was too soft.
28. The party..........which we went wasn't very enjoyable.
29. The flight..........which we wanted to travel was fully booked.
30. She is the most beautiful girl..........ever lived.
31. The decision was postponed,..........was exactly what he wanted.
32. All the people..........have gone into the room are still young.
33. Jack has three brothers, all of..........are married.
34. They gave us a lot of information, most of..........was useless.
35. There were a lot of people at the party, only a few of..........I had met before.
A. who B. whom C. them D. that
36. . I have sent him two letters, neither of..........has arrived.
37. John won $,600, half of..........he gave to his parents.
38. Ten people applied for the job, none of..........were suitable.
39. Jill isn't on the phone,..........makes it difficult to contact her.
40. Bod is the kind of person to..........one can talk about anything.
A. who B. whom C. that D. him
41. He is a person..........friends trust him.
A. who B. whose C. his D. that
42. Your career should focus on a field in................you are genuinely interested.
43. People..........outlook on life is optimistic are usually happy people.
45. They said they didn't have any money,..........was a pity.
46. I haven't got a passport...........means I can't leave my country.
47. The part of town where I live is very noisy at night,..........makes it difficult to sleep.
48. That is the place..........the accident occurred.
49. The boys ……………. tennis over there are my new neighbor.
A. who plays B. playing C. that playing D. are playing
50. He read the Old Man and The Sea, a novel ………….by Ernest Hemingway.
1. Many U.S. automobiles --------------- in Detroit , Michigan.A. manufacture B. have manufactured C.are manufactured D.are manufacturing
2. I still can’t believe it ! My bicycle ----------- last night.
A. was stolen B. was stealing C. stolen D. stole
3. Let’s go ahead and do it now. Nothing ------------ by waiting.A.will be accomplished B. accomplished C. has accomplished D.accomplishes
4.” When ----------? “ - In 1928A. penicillin was discovered B. did penicillin discovered
C. was penicillin discovered D. did penicilin discover 5. The rescuers ---------- for their bravery and fortitude in locating the lost mountain climbers.
A. were praised B. praised C. were praising D. praising6. Vitamin C ---------- by the human body . It gets into the bloods stream quickly.
A. absorbs easily B. is easily absorbing C. is easily absorbed D. absorbed easily
7. Renoir is one of the most popular French impressionist painters. His paintings ---------- masterpieces all over the world.
A. had considered B. are considering C. are considered D. consider
8. We can’t go along here because the road is ---------------.
A. been repaired B. being repaired C. repaired D. repairing
9. More than 50 films --------------- in HCMC since June
A. were shown B. had been shown C. have been shown D.have shown
10. George is --------------- Lisa.
A. marry with B. marry to C. married with D. married to
11. DNA tests ------------ accepted in our court cases.
A. are known B. were used C. have been D. will have
12. The child’s arm was swoolen because he -------- by a bee.
A. had being stung B. had stung C. stung D. had been stung.
13. Mr wilson is ----------- as Willie to his friend.
A known B. knew C. is known D. knowed
14. If you ----------- by the police for speeding , what would you do ?
A. stopped B. are stopped C. was stopped D.were stopped
15. His car needs ---------.
A. be fixed B. to be fixing C. to be fixed D.fixed
16. It ------------ that the strike will end soon.
A. is expected B. expected C. are expected D. was expected
17. These tennis courts don’t ----------- very often . Not many people want to play.
A. got used B. used C. get used D. get use
18. Each word in our mental dictionaries ---------- with its unique sound and meaning.
A. must store B. must be stored C. must is stored D. must to be stored
19. These instructions ----------- precisely.
A. must follow B. must followed C. must to be followed D must be followed
20. Tuition and fees --------- if a student withdraws after the fifteenth day of the team.
A. not refunded B. will not be refunded C. will be not refunded D. will not refund
21. When I was a child , I ------------ by my parents.
A. used to punished B. use to be punished C. use to punish D. used to be punished
22.An international conference --------------- in Hanoi next week.
A. will held B. will be hold C is going to hold D. will be held
23. The day of the meeting ------------------ again.
A. will change B. will be changed C.will has to be changed D.will have to change
24. Mary ----------- about our change in plans.
A. has told B. has just been told C. has been just told D.had been just told.
25.These books ------------------------ back to the library.
A. should have given B should give C. should have been given D.must have given
26. The earth----------- to be flat.
A. believed B. is believed C.was believed D. is considered
27.He is rumoured to --------------- on the way home.
A. have attacked B. be attacked C attacked D. have been attacked
28. The flight to Hanoi-------------- because of the bad weather.
A. can postpone B. will postpone C.can be postponed D. can be postpone
29. Had there been your presence, everything ----------------- carefully.
A. would have arranged B. would have been arranged C. would be arranged D.will be arranged
30. A new hospital ----------------- in this area soon.
A. is going to build B.is going to be build C.is going to be built D. will build
31.Many species of rare animals --------------- seriously.
A. is endangered B. are in danger C. are threaten D. are threatened
32. The girl ----------------------- is now in hospital.
A. who injured in the accident B. was injured in the accident.
C. who was injured in the accident D. whom she injured.
33.The robbers attacked the police from behind.
A. The police was attacked from behind. B. The police were attacked from behind.
C. The robbers were attacked from behind D. The robbers are attacked from behind
34. They have to hold the meeting in this narrow room.
A. The meeting had to be hold in this narrow room. B.The meeting has to be hold in this narrow room.
C.The meeting has to be holded in this narrow room D. The meeting has to be held in this narrow room.
35. They showed his photograph on television.
A. On television they had his photograph shown. B. His photograph was shown on television.
C. His photograph is being shown on television D. The television was shown his photograph.
36. They began to build the bridge two months ago.
A. The bridge was begun to build two months ago. B. The bridge was begun to be built two months ago.
C. The bridge began to build two months ago. D. The bridge began to be built two months ago.
37. They saw him searching the truck.
A. He is seen searching the truck. B. He is seen to search the truck.
C. He was seen searching the truck D. He was being seen searching the truck.
38.His parents made him do it.
A. He was made do it. B. He was made to do it.
C. He made his parents to do it D. His parents were made do it.
39. The barber has cut my hair.
A. My hair has already been cut now. B. I’ve got to have the barber cut my hair.
C.My hair has become shorter and shorter D. I’ve had my hair cut.
40.People say that the American women are used to living independently means
A. It is said that the American women are used to living independently.
B.The American women are said to be used to living independently.
C.The American women are said they be used to live independently.
D.A & B are correct
41.People think that he was born in a rich family.
A. That is thought he was born in a rich family. B. He was thought to be born in a rich family.
C. That he was born in a rich family is thought. D. He is thought to have been born in a rich family.
42. It is impossible to do this work right now.
A. It is impossible for this work to be done right now. B.It is impossible for to be done this work right now.
C. This work is impossible to do right now. D. This work is impossible to be done
43. Close the windows of the room.
A. Let the windows of the room to be closed B. Let the windows of the room be closed.
C. The windows of the room are closed. D. The windows of the room will be closed.
44. They said that the president had arrived in the city.
A. The president was said to have arrived in the city. B. It is said that the president had arrived in the city.
C. The president was said to arrive in the city. D. It was said that the president arrived in the city.
45. He expects that his father will come back home.
A. It was expected that his father will come back home. B. His father was expected to be come back home.
C. His father will be expected to come back home. D. His father is expected to come back home.
46.Further tests / going / done / drug / soon
A. Further tests are going to done on the drug soon. B. Further tests are going to do on the drug soon.
C.Further tests are going to be done on the drug soon. D. Further tests are going to be done the drug soon.
47. This book / ought/ read/ on the spot.
A. This book ought be read on the spot. B. This book ought to been read on the spot.
C.This book ought to be read on the spot D. This book ought to have been read on the spot.
48.We / believe/ human life / can/ prolong / drug.
A. We believe that human life can prolong by the drug
B. We believe that human life can be prolonged by the drug.
C.We believe that human life could be prolonged by the drug.
D. We are believed that human life can be prolonged by the drug.
49. Our plan / might / cancel / due / lack of funds.
A. Our plan might be cancelled due to lack of funds. B.Our plan might be cancel due to lack of fund
C. Our plan might cancelled due to lack of funds D. Our plan might cancel due to lack of funds.
50. This car / need / wash / before / I / use / tomorrow.
A.This car needs to washed before I use it tomorrow B.This car needs to be washed before it is used tomorrow.
C. This car needs washing before it uses tomorrow. DThis car needs to be washing before it is used tomorrow.