1/ I can’t afford _______ you any more money .
a. borrowing b. to borrow c. to lend d. my lending
2/ The teacher encouraged _______ good compositions .
a. us write b. us to write c. us writing d. us to writing
3/ “ Stacey seems like a bright student .”
- “ She’s always the first ________ her work.”
a. to finish b. finishing
c. to being finished with d. to be finish with
4/ Please ask the restaurant clientele ________ in the no smoking area .
a. don’t smoke b. not to smoke c. not smoking d. don’t to smoke
5/ “Why have you given up your job ? ”
– “ ______ on my present salary is impossible .”
a. For me to live b. To live for me c. Me living d. I live
6/ “What’s wrong with Henry ? ” – “ He needs __________”
a. cheer up b. to be cheer up c. cheering up d. to cheered up
7/ “Why are you mad ?” – “ I dislike ________ by my first name .”
a. you call b. you to call me c. your calling me d. you call me
8/ “ Which baseball team do you support ?”
– “ We’d like ________”
a. the Tigers win b. That the Tigers win
c. the Tigers will win d. the Tigers to win
9/ “ May I help you ?”
– “ Yes , I need someone _______ the tire on my car .”
a. change b. to change c. changing d. to be changed
10/ “I heard Fred is going to work for the ambassader . ”
– “ Yes , he was lucky _______ such a good job.”
a. to give b. about getting c. to be given d. to be giving
11/ Can you get the teacher ______ us less homework ?
a. give b. giving c. to give d. her giving
12/ “ Mary hasn’t been feeling well lately .”
– “ Yes, we want _________ by a doctor .”
a. him to examine b. that he be examined
c. him to be examined d. he is examined
13/ “ How did you travel so cheaply in Europe ? ”
– “ We reduced our expenses by taking the train and _____ in inexpensive restaurants . ”
a. eat b. to eat c. eating d. ate
14/ “ Your homemade ice cream is so good . What’s your secret ?”
– “ _____ good ice cream, you need to use a lot of cream .”
a. For make b. to make c. Making d. Make
15/ “ I’d like to go bowling tonight .”
“ Don’t forget we’ve already made plans _______ to dinner at the Caihouns’ ”
a. to go b. going c. for go d.go
16/ “ Why are you mad , Katherine ?” – “ That traffic jam _____ be late .”
a. made us b. caused us c. had us to d. forced us
17/ “ My mother says I can’t marry Jim” – “ She should let ______ your own mind.”
a. you make up b. that you make up
c. you to make up d. you making up
18/ I can’t open the top of this apple juice .“ – “ ________ it.”
a. Mark have to do b. Make Mark to do
c. Have Mark do d. Have Mark done
19/ I can hear a cat ______ at the widow .
a. scratching b. scratches
c. to scrath d. was scratching
20/ “ Why do the police want to talk to you ?”
– “ Because we saw the money _____ last night.”
a. stealing b. been stolen c. stole d. stolen
1. I enjoy ------------ to the park on summer evenings.
A. to go B. going C. being gone D. go
2. Don’t forget ------------ home as soon as you arrive at your destination.
A. to call B. calling C. having called D. to be called
3. When I kept getting unwanted calls, I called the phone company and had my phone number -----------. The process was easier than I expected it to be.
A. change B. changed C. to change D. changing
4. Jean should seriously consider ---------- an actress. She is a very talented performer.
A. to become B. become C. becoming D. will become
5. ---- television to the exclusion of all other activities si not a healthy habit for a growing child.
A. To be watched B. Being watched C. Watching D. Watch
6. After their children had grown up. Mr. and Mrs. Sills decided ------------- to a condominium in the city. They’s never been sorry.
A. to have moved B. moving C. move D. to move
7. I truly appreciated ------------ to give the commencement address, but I wasn’t able to accept the honor because of a previous commitment.
A. asking B. to have asked C. to ask D. having been asked
8. The store manager caught the cashier ------------ money from the cash register and promptly called the police. They discovered that it had been going on for a long time.
A. to sneak B. sneaking C. to have sneaked D.being sneaked
9. My roommate’s handwriting is very bad, so he had me ---his paper for him last night.
A. to type B. type C. to have typed D. boil
10. The municipal authorities advised --------- all drinking water during the emergency.
A. to boil B. to be boiled C. boiling D. boil
11. If we leave now for our trip, we can drive half the distance before we stop --- lunch.
A. having B. to have C. having had D. for having
12. Our schedule is not working out. We should discuss ----------- our daily routine. I don’t feel as though we’re getting enough accomplished .
A. changing B. to change C. to have changed D.being changed
13. I can’t recall ----------- that old movie, but maybe I did many years ago.
A. having seen B. to have seen C. to see D. having been seen
14. Our school basketball team won the championship game by ------- two points in the last five seconds. It was the most exciting game I have ever attended.
A. being scored B. to score C. scoring D. score
15. The flight attendants made all the passengers ------ their seat belts during the turbulence.
A. to buckle B. to have buckled C. buckling D. buckle
16. It has become necessary --------- water in the metropolitan area because of the severe drought.
A. rationing B. ration C. to have fationed D. to ration
17. You can’t blame Ralph for -------------- to eat that dessert. It looked delicious.
A. to be tempted B. tempted C. be tempted D. having been tempted
18. Let’s leave early, so we’ll be ahead of the rush of commuters. We can’t risk ------------ in heavy traffic during rush hour.
A. holding up B. being held up C. having held up D. to hold up
19. It is always interesting ------- people in airprots while you’re waiting for a flight
A. being observed B. observe C. to have observed D. to observe
20. I got everyone in the family -------- Jane’s birthday card before I sent it to her.
A. sign B. signed C. to sign D. having signed
CLAUSE OF PURPOSE
B. She turned down the radio in order not to disturb the neighbours .
C. She turned down the radio in order that she wouldn’t disturb the neighbours .
D. All are correct .
B. He gave me his address for me in order to visit him .
D. He gave me his address in order to for me visit him .
A. not to B. so as not to C. in order to D. so that
C. so as to that his students could understand it D. so that his students could understand it
C. so that not to be punished by the teacher D. in order that not to be punished by the teacher
B. I tried to study English well in order that I can get a good job
C. I tried to study English well to get a good job
D. all are correct
C. They whispered to make everyone hear them
D. They whispered in order that make everyone hear them
B. We preserve natural resources so as to we can use them in the future
C. We preserve natural resources for future use
D. A and C
17.The students study English ....................they can communicate with foreigners.
A. so that B.so....that C. in order to D. A & C
18. He left home early .......................................................................................................
C. so that he couldn’t arrive at the station on time. D.A& C
19.The teacher explained the lesson again in order that........................................................
A. all the students could understand the lesson . B. all the students could drive to school.
C. all the students could pass the examination. D.all the students could exchange the answers.
Find a mistake in each of the following sentences:
A. is B.was C.has been D. had been
2. Don’t go anywhere untill I ....................................back.
A.come B.came C.will come D.am coming
3.Before cars .................................., people ...........................horses and bicycles.
C.had discovered/ used D.discovered/ had used
4. I am going to speak with the boss when the meeting _______.
A. will end B. ends C. is ending D. would end
5.When we.........................him tomorrow, We will remind him of that.
A. will see B.see C.am seeing D.saw.
6. When he comes , I ……………her the news .
A. tell B. will tell C. would tell D . would have told
7. When the police came , they ……………
A. are fighting B. fought C. would be fighting D. were fighting
8. Before she came to England , she ………… English .
A. studied B. will study C. had studied D was studying
9 I have lost touch with him …………. He left for London .
A. as soon as B. after C. before D. since
10 My mother is washing the dishes …………… my father is watching television .
A. when B. while C. as D. since
C. Until he will return D. No sooner he returns
C. When having dinner D. When lam having dinner
C. Finished D. After had finished
C. is speaking / eats D. has spoken / will have eaten
C. When it will rain D. Whenever it rains
C. will finish / have taken D. has finished / will take
A. am b. is C. are D. deing
15 when I ( read ) this novel, you can have it.
A. read B. am reading C. was reading d. reads
CLAUSES OF CONTRAST AND RESULT
I/. Choose the correct comletion:
1/. (Even though / Despite) her doctor warned her, Carol has continued to smoke nearly three packs of cigarettes a day.
2/. (Even though / Despite) her doctor’s warnings, Carol has continued to smoke nearly three packs of cigarettes a day.
3/. (Even though / Despite) the warnings her doctor gave her, Carol has continued to smoke nearly three packs of cigarettes a day.
4/. (Even though / Despite) the fact that her doctor warned her of dangers to her health, Carol continues to smoke.
5/. (Even though / Despite) she has been warned about the danger of smoking by her doctor, Carol continues to smoke.
6/. (Although / In spite of) an approaching storm, the two climbers continued their trek up the mountain.
7/. (Although / In spite of) a storm was approaching, the two climbers continued their trek.
8/. (Even though / In spite of) the storm that was approaching the mountain area, the two climbers continues their trek.
9/. (Although / Despite) his many hours of practice, George failed his driving test for the third time.
10/. (Although / Despite) he had practised for many hours, George failed his driving test for the third time.
11/. (Although / Despite) practising for many hours, George failed his driving test again.
12/. (Although / Despite) his mother and his father’s efforts to teach him how to drive, George failed his driving test.
II/. Complete the following sentences with although, despite, because, because of
1/. _____________it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
2/. A. ___________all our careful plans, a lot of things went wrong.
B. ___________we had planned everything carefully, a lot of things went wrong.
3/. A. I went home early ____________I was feeling unwell.
B. I went to work the next day____________I was still feeling unwell.
4/. A. She only accepted the job __________the salary, which was very high.
B. She accepted the job _____________the salary, which was rather low.
5/. A. I managed to get to sleep ____________there was a lot of noise.
B. I couldn’t get to sleep _____________the noise.
III/. Choose the best answer:
1/. _________ having the best qualifications among all the applicants, Justin was not offered the job.
A. Although B. While C. In spite of D. Despite of
2/. ________ the internet is very popular, many older people do not know how to use it.
A. However B. Nevertheless C. Even though D. Despite
3/. _________ he wasn’t feeling very well, David was determined to take part in the inter-university athletics meet.
A. Although B. While C. Where as D. yet
4/. They were brave and persistent._________, they had no chance of winning.
A. However B. While C. Although D. Whereas
5/. Bob has been working very hard these days. ________, he can’t afford to buy a new car.
A. While B. Even though C.Though D. Nevertheless
6/. __________ what she prepared for the job interview, Megan didn’t pass it.
A. Despite of B. In spite of C. Though D. However
7/. Josh is one of the best student of the school._________, he can’t pass the national chemistry exam.
C. In spite of the fact that D. Despite of the fact that
8/. Bruce was not praised_________ he was a hard worker.
A.despite B. in spite of C. although D. despite of
9/. It looks like they are going to succeed_________ their present difficulties.
A.despite B. although C. in spite D. even though
10/. Mery usually goes to parties. She likes meeting people and crowded places ________she is rather shy.
A.In spite of B. Even though C. On the contrary D. In other words
11/. Ann: Have you decided to get the job?
Terry: Yes, I’ve just decided. I’ll accept that job_________ it is not suitable with my major. It is not an interesting job,________ the salary is very good.
A. although / but B. despite / and C. but / though D. yet / however
12/. ________ he has continued to work on his thesis.
A. Although all these problems B. Even though there are problems
C. Despite all these problems D. In spite of there are problems
17/. In spite of ____________, he was determined to finish his work.
A. was seriously ill. B. be seriously ill
C. his serious illness D. he was seriously ill
13. _______ some German and British management styles are similar, there are many differences between them.
A. In spite B. In spite of C. although D. Despite
14. I could not eat _______ I was very hungry.
A. even though B. in spite C. despite D. despite of
15. In spite _______, the baseball game was not cancelled.
A. the rain B. of the rain B. it was raining D. there was a rain
16. _______ he had enough money, he refused to buy a new car.
A. In spite B. In spite of C. Despite D. Although
17. _______, he walked to the station.
A. Despite being tired B. Although to be tired
C. In spite being tired D. Despite tired
18. The children slept well, despite _______.
A. it was noise B. the noise C. of the noise D. noisy
19. She left him _______ she still loved him.
A. even if B. even though C. in spite of D. despite
20. _______ her lack of hard work, she was promoted.
A. In spite B. Even though C. In spite of D. Despite of
21. _______ they are brothers, they do not look like.
A. Although B. Even C. Despite D. In spite of
22/. Our new neighbors are quite nice _______ they are sometimes talkative.
A. despite B. in spite of C. though D. as though
23/. _______ of the difficulty, they managed to climb to the top of the mountain.
A. In spite B. Despite C. But D. Although
24/. _____________, he could not finish the job.
A. As hard as he work B. Despite he worked hard
C. Though he worked hard D. Although hard work
25/. He went to work _____________ his headache.
A. despite B. although C. because D. because of
26/. Despite _______, we knew that he was guilty.
A. denied B. of denying C. he denied D. his denial
27/. Despite the fact that _______, we enjoyed our trip.
A. the weather is bad B. it is a bad weather
C. the bad weather D. the weather was bad
28/. Julie failed the exam _______ of working very hard.
A. despite B. in spite C. even if D. though
29/. Tom went to work despite _______.
A. that he did not feel very well B. of the fact not feeling well
C. he did not feel very well D. not feeling very well
30/. Though _______, they are good friends.
A. their sometimes quarrel B. to have a quarrel sometimes
C. they sometimes have a quarrel D. of having a quarrel sometimes
31/. Despite _______, we arrived on time.
A. the traffic B. of the traffic
C there was heavy traffic D. of there was heavy traffic
32/. ___________it was very cold, she did not put on her coat.
A. In case B. But C. Even if D. Although