1. A. introduce B. huge C. flute D. cute
2. A. kicked B. fixed C. pleased D. missed
3. A. mistakes B. heads C. dates D. hats
4. A. shower B. allow C. bellow D. down
5. A. valentine B. examine C. determine D. heroine
6. I’d rather you _______________ home now.
A. go B. went C. will go D. would go
7. By the end of next month, we ___________ this assignment.
A. will finish B. will be finishing C. will have finished D. have finished
8. Don’t try too hard. Don’t ______ off more than you can ______
A. eat – swallow B. eat – chew C. bite – swallow D. bite - chew
9. There’s no _______________ in going to school if you are not willing to learn.
A. reason B. point C. aim D. purpose
10. Their migration may be halted if fog, clouds, or rain hides the stars.
A. postponed B. spoiled C. stopped D. endangered
11. “Can you wait while I run into the library?” “- Ok, _______________ you hurry”
A. so B. therefore C. unless D. as long as
12. The government should do more for ___________ people.
A. usual B. ordinary C. everyday D. typical
13. - You must be Jane's sister. Glad to meet you.
A. I am, either B. So I am. I'm glad C. What do you do D. Me too
14. The sign says that all shoplifters will be ________.
A. persecuted B. disproved C. prosecuted D. prohibited
15. - Goodbye, Susie!
A. So so B. The same C. Yeah D. So long
16. Moving to a new town brought about many changes in his life.
A. resulted in B. speeded up C. resulted from D. prevented
17. We _________ today and I got into trouble because I hadn't done it.
A. had checked our homework B. had our homework checked
C. were checked our homework D. have our homework checking
18. Flatboats ferry cars on the Great Lakes between the United States and Canada.
A. transport B. pursue C. inspected D. detain
19. One _____ of public transport is its unreliability.
A. benefit B. disadvantage C. harm D. drawback
A. confusion B. crumb C. deterioration D. defect
21. The girl _____ is my neighbor.
A. talks to the lady over there. B. is talking to the lady over there
C. was talking to the lady over there D. talking to the lady over there
22. My daughter often says that she won't get married until she _____ 25 years old.
A. is B. will be C. will have been D. has been
23. Everyone in both cars _____ injured in the accident last night, ______?
A. were/weren't they B. was/weren't they C. was/wasn't he? D. were/were they
24. Not only _____ us light, but it also gives us heat.
A. the sun gives B. the sun has given C. has the sun given D. does the sun give
25. If you hadn't stayed up so late last night, you ______ sleepy now.
A. wouldn't have felt B. wouldn't feel C. wouldn't fell D. wouldn't have fallen
26. Increasing ______ of fruit in the diet may help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
A. the amount B. an amount C. the number D. a number
27. "Is that a new coat?" "Yes, what _____ it?”
A. are you thinking of B. do you think of
C. is your idea about D. did you think about
28. The room needs ______ for the wedding.
A. decorating B. to decorate C. decorate D. be decorated
29. When the old school friends met, a lot of happy memories ______ back.
A. had brought B. were brought C. brought D. had been brought
30. The price of fruit has increased recently, ______ the price of vegetables has gone down.
A. whereas B. whether C. when D. otherwise
31. Man’s use of colors _____ back to the time when men first used red and yellow clays to paint their bodies.
A. had dated B. dating C. dated D. dates
32. They were fortune ______ from the fire before the building collapsed.
A. to rescue B. to have rescued C. rescuing D. to have been rescued
33. These days women are not expected to stay at home ______ their mothers did in the past.
A. such as B. like C. as if D. as
34. The twins look so much alike that almost no one can ______ them ______.
A. tell – away B. take – on C. tell – apart D. take – apart
35. - How lovely your pets are!
A. Thank you, it's nice of you to say no B. Really? They are
C. Can you say that again D. I love them, too