KEY Exercise 1: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
“How was your exam?” “A couple of questions were tricky, but on the _____ it was pretty easy.”
A. spot B.general C. hand D. whole
On the whole = in general
On the spot = immediately
If you practice regularly, you can learn this language skill in short _______ of a time.
A. period B. aspect C. arrangement D. activity
In short period of time: Trong khoảng thời gian ngắn:
Students can _______ a lot of information just by taking an active part in class.
A. concern B. install C. appear D. memorize
A few years ago, a fire _____ much of an overcrowded part of the city.
A. battled B. devastated : tàn phá C. mopped D. developed
5. I have learned a lot about the value oflabour (giá trị của sức lao động ) form my _______ at home.
A. credit B. energy C. chores: công việc nhà
D. pot plants
6. Although he tried to hide it, it was ______that Peter didn’t like his birthday present.
A. foolish B. basic C. obvious : rõ ràng
D. vigorous: mãnh liệt
7. Environemental groups try to stop farmers from using harmful ________ on their crops.
A. economy B. agriculate C. investments D. chemicals
8. If you ______ too much on study, you will get tired and stressed.
A. concentrate B. develop C. organize D. complain
Concentrate on (phr v): tập trung vào 9. Good heath and methods of study are very necessary, or _______ for success in college.
A. avaible B. dependable C. essential D. efficicient
Necessary = essential 10. In order to _______ their goals in college, students need to invest the maximum amount of time, money, and energy in their studies.
A. manage B. catch C. establish D. achieve
Achieve/ attain a goal: đạt được mục tiêu Exercise 2: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to inducate the correct answer to each of the following questions. 1. Before choosing a job, you should take into consideration several_______ including the supply and demand for professionals in any particular field.
A. turns B. factors C. ramarks D. sides
Trước khi chọn một công việc, bạn nên xem xét nhiều khía cạnh bao gồm nguồn cung và cầu nghề nghiệp trong những lĩnh vực cụ thể
2. The Business Advisory Council has been specially designed for those in ________ of advice about setting up new businesses.
A. absence B. duty C. want D. need
In need of advice: đang cần lời khuyên
3. The city has ________ of young consumers who are sensitve to trends, and can, therefore, help industries predict the potential risks and success of products.
A. a high rate B. a high proportion C. a high tendency
D. a great level
High/ low rate: tỷ lệ cao/ thấp 4. Don’t ________ to conclusions, we don’t yet know all the relevant facts.
A. hurry B. jump C. rush D. run
Jump to conclusions / leap to the conclusion that: kết luận vội vàng 5. I wonder if you could _______ me a small favour, Tom?
A. bring B. make C. give D. do
Could do me a favour = please help me
6. Sicientists warn that many of the world’s great cities are _______ flooding.
9. He recievec a medal in _________ to his bravery.
A. turns B. response C. favour D. reward
In response to: đáp lại
In favour of: ủng hộ
To reward for: thưởng, tặng
10. He left the country _______ arrest of he retured.
A. in fear that B. with fear of
C. under threat of : bị đe dọa D. with threat of
CHUYÊN ĐỀ 17 MỆNH ĐỀ TRẠNG NGỮ (ADVERBIAL CLAUSES) * PHẦN I: LÝ THUYẾT I.Clauses and phrase of concession introduced by although, though, even though, even if, In spite of, despite ... (mệnh đề, cụm chỉ sự nhượng bộ)
Nghĩa: Mặc dù
although, though, even though, even if + Clause
In spite of, despite + phrase
II.Clauses and phrase of reason introduced by as/ because/since (mệnh đề chỉ nguyên nhân)
Nghĩa: Bởi vì
Because, Since/As + Clause
Because of, / Due to/ Thanks to + phrase
III.Clauses and phrase of result with such/ so.that (mệnh đề, cụm chỉ kết quả)
Clause of result:
S - V + SO + adv/ adj + THAT + S – V (quá đến nổi)
S - V + SUCH + ( a/ an ) + adj + noun + THAT + S - V(quá đến nổi)
S - V + SO MANY ( plural countable noun) / + THAT + S - V
SO MUCH ( uncountable noun )
Phrase of result:
S - V + TOO + adj/ adv + ( for some one ) + TO V (quá đến nổi không thể)
S - V + ENOUGH + noun + ( for some one ) + TO V (đủ để)
Adj/ adv + ENOUGH
IV.Clauses and phrase of purpose expressed by so that, in order that (mệnh đề, cụm chỉ mục đích)
Clause: S - V + so that / in order that + S + can/ could/ will/ would + V ( bare – infinitive)
Phrase: Khẳng định: S - V + to/ so as to/ in order to + V(bare-inf.)
S - V + in order for some one to + V(bare-inf.)
Phủ định: S - V + so as not to/ in order not to + V(bare-inf.)
***HOW TO CHANGE FROM CLAUSES – PHRASES:
Clause: S+V + O (câu)
Phrase: Noun phrase, verb phrase … (cụm)
Cách chuyển một clause phrase
S + BE + ADJ
HIS/ HER/ MY + NOUN
( sở hữu) ( Adj-ness)
THE + NOUN + BE + ADJ
THE + ADJ + NOUN
Khi chủ ngữ ở hai mệnh đề giống nhau
S + V
* PHẦN II: BÀI TẬP VẬN DỤNG EXERCISES FOR ADVERBIAL CLAUSES
I.CLAUSE OF CONCESSION
A. Choose the best answer:
1. ________ having the best qualifications among all the applicants, Justin was not offered the job.
A. Although B. While C. In spite of D. Despite of
2. ________ the internet is very popular, many older people do not know how to use it.
A. However B. Nevertheless C. Even though D. Despite
3. _________ he wasn’t feeling very well, David was determined to take part in the inter-university athletics meet.
A. Although B. While C. Where as D. yet
4. __________ what Megan prepared for the job interview, she didn’t pass it.
A. Despite of B. In spite of C. Though D. However
5. Bruce was not praised_________ he was a hard worker.
A. despite B. in spite of C. although D. no matter how
6. It looks like they are going to succeed_________ their present difficulties.
A. despite B. although C. in spite D. even though
7. Mary usually goes to parties. She likes meeting people and crowded places ________she is rather shy.
A. In spite of B. Even though C. On the contrary D. In other words
8. Ann: Have you decided to get the job?
Terry: Yes, I’ve just decided. I’ll accept that job_________ it is not suitable with my major. It is not an interesting job, ________ the salary is very good.
A. although / but B. despite / and C. but / though D. yet / however
9. ________, he has continued to work on his thesis.
A. Although all these problems B. Even though there are problems
C. Despite of all these problems D. In spite of there are problems
10. In spite of ____________, he was determined to finish his work.
A. was seriously ill. B. be seriously ill C. his serious illness D. he was seriously ill
11. _______ some German and British management styles are similar, there are many differences between them.
A. In spite B. In spite of C. although D. Despite
12. I could not eat _______ I was very hungry.
A. even though B. in spite C. despite D. despite of
13. In spite _______, the baseball game was not cancelled.
A. the rain B. of the rain B. it was raining D. there was a rain
14. _______ he had enough money, he refused to buy a new car.
A. In spite B. In spite of C. Despite D. Although
15. _______, he walked to the station.
A. Despite being tired B. Although to be tired
C. In spite being tired D. Despite tired
16. The children slept well despite _______.
A. it was noise B. the noise C. of the noise D. noisy
17. She left him _______ she still loved him.
A. even if B. even though C. in spite of D. despite
18. _______ her lack of hard work, she was promoted.
A. In spite B. Even though C. In spite of D. Despite of
19. _______ they are brothers, they do not look alike.
A. Although B. Even C. Despite D. In spite of
20. Our new neighbors are quite nice _______ they are sometimes talkative.
A. despite B. in spite of C. though D. as though
21. _______ of the difficulty, they managed to climb to the top of the mountain.