VIETNAM NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, HANOI
VNU UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence – Freedom – Happiness
INFORMATION ON DOCTORAL THESIS
1. Full name: Nguyen Khac Long 2. Gender: Male
3. Date of birth: 04th, March,1970 4. Place of birth: Phu Tho
5. Decision on recognition of Doctoral Thesis No: 290/SĐH, on 22th, November, 2005 by President of Vietnam National University.
6. The changes during the training course:
6.1. Decision No 2128/QĐ-SĐH on 06/11/2008 by Rector of VNU University of Science on extending the training period and the deadline of defending the Doctoral thesis.
6.2. Decision No 3963/QĐ-SĐH on 19/11/2009 by President of Vietnam National University on giving permission for PhD Candidate to pause the study.
6.3. Document No 3235/ĐHQGHN-ĐT on 01/11/2011 of Vietnam National University on allowing PhD Candidate resume the programe.
6.4. Decision No 1151/QĐ-SĐH-TN on 31/12/2011 of Rector of VNU University of Science on returning PhD Candidate to agency or local.
7. Thesis title: Application of modelling and GIS for assessing the air quality of industrial zones and urban areas in Hai Duong province.
8. Speciality: Air Environment 9. Code: 62. 85.02.10
10. Supervisors: 1. Prof. Dr. Pham Ngoc Ho
2. Assoc Prof. Dr. Nguyen Ngoc Thach
11. Summary of new research findings of the thesis:
- Caline 4 is selected as an appropriate mathematical model, taking into account the obstacles, to calculate air emissions and forecast the dispersion of pollutants emitted from line sources. After verifying the appropriateness between the output of the model and actual measured data, the thesis uses it to forecast the concentration of TSP and CO, about 10 metres above the ground, emitted from the transport vehicles on some roads with houses along the both sides in major urban areas in Hai Duong province;
- The thesis uses the theory of probability statistic and random function applied in the environmental studies to establish the extrapolation and interpolation models for fuels used in cooking (gas and firewood) in Hai Duong. This method was just applied in forecasting population and some biological elements before. From this, the thesis gives the forcast of the pollutant loads of SO2, NOx, CO, TSP, and PM10 by 2020 under some scenarios (Population growth without the reduction of fuel consumption; and Population growth considering proper reduction of fuel consumption at different periods).
- This is the first time that Total Air Pollution Index (TAPI) is developed from Total environmental quality Index(TEQI) for assessing current environmental status and changes, zoning reasearch areas with 6 respective levels of pollution (Unpolluted, Acceptably Polluted, Lightly Polluted, Heavily Polluted, Severely Polluted, Hazardous). Then, the application of GIS techniques to partition the ambient air quality around industrial zones/industrial clusters, transportation routes and urban areas in Hai Duong. TAPI was verified and compared to the AQI by simulated data (Vietnam Environmental Standard). The result indicates that TAPI has the following advantages such as: taking into account the weight of each pollutant, assessment thresholds depend on the number of surveyed pollutants, not self -regulation as the APIs/AQIs of US and some other countries including Vietnam. Moreover, TAPI does not have "virtual" effects as AQI of Vietnam Environment Administration. TAPI, calculated from monitoring data in Hai Duong province, gives the results matching with reality.
12. Practical applicability:
- The results obtained from the quantitative assessment by Caline4 model shows that the pollution level of the heavily-trafficked roads will badly effect on the health of the urban residents who live in both sides of the road. Therefore, the model can be applied to estimate the air pollution from transportation in other provinces.
- Assessing air quality by individual indicators with aggregate index TAPI, and GIS makes the general air pollution picture of the research area, can apply to assess the air environmental quality of the industrial zones and urban areas in the whole country.
13. Further research directions:
Continuing to refine and improve the research methodology for applying mathematical model on forecasting the dispersion of pollutants emitted from line and surface sources, as well as creating the zoning map of air quality by GIS technique in Vietnam.
14. Published works related to the thesis:
. Pham Ngoc Ho, Dong Kim Loan, Vu Van Manh, Duong Ngoc Bach, Pham Thi Viet Anh, Nguyen Quoc Viet, Pham Thị Thu Ha, Nguyen Khac Long (2007), "Scientific basic and methodology on environmental planning; Their application for the development of environmental planning for Hai Duong province, period 2006-2020", Proceedings of scientific conference reports on:"Environmental Technology - Research and Application". pp. 17-23.
. Pham Ngoc Ho, Duong Ngoc Bach, Pham Thi Viet Anh, Nguyen Khac Long (2008), "Applying fixed box model to calculate concentration variable with time of SO2, NO2 and PM10 in Thanh Xuan District, Hanoi", VNU Journal of Science, Natural Sciences and Technology Vol. 24 (No1S), pp. 87-95.
. Pham Ngoc Ho, Dong Kim Loan, Dương Ngoc Bach, Luong Thi Mai Ly, Pham Thi Thu Hà, Nguyen Khac Long, Phạm Thi Viet Anh, Đam Thi Thu, Nguyen Dong Quan (2010), " Estimation of Air Pollution Emission from Domestic Sources in Hanoi", VNU Journal of Science, Natural Sciences and Technology Vol. 26 (No 5S), pp.748-753.
. Pham Ngoc Ho, Dong Kim Loan, Duong Ngoc Bach, Pham Thi Thu Ha, Nguyen Xuan Hai, Luong Thi Mai Ly, Nguyen Khac Long, Pham Thi Viet Anh, Vu Van Hieu (2010), " Emission Inventory of Air pollutants from road traffic sources in Hanoi city", VNU Journal of Science, Natural Sciences and Technology Vol. 26 (No 5S), pp.739-747.
. Pham Ngoc Ho, Duong Ngoc Bach, Pham Thi Viet Anh, Nguyen Khac Long (2011), “The box model improving method to predict the air pollutant transportation of SO2, NOx over time in Hanoi area”, VNU Journal of Science, Natural Sciences and Technology Vol. 27 (No 5S), pp.121-127.
. Nguyen Khac Long, Pham Ngoc Ho, (2012), "Application of the Total Air Pollution Index (TAPI) for classifying the level of air pollution in 2011", VNU Journal of Science, Natural Sciences and Technology Vol. 28 (No 4S), pp.125-129.
. Pham Ngoc Ho, Tran Hong Con, Dong Kim Loan, Duong Ngoc Bach, Pham Thi Viet Anh, Luong Thi Mai Ly, Pham Thi Thu Ha and Nguyen Khac Long (2012) “Determination of the Emission Factors from Burning Common Domestic Cooking Fuels in Vietnam and its Application for Calculation of their Pollution Load”, Environment Asia Vol.6(1), pp. 43-48.
Hanoi, December, 2013
Nguyen Khac Long