|BỘ GIÁO DỤC VÀ ĐÀO TẠO
TRƯỜNG CAO ĐẲNG KINH TẾ - CÔNG NGHỆ TP.HCM
HOCHIMINH CITY INSTITUTE OF APPLIED SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
This learning material is intended to provide students with guidelines to the learning of vocabulary and grammar in order to best use the core book “Developing Skills for the TOEIC TEST”, one of the most renowned books by First News.
The material contains 3 sessions. Session 1 deals with the knowledge of vocabulary in 14 units and the contextual examples of authentic language given to illustrate. Session 2 gives the important grammar practice tests related to the key grammar points so that students can actively practise and effectively improve their skills. Session 3 gives the answer key.
As mentioned, the material is beneficial to students. Constructive suggestions and corrections are, therefore, highly appreciated.
English lecturers, HIAST
First published in 2014, Ho Chi Minh. Compiled by lecturers of English Department, HIAST.
We would like to express our many thanks for the Directing Board of HIAST for their assistance, strong support and encouragement during the preparation and production of this material.
We warmly express our sincere thanks for our supportive colleagues at the English Department at HIAST for their initiation, for their long and kind co-operation as well as for their careful proof-reading and corrections in the making of this material.
Ho Chi Minh City, 2014
English Department, HIAST
SESSION 1 – VOCABULARY 4
UNIT 1: GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES 4
UNIT 2: AUXILIARY VERBS 12
UNIT 3: SUBJECT – VERB AGREEMENT 14
UNIT 4: VERB FORM AND TENSES 17
UNIT 5: PARTICIPIAL FORMS 21
UNIT 6: COMPARATIVES AND SUPERLATIVES 26
UNIT 7: NEGATION 28
UNIT 8: PRONOUNS AND DETERMINERS 43
UNIT 9: NOUNS AND ARTICLES 45
UNIT 10: RELATIVE CLAUSES 47
UNIT 11: CONJUNCTIONS AND PREPOSITIONS 55
UNIT 12: CONDITIONALS 60
UNIT 13: OTHER POSSIBLE QUESTIONS 66
UNIT 14: REVIEW 69
PRACTICE TEST 72
SESSION 2 – GRAMMAR PRACTICE TESTS 80
UNIT 1: GERUNDS & INFINITIES 80
UNIT 2: AUXILIARY VERBS 84
UNIT 3: SUBJECT – VERB AGREEMENT 88
UNIT 4: VERB FORM AND TENSES 91
UNIT 5: PARTICIPIAL FORMS 93
UNIT 6: COMPARATIVES & SUPERLATIVES 95
UNIT 7: NEGATION 96
UNIT 8: PRONOUNS AND DETERMINERS 98
UNIT 9: ARTICLES 100
UNIT 10: RELATIVE CLAUSES 102
UNIT 11: CONJUNCTIONS & PREPOSITIONS 104
UNIT 12: CONDITIONALS 109
SESSION 3 – ANSWER KEY 111
SESSION 1 – VOCABULARY
UNIT 1: GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES
- Kite [kait] (n.) : a toy which consists of a light frame covered with paper or cloth = cái diều
to fly a kite : thả diều
- Break [breɪk] (v.) : to make something separate into two or more pieces = gãy, vỡ
(n.) : a short period of time when you stop what you are doing and rest = sự nghỉ, sự dừng lại
e.g.: Let's take a break.
- Fight [faɪt] (v.) : if people or animals fight, they hit, kick, or bite each other = đánh nhau
- Soundly [' saʊndli] (adv.) : if you sleep soundly, you sleep well and it is not easy to wake you = (ngủ) ngon lành
- Bartender ['bɑ:tendə(r)] (n.) : sb who serves wine and drinks in a bar or restaurant = người phục vụ ở quầy rượu
- On display [ɒn dɪ'spleɪ] (idm.) : put in a place where people can look at it = on show = được trưng bày
e.g.: A collection of photographs was on display in the hall.
- Tear [teə(r)] (v.) : to damage sth by pulling it apart or into pieces = xé
Tear – Tore [tɔ:(r)] – Torn [tɔ:n]
e.g.: He tore the letter in two.
Tear down [,teə(r) 'daʊn] (phr.v.) : to pull or knock down a building, wall, etc. = giật đỗ
e.g.: They tore down the old houses and built a shopping centre.
- Graffiti [ɡrə'fi:ti] (n.) : drawings or writing on a wall, etc. in a public place = nghệ thuật grafito (hình vẽ, chữ viết lên tường)
e.g.: The subway was covered in graffiti.
- Destroy [dɪ'strɔɪ] (v.) : to damage sth so badly that it no longer exists, etc = phá hủy
e.g.: An earthquake destroyed the town, killing about 20,000 people.
- Construction [kən'strʌkʃn] (n.) : the process of building something large or complicated = sự xây dựng
Under construction : being built = đang được xây dựng
e.g.: Our new offices are still under construction.
- Dresser ['dresə] (n.) : a piece of furniture with cupboards at the bottom and shelves above for holding dishes, cups, etc = tủ bát đĩa
- Check out (of) (phr.v.) : to pay the bill and leave a hotel
= trả phòng khách sạn
e.g.: Guests should check out of their rooms by noon.
# Check in (at) (phr.v.) : to go to a desk in a hotel, an airport, etc. and tell an official there that you have arrived = đăng kí phòng ở khách sạn
e.g.: We've checked in at the hotel.
- Dial ['daɪəl] (v.) : to press the buttons, or to turn the dial, on a telephone in order to call someone = quay số
- Tray [treɪ] (n.) : a flat open container with raised edges used for holding papers, documents, etc = khay tài liệu (dùng để đựng giấy tờ trong văn phòng)
- Folder ['fəʊldə(r)] (n.) : a cardboard or plastic cover for holding loose papers, etc. = bìa đựng giấy/hồ sơ
- Original [ə'rɪdʒənl] (adj.) : new, interesting, and different from anything else = độc đáo
(n.) : a document, work of art, etc. produced for the first time, from which copies are later made = bản gốc
e.g.: Send out the photocopies and keep the original.
- Press [pres] (v.) : to push or squeeze part of a device to make it work = ấn
e.g.: to press a button/switch/key : ấn vào cái nút/công tắc/chìa khóa
- Operate ['ɒpəreɪt] (v.) : to use or control a machine or make it work = vận hành
e.g.: What skills are needed to operate this machinery?
-Load [ləʊd] (v.) : to put a large quantity of things or into sth = nhét
- Resort [rɪ'zɔ:t] (n.) : a place where a lot of people go on holiday = nơi nghỉ mát
- Scuba diving (n.) : the activity of swimming under water with a container of air and a tube for breathing through = việc lặn có mang bình khí ép
to go scuba-diving
- Water polo ['wɔ:tə(r) pəʊləʊ] (n.) :a game played in water by two teams of seven players who get points by throwing a ball into the opponent's goal = môn bóng nước
- Raft [rɑ:ft] (n.) : = cái bè
(v.) : cross a river on a raft = sang (sông) bằng bè
River rafting : sự đi bè trên sông
- Contact ['kɒntækt] (v.) : to communicate with sb, for example by elephone or letter = liên lạc với ai
e.g.: I've been trying to contact you all day.
- Coordinator [kou'ɔ:dineitə(r)] (n.) : a person who is responsible for organizing different things or people so that they work together = điều phối viên
e.g.: The campaign needs an effective coordinator.
Coordinate [kəʊ'ɔ:dɪneɪt] (v.) :to organize the different parts of a job or plan so that the people involved work together effectively = phối hợp
e.g.: They appointed a new manager to coordinate the work of the team.
- Scenic ['si:nik] (adj.) : providing beautiful views of nature = (thuộc) cảnh vật thiên nhiên đẹp đẽ
- Tournament ['tʊənəmənt] (n.) : a sports competition involving a number of teams or players who take part in different games and must leave the competition if they lose. The competition continues until there is only the winner left = vòng thi đấu
e.g.: a golf/tennis/chess tournament
- Sign up [,saɪn 'ʌp] (phr.v.) : join a club = tham gia
- Schedule ['ʃedju:l] (n.) : timetable = biểu thời gian
- Faculty ['fækəlti] (n.) : one department in a university, college = khoa (của trường Đại học hay Cao đẳng)
- Semester [si'mestə] (n.) : one of the two periods that the school or college year is divided into = học kỳ
- Drop by [,drɔp 'baɪ] (phr.v.) : to pay an informal visit to a person or a place= tạt vào thăm, nhân tiện ghé thăm
- Take off [,teɪk 'ɒf] (phr.v.) : (of an aircraft) to leave the ground and begin to fly = cất cánh
# Land [lænd] (v.) : hạ cánh
- Whereabouts ['weərəbaʊts] (n.): a place where sb/sth is =chỗ ở
- Infer [ɪn'fɜ:(r)] (v.) : to form an opinion or decide that sth is true from the information you have = deduce = suy ra
- Deform [di'fɔ:m] (v.) : to change shape in a way that is not attractive or good = distort = làm biến dạng, làm méo mó
e.g.: The disease had deformed his spine.
- Reform [ri'fɔ:m] (v.) : change or improve = sửa đổi, cải cách
- Mop [mɒp] (n.) : a tool for washing floors that has a long handle with a bunch of thick strings or soft material at the end = cây lau nhà
- Force [fɔ:s] (v.) : to compel = ép buộc
- Opposed [ə'pəʊzd] (adj.) : disagreeing strongly with sth and trying to stop it = phản đối
e.g.: He was bitterly opposed to the war.
- Cause [kɔ:z] (v.) : to make sth happen, especially sth bad or unpleasant = gây ra
e.g.: Do they know what caused the fire?
- Order ['ɔ:də(r)] (n.) : a request to make or supply goods = đơn đặt hàng
e.g.: We received an order for two tons of coal.
- Process ['prəʊses] (v.) : to deal officially with a document, request = giải quyết
e.g.: It will take a week for your application to be processed.
- Lawn [lɔ:n] (n.) : an area of ground covered in short grass in a garden/yard or park = bãi cỏ
- Fertilizer ['fə:tilaizə] (n.) : a natural or chemical substance that is put on land or soil to make plants grow better = phân bón
- Root [ru:t] (n.) : the part of a plant that grows under the ground, through which the plant gets water and food = rễ cây
- Strengthen ['streŋθn] (v.) : to become stronger = tăng cường
- Lead [li:d] (v.) : result in = đưa đến, dẫn đến
- Ideal [aɪ'di:əl] (adj.) : perfect = lý tưởng
e.g.: This beach is ideal for children.
- Shrub [∫rʌb] (n.) : a small bush = bụi rậm
- Feature ['fi:tʃə(r)] (n.) : an important part or aspect of something = điểm đặc trưng
- Adjust [ə'dʒʌst] (v.) : to change something slightly in order to make it better, or more effective = điều chỉnh
- Tilt [tilt] (n.) : a position in which one end or side of sth is higher than the other = độ nghiêng
(v.) : to cause to move into a sloping position = làm nghiêng
- Knob [nɒb] (n.) : a round switch on a machine = nút bấm
- Underneath [,ʌndə'ni:θ] (adv.) : under, below = ở dưới
- Lever ['li:və(r)] (n.) : a solid bar, often made of metal, that you put under a heavy object to move it = thanh điều khiển
- Warranty ['wɒrənti] (n.) : a written agreement in which a company selling sth promises to repair or replace it if there is a problem within a particular period of time = guarantee = giấy bảo hành
- Guarantee [,ɡærən'ti:] (v.) : to give a written promise to replace or repair a product free if it goes wrong = bảo hành
e.g.: The machine is still under warranty.
- Cover ['kʌvə(r)] (v.) : include = bao gồm
- Labor ['leɪbə(r)] (n.) : work, especially physical work = lao động
- Unlikely [ʌn'laɪkli] (adj.) : not likely to happen; not probable = không chắc xảy ra
- Assembly [əs'embli] (n.) : the process of building something by putting all its parts together = sự lắp ráp
- Toll [təʊl] (n.) : the sound of a bell ringing with slow regular strokes = tiếng chuông rung
- Appliance [ə'plaɪəns] (n.) : a machine or piece of equipment in your home
= dụng cụ (trong nhà bếp)
- Thanksgiving [,θæŋks'ɡɪvɪŋ] (n.): a public holiday in the US and in Canada when families have a large meal together to celebrate and be thankful for food, health, families etc. = Ngày lễ tạ ơn Chúa (ngày thứ năm cuối cùng của tháng 11)
- Debt [det] (n.) : a sum of money that sb owes = sự nợ
e.g.: He had run up credit card debts of thousands of dollars.
- Familiar [fə'mɪliə(r)] (adj.) : knowing sth very well = biết rõ cái gì
- Interest rate ['intrəst ,reit] (n.) : the percentage amount charged by a bank when you borrow money, or paid to you by a bank when you keep money in an account there = lãi suất
Interest (n.) : tiền lãi
- Citizen ['sɪtɪzn] (n.) : a person who has the legal right to belong to a particular country = công dân
- Source [sɔ:s] (n.) : a thing, place, activity etc. that you get sth from or a person, book, or document that supplies you with information = nguồn (nơi mà từ đó cái gì thu được)
Reliable source of information : nguồn tin tức đáng tin cậy
- Recommend [,rekə'mend] (v.) : to advise someone that they should do something = khuyên bảo
- Significantly [sig'nifikəntli] (adv.) : meaningfully = đáng kể