Chọn phương án thích hợp để hoàn thành mỗi . sau, theo nghĩa của đoạn văn
My favorite sport is swimming. I learned to swim when I was five and I have been to the swimming pool at least twice a week ever since. You do not need much special equipment if you want to learn to swim-only a pair of swimming trunks if you are a boy, or a swimming costume and a cap if you are a girl. When you start you may like to use a ring or some water-wings.
How can you learn to swim? It is best to learn when you are still quite young and some parents even taught their six-month-old babies to swim. It is just a good idea just to play round in the pool for a while until you get used to being in the water. Try to find a good teacher. You must learn to keep your balance in the water and then your teacher will show how to move your arms and legs so that you move along smoothly and easily. As soon as you feel confident in the pool you will quickly start making good progress. Most people learn the breaststroke first and then go on to backstroke and crawl. After that, you can learn to dive. Diving is probably what I like doing most when I go to the pool. I am particularly interested in swimming faster than anyone else but I love trying to dive as gracefully as possible. Swimming is not an expensive sport and it is very good for all the muscles in your body. I would recommend anyone at any age to take up swimming as a hobby.
25. The writer says that ..............
A. he has been to the swimming pool only twice since he was five.
B. he went to the swimming pool twice when he was five.
C. he went to the swimming pool twice a week when he was five.
D. he has been to the swimming pool twice a week since he was five.
26. According to the writer
A. one must use a water-wing for swimming practice.
B. it costs a lot to learn to swim.
C. one must buy a lot of special equipment for swimming practice.
D. special equipment doesn't matter a lot when one learns to swim.
27. The writer advises us to
A. learn to swim under a trainer's guidance.
B· start learning to swim since the age of six.
C. learn to dive before practicing swimming.
D. to keep our arms and legs from moving along in the water
28. The writer likes to
A. play around in the water only B. practise hard so as to become a fast swimmer.
C. practise diving as gracefully as possible D. take part in a swimming contest.
29. The word take up in the passage means:
A. choose B. like C. receive D. get
Chọn từ hoặc cụm từ thích hợp nhất để điền vào ô trống trong đoạn văn sau:
Women's rights establish the same social, economic, and political (30) ____ for women as for men. Women's rights guarantee that women will not (31) ____ discrimination on the basis of their sex. Until the second half of the 20th century, women in most societies were (32)____ some of the legal and political rights accorded to men. Although women in (33)____of the world have gained significant legal rights, many people believe that women still do not have (34)____political, economic, and social equality with men.
Throughout much of the history of Western civilization, (35) ____ cultural beliefs allowed women only limited roles in society. Many people believed that women's natural roles were as (36)____. These people considered women to be better suited (37)____childbearing and homemaking rather than for involvement in the public life of business or politics. Widespread belief that women were intellectually inferior to men led most societies to (38)____ women's education to learning domestic skills. Well-educated, upper-class men controlled most (39)____ of employment and power in society.
A. position B. place C. status D. seat
A. see B. face C. take D. offer
A. given up B. denied C. postponed D. stopped
A. many B. a little C. a few D. much
A. total B. finished C. complete D. full
A. deep /seated B. deep /rooted C, deep / based D. in / depth
A. mothers B. housewives C. wives D. mothers and wives
A. for B. to C. as D. with
A. deny B. limit C. allow D. ban
A. places B. spots C. positions D. regions
Maths is more important than any other subjects
A. No subjects are more important than maths B. Maths is as important as other subjects
C. Maths is the most important subject of all D. Other subjects are as important as maths
41. Where are they going to hold the party?
A. Where is the party going to be held? B. Where is the party going to held?
C. Where is the party going to be hold? D. Where the party is going to be held?
42. Mai eats much chocolate. So she is getting fat.
A. The much chocolate Mai eats, the fatter she is getting.
B. The more chocolate Mai eats, the more fat she is getting.
C. The much chocolate eat Mai, the fatter she is getting.
D. The more chocolate Mai eats, the fatter she is getting.
43. Hoa / intelligent / I / be / as / think / as / not.
I don’t think as intelligent as Hoa is. B. Hoa doesn’t think as intelligent as I am.
C. Hoa is as intelligent as I don’t think. D. Hoa is not as intelligent as I think.
44. When / all / the / preparations / be / complete, / she / feel / happy
A. When all the preparations has been completed, she feels happy.
B. When all the preparations have been completed, she felt happy.
C. When all the preparations have been completed, she will feel happy.
D. When all the preparations been completed, she feels happy.
45. Say / English / be / important / be / of / all / most / the / language
A. English says to be most the important of all language.
B. English is said to be the most important language of all.
C. English is said to be the language most important of all.
D. All of the most important language is said to be English.
Xác định từ / cụm từ có gạch dưới (ứng với A hoặc B, C, D) cần phải sửa để những câu trở thành chính xác.
46. I think the date of the meeting should change again due to bad weather.
47. We were advised not drinking the water in the bottle.
48. If we have a chance to travel abroad, Paris is the first city where we’d like to visit.
49. When I arrived at the club, the students sang an English song on the stage.
50. Mr. Lam is a billionaire. He has money enough to buy anything he wants.
PRACTICE TEST 10
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently.
1. A. lively B. life C. like D. live
2. A. slow B. show C. cow D. blow
3. A. miles B. attends C. drifts D. glows
Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others.
4. A. intimacy B. photographer C. philosophy D. experience
5. A. certificate B. celebrity C. alternative D. argument
Choose one best option to complete each sentence.
6. Wild animals are ……………almost everywhere.
A. serious threatened B. serious threaten C. seriously threaten D. seriously threatened
7. In the past the …………of Olympic Games winner was just a palm branch or an olive crown.
A. honor B. trophy C. effort D. victory
8. The firework went ………..and lightened the sky with colors.
A. off B. out C. on D. away
9. What time did you …………at your office yesterday?
A. come B. arrive C. reach D. leave
10. He …………having stolen the watch from the shop.
A. refused B. accept C. denied D. disapproved
11. …………..some events were cancelled, thousands of people attended the festival
A. Even if B. Even though C. when D. as
12. She will help you …………..she has some free time.
A. how B. what C. when D. where
13. You can rely on my sister in any circumstances. She is really …………………
A. praiseworthy B. dependent C. reliant D. trustworthy
14. I expect …………a postcard from my father in England today.
A. to be receiving B. to receive C. being received D. receiving
15. Maria ………off the light when the doorbell rang.
A. had just turned B. just turned C. was just turning D. would turn
16. It was cold outside. So she …………her coat and went out.
A. turned on B. put on C. switched on D. put off
17. By the time he ……..for Paris, the contract will have completed.
A. has left B. will leave C. leaves D. left.
18. “ …………………….” “ Thanks, I will write to you when I come to London”
A. have a go B. better luck next time!
C. God bless you! D. Have a nice trip
19. “Good luck in exams!” “ ……………..!”
A. I hope so B. you mention it C. Never mind D. you too
20. The letter …………grandma was kept carefully in a box.
A. you wrote B. which you wrote to C. to whom wrote D. which wrote
21. What a pity you didn’t go to the party. If you ……….., it ………….more fun.
A. came / would be B. had come / would be
C. came / would have been D. had come / would have been
22. Bring your jacket with you. It ………..get cold in the evening.
A. can B. may C. must D. would
23. …………….is Maria’s future husband like? He is generous and elegant.
A. How B. Which appearance C. What D. Whose
24. Nobody is ready to go, ………………?
A. are they B. isn’t he C. is he D. aren’t they
25. I like Jim, who is very good at ……………judgments.
A. doing B. giving C. getting D. making
26. Have a nice holiday. Take ………….of yourself.
A. care B. carefulness C. careless D. carefully
27. “Why don’t we go out for a walk?” “ ……………….”
A. Why not B. Yes, please C. Ok, let’s D. Never mind
28. Do you think there is still racial ……….in the world nowadays?
A. discriminate B. discriminating C. discrimination D. discriminative
29. A very nice painting is hung …………the wall in our classroom.
A. on B. at C. above D. over
30. At this time yesterday, what ………………., Mr. Wilkins?
A. were you doing B. did you do C. had you done D. had been doing
Read the following passage carefully and then choose the best option to fit each space.
Clothing habits are a matter of ………….( 31) preference in the United States. Most people are free to wear ……………( 32) they feel comfortable. Business people in large urban areas are ……….( 33) to wear suits or dresses, while clothing in rural areas is less formal. Most Americans tend to dress casually when not in formal or business situations.
When eating, most Americans ……….(34) a fork in the hand with which they write. Americans eat away from home often, and usually they ………….( 35) for their own meals when dinning with friends.
31. A. persons B. person C. personal D. personably
32. A. wherever B. whichever C. whenever D. whatever
33. A. unlikely B. likely C. alike D. like
34. A. take B. bring C. carry D. hold
35. A. get B. order C. pay D. buy
Read the following passage carefully and choose the correct answer by circling its corresponding letter A, B ,C or D.
At the age of 40, Tom Bloch was the head of H& R Block, a huge company that helps people prepare their tax forms. He was very successful. Although Bloch earned a lot of money, he wasn’t very happy. He spent too much time at work and didn’t have enough time to spend with his family. Suddenly, he left H& R Block and became a teacher in a poor neighborhood. “I wanted to ……..help people who didn’t have the opportunities I had,” Bloch explained.
Learning to control the students was hard at first. But the wards- helping children and hearing students say he’s their favorite teacher – are great. And Bloch is able to spend more time with his family.
36. Tom Bloch’s company operated in …………….
A. building blocks B. collecting taxes
C. helping people with tax forms D. helping people in a poor neighborhood
37. He wasn’t very happy because he ……………….
A. didn’t earn much money
B. wasn’t very successful
C. earned a lot of money but he didn’t have time to spend it
D. spent a lot of time for work not for his family
38. Tom Bloch suddenly left his company to ……………
A. retire B. find another opportunity
C. become a teacher D. the head of a school
39. He would like to ………..students of the poor neighborhood to have the opportunities as he had.
A. explain B. help C. talk D. wish
40. Tom Bloch is very happy now because he ……………..
A. is a successful businessman B. earns more money than before
C. spends more money for his family D. is a favorite teacher and spends more time with his family
Choose one option A, B, C or D corresponding to the sentence which has the same meaning as the original one.
41. People believe that there is another world after Death.
A. That there is another world after Death is believed by people
B. It was believed that there is another world after Death
C. It is believed that there is another world after Death
D. There is believed to have another world after Death
42. “How much did you drink at the party last night” they asked him
A. They asked him how much did he drink at the party last night
B. They asked him how much I drank at the party the night before.
C. They asked him how much I had drunk at the party the night before.
D. They asked him how much he had drunk at the party the night before.
43. I am always busy but I manage to spend half an hour playing with my son everyday.
A. Although I am always busy but I manage to spend half an hour playing with my son everyday.
B. Although I am always busy I manage to spend half an hour playing with my son everyday
C. However I am always busy I manage to spend half an hour playing with my son everyday
D. I am always busy, therefore I manage to spend half an hour playing with my son everyday
44. He tries to practice English everyday so he can speak English more fluently now.
A. The more he practices English, the more he can speak English.
B. The more he practices English, the more fluently he can speak it.
C. The more he tries to practice English, the most fluently he can speak it.
D. He tries to practice English everyday, but he finds it difficult to speak English fluently.
45. I am very excited about seeing you next week.
A. I am looking forward to seeing you next week.
B. I am happy about seeing you next week.
C. I am waiting to seeing you next week with excitement.
D. You are excited about seeing next week.
In these sentences, each one has four underlined words or phrases marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the one word or phrase which must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct.
46. Peter couldn’t stay on the horse’s back and neither Bob could.
A B C D
47. I feel safely to tell him my secrets.
A B C D
48. No matter what different, various music types have one thing in common : touching the hearts of the listeners.
A B C D
49. The more careful you drive, the fewer accidents you will have.
A B C D
50. Having punished twice this week, Kate feels ashamed of her bad behaviour.
A B C D
PRACTICE TEST 11
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently
1. A- worked B- determined C- stopped D- missed
2. A- fills B- walks C- helps D- cuts
3. A- chain B- machine C- achieve D- change
Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others.
4. A- writer B- teacher C- career D- children
5. A- attention B- attractive C- historic D- chemistry
Choose one best option to complete each sentence.
6. I’ll come and see you before I ______ for the United States of America.
A- leave B- will leave C- have left D- will have left
7. We ______ Dorothy since last Saturday.
A- don’t see B- didn’t see C- haven’t seen D- hadn’t seen
8. She isn’t ______ well with the new manager.
A- going on B- getting on C- keeping on D- taking on
9. Jean ______ stealing the money.
A- refused B- confessed C- recognized D- denied
10. She has worked as a secretary ______ she graduated from university.
A- since B- until C- before D- while
11. The bicycle you lent me needed ______.
A- to clean B- clean C- cleaning D- to be cleaning
12. ______ the heavy rain, he went out without a raincoat.
A- Although B- However C- Because of D- Despite
13. I regret ______ you that your application has been denied.
A- inform B- to inform C- informing D- to have informed
14. Success should not be measured solely by ______ achievement.
A- educated B- educating C- educational D- education
15. I’m looking for ______ job. Did Mary get ______ job she applied for?
A- a/ the B- a/ a C- the/ a D- the/ the
16. If I ______ to the party last night, I ______ tired now.
A- went/ would be B- had gone/ would have been
C- went/ would have been D- had gone/ would be
17. If you don’t know what a word means, look it ______ in the dictionary.
A- over B- up C- after D- at
18. “What do you think of his presence here?” _ “The longer he stays, ____ I dislike him.”
A- the more B- the most C- much more D- the very more
19. James ______ the best drummer of the school band.
A- is said to be B- said to be C- is said being D- was saying to be
20. Many counties have passed laws restricting hunting and fishing to protect ______.
A- the natural environment B- wildlife
C- fish D- the resources
21. These days ______ people are learning English.
A- many and many B- much and much C- more and more D- few and few
22. He’s my sister’s son. He’s my ______.
A- cousin B- friend C- niece D- nephew
23. Susan is a good ______. She is usually praised by her boss.
A- employee B- employer C- employment D- director
24. ______ is a serious shortage of food in a country which may cause many deaths.
A- Hunger B- Famine C- Drought D- Food production
25. The 11:45 train left ______.
A- at time B- in time C- on time D- by the time
26. She can’t get home ______ she has no money.
A- without B- so C- unless D- if
27. They congratulated him ______ his success.
A- about B- on C- toward D- with
28. You ______ wash these tomatoes. They’ve already washed.
A- mustn’t B- needn’t C- can’t D- won’t
29. - Anne: “Thanks for the nice gift!” - John: “_______.”
A- You’re welcome B- I’m glad you like it
C- In fact, I myself don’t like it D- But do you know how much it costs
30. - Laura: “What a lovely house you have!” - Maria: “_______.”
A- No problem B- I think so
C- Of course not, it’s not costly D- Thank you. Hope you will drop in
31. If the doctor had arrived sooner, ______.
A- the boy might be saved B- the boy might have saved
C- the boy might have been saved D- the boy was saved
32. Ask her ______ to leave.
A- when she plans B-when does she plan
C- when did she plan D- when does she plans
33. The house ______ isn’t for sale.
A- in which we live B- where we live in
C- which we live D- in which we live in
34. “Who is the new teacher?” _ “He’s the man ______.”
A- which is talking to Ms. Lan now B- that talks to Ms. Lan now
C- is talking to Ms. Lan now D- talking to Ms. Lan now
Choose the sentence has the same meaning with the provided one
35. We felt tired because of the hot weather.
A- The hot weather made that we felt tired. B- The weather was so hot that we felt tired.
C- The weather made us to feel tired. D- We felt tired, so the weather was hot.
36. Although they have little money, they are happy.
A- They have little money, so they are happy.
B- They don’t have much money and they aren’t happy.
C- They are happy in spite of not having much money.
D- Their happiness is due to the fact that they have little money.
37. “Shall I bring you some food?” he said to me.
A- He offered to bring me some food. B- He invited me to eat some food.
C- He told me to bring him some food. D- He advised me to bring some food.
Choose the underlined part (a,b, c, or d) that needs correcting:
38. My best friend, that we see every day, always has something new to tell me.
A B C D
39. The boy took his dog for a walk after he has finished his homework.
A B C D
40. Last night I went to the cinema with a friend of my.
A B C D
Read the passage carefully and then choose the best answer.
The earth’s surface is two-thirds water, yet most of this is undrinkable or unusable because it is either seawater or ice. Of the 1% that is available as fresh water, most is used for farming or industry. Fresh water pollution is the major problem because many rivers and streams are being polluted with pesticides, industrial waste, and sewage. In poor and developing countries, the addition of sewage to the sources of water leads to diseases, and even death. A United Nations’ report estimates that more than 78% of people drink from polluted water supplies. Although people made efforts to control the supply of fresh water, they are also polluting it.
41. What is the main idea of the paragraph?
A- Undrinkable water B- Water pollution
C- No fresh water D- Seawater and ice
42. Which sentence is true?
A- There is no fresh water on the earth’s surface. B- All water is drinkable.
C- Fresh water pollution never happens. D- Fresh water is being polluted.
43. Which make fresh water polluted?
A- ice B- seawater
C- rivers and streams D- pesticides, industrial waste, and sewage
44. In the poor and developing countries ______.
A- water pollution may lead to diseases and even deaths
B- there is no polluted water
C- people can use as much as water as they want
D- pollution never happens