THE PRIME MINISTER
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, January 21, 2010
APPROVING THE DETAILED PLANNING ON THE EASTERN NORTH-SOUTH EXPRESSWAY
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the Planning on development of Vietnam's expressway network through 2010, with a vision beyond 2020;
At the proposal of the Minister of Transport in Report No. 6803/TTr-BGTVT of September 30, 2009, on the detailed planning on the North-South expressway.
Article 1. To approve the detailed planning on the eastern North-South expressway, with the following principal contents:
A. VIEWPOINTS AND OBJECTIVES:
- The eastern North-South expressway running from Hanoi to Can Tho city constitutes a part of the Vietnam's expressway network approved by the Prime Minister in Decision No. 1734/QD-TTg of December 1, 2008.
- The detailed planning on the eastern North-South expressway aims to link already constructed and in-progress road projects and. at the same time, serves as a basis for ministries, branches and localities to elaborate socioeconomic development plannings, construction plannings, land-use planning and other relevant plannings.
- The eastern North-South expressway route will be soon formed to connect key economic centers and important transport hubs and create a high possibility for integrating with other modes of transport (railways, seaports and airports) to improve the transport capability in the North-South corridor, meet socio-economic development demands and tackle traffic congestion along National Highway 1. especially in the gateways to big urban centers;
- The expressway is planned on a complete scale. Construction investment may be phased out in conformity with transport flow and the fund raising capacity but in the first phase, it is required to build at least 4 lanes and manage land funds for the expansion of the expressway in the subsequent phases.
B. PLANNING CONTENTS
I. ROUTE DIRECTION
- Starting point: Phap Van intersection (the intersection between Hanoi city's belt road 3 and Phap Van - Gie bridge expressway).
- Ending point: Can Tho. In the immediate future, the expressway will be connected to Cha Va intersection to the north of Can Tho bridge. In the subsequent phases, it will be linked with Quan Lo - Phung Hiep road leading to Ca Mau.
- Route direction:
The route direction of each section is detailed as follows:
1. Phap Van - Gie bridge section (following the direction of the 4-high speed lane road section
to be built in the first phase)
From Phap Van intersection (the intersection between Hanoi city's belt road 3 and Phap Van -Gie bridge expressway), the road section will run along the old National Highway 1A in the east, about 1-1.5 km away from the old National Highway 1 A. through Yen So and the communes of Tu Hiep. Ngu Hiep and Lien Ninh (Thanh Tri district); Lien Phuong. Quat Dong. Thang Loi. To Hieu. Van Diem and Minh Cuong communes (Thuong Tin district) and Phu Minh commune (Phu Xuyen district) and end at km 210 (the new National Highway 1A chainage) in Phap Van -Gie bridge section.
The length of the section will be 30 km.
2. Gie bridge - Ninh Binh section (following the direction of the 6-lane road section under construction)
Starting from km 210 (the new National Highway 1A chainage) in Phap Van - Gie bridge section, the section will turn left and intersect National Highway 38 at Vuc Vong (about 2 km away from the T-junction between National Highway 1A and National Highway 38 in the direction to Yen Lcnh bridge). It will span Chau Giang river heading lo the south of Phu Ly city, cross National Highway 21A and Thong Nhat railway, go to the east of National Highway 1A and intersect National Highway 10 at Cao Bo intersection (km 131+477 in the National Highway 10 chainage).
The length of the section will be 50 km.
3. Ninh Binh - Thanh Hoa (Nghi Son) section
Starting at Cao Bo intersection (the intersection between Gie bridge - Ninh Binh expressway (phase 1) and National Highway 10). the section will span Day river at the downstream side of Ninh Phuc port, run along the built Ninh Binh city detour and intersect National Highway 1A and Thong Nhat railway in the Vo bridge area in National Highway 1 A. heading to the west of National Highway 1A.
The section will intersect National Highway 12B in a place about 3 km away from Genh T-function in Yen Thinh village, Yen Binh commune, and run toward the northwest of Tarn Diep cement plant. It will pass Tarn Diep mountain range to Ha Trung agricultural farm, running outside the planned area of Bim Son town, and intersect provincial Road 512 leading to the west of Tarn Quy bassia forest nature reserve. It will intersect National Highway 217 in Ha Linh commune, span the Ma river system near Bong estuary and Do mount in the west of Thanh Hoa city. It will intersect National Highways 45 and 47. go toward the west of Thong Nhat railway, span Yen My lake and end at the intersection with Nghi Son - Bai Tranh road (under the Ho Chi Minh road projects).
The length of the section will be about 121 km.
4. Thanh Hoa (Nghi Son) - Ha Tinh (Hong Linn town) section
From the intersection with Nghi Son - Bai Tranh road section, the section will go up Mong Ga mount, span Hoang Mai river and go up Ba Chop mount in the area between Khe May lake and Dong Lam lake. It will turn right and intersect provincial Road 573. cross Cau Giat - Nghia Dan railway and intersect National Highway 48 in Dicn Hoai commune. It will further run along National Highway 1A in the west, over 2 km away from National Highway 1A, and intersect provincial Road 538 and then National Highway 7 in the area west of Tan Huong village. It will run through the creek between Ong mount and Muc mount, pass Than Vu mount to the west of O O lake and run through Nghi My commune of Nghi Loc district. It will intersect provincial Road 534 and span Cam River's tributaries in Nghi Cong Bac and Nghi Cong Nam communes of Nghi Loc district.
In Hung Nguyen district area, the section will run through Hung Yen and HungTay communes, intersecting National Highway 46 in Hung Dao commune to the west of the Vinh city detour. It will intersect provincial Road 558. cross Thong Nhat railway in Hung Tien commune of Hung Nguyen district, then go straight, passing the creek between Thanh mount and Non mount, span Lam river and intersect National Highway 8A in Due Thinh commune. Due Tho district. Ha Tinh province.
The length of the section will be 97 km.
5. Ha Tinh (Hong Linh town) - Quang Binh (Bung) section:
From the intersection with National Highway 8A. the section will go straight through Due Thuy and run along National Highway 15A in the east. It will intersect provincial Road 6, go to the east of Dong Loc T-junction relic, intersect provincial Roads 2. 3 and 17, go to the east of Ke Go reservoir and run to Ky Phong through Cam Son and Cam Lac. From Ky Phong, it will run through Ky Van. intersect the road from Vung Ang port to Laos, go along 500-kV power line and Kim Son lake in the west and follow the direction of provincial Road 22 to the west of Vuc Tron lake through Quang Tien, Quang Luu and Quang Truong. It will intersect National Highway 12A, span Gianh river in Con Ngua area, cross the North-South railway route to Tan Thanh and then join Ho Chi Minh road in the south of Bung bridge in BoTrach district. Quang Binh province.
The length of the section will be about 145 km.
6. Quang Binh (Bung) - Quang Tri (Cam Lo) section
The section will follow the direction of Ho Chi Minh road, of which the first-phase construction has been completed, running through Con. Long Dai, My Due and Ben Quan.
The detour section will start in Quyet Thang. then turn right and run downstream Phu Vinh dam. along the 5()()-kV power line to the west through Dong Son ward and join Ho Chi Minh road at Khe Cu bridge. The length of the detour will be about 10 km.
The length of the whole section will be about 117 km.
7. Quang Tri (Cam Lo) - Da Nang (Tuy Loan) section
From the intersection with National Highway 9. the section will head to Nghia Hy dam, span Thach Han river at a place about 3 km upstream from Tram dam, run across the area of Truong Phuoc mount and span My Chanh and O Lau rivers to Hoa My. From this point, the section will skirt the mountain foot, span Bo river and go to the intersection with provincial Road 16. It will skirt the mountain foot joining Hue city detour for 15.5 km (which has been built up to grade-Ill delta road standards). It will go round the microorganism fertilizer plant. Hue city cemetery and military camps, run along the mountain sides and cross Khe Lu lakebed in the upstream to the intersection with provincial Road 14B (La Son). The section will run along the existing provincial Road 14B in the right side to km 13. and then run through La Hy pass to Khe Tre. From Khe Tre, the section will run through the buffer zone of Bach Ma national park, enter Da Nang city, cross De Bay and Mui Trau passes and join South Hai Van - Tuy Loan (Hoa Lien) expressway. From Hoa Lien, it will overlap the road project connecting South Hai Van and Tuy Loan.
The length of the section will be about 182.48 km (including 15.5 km overlapping the Hue city detour and 14 km overlapping the road from South Hai Van to Tuy Loan).
8. Da Nang - Quang Ngai section
From the starting point at Tuy Loan township, Hoa Vang district, Da Nang city, the section will run along National Highway 1A and Thong Nhat railway in the west, span Tuy Loan and Yen rivers, go round Dien Tien - Dien Ban industrial park to the west and run along Bo Bo mount foot. It will span Thu Bon river in the upstream of Ky Lam bridge on the North-South railway. After spanning Thu Bon river, it will turn right and span Ba Ren river and provincial Road 610.
From My Son intersection, the section will turn left, pass Eo mount heading to the intersection with provincial Road 616. From this point, it will go along the hill ranges to the west of Nui Thanh township, head to the downstream of Ho May dam then turn right and run along the North-South railway to Dung Quat intersection.
From Dung Quat intersection, the section will turn left and span Tra Bong river to Binh Son intersection. From this intersection, it will run to the west of Tinh Tho and Tinh Ha communes, intersect provincial Road 623B. span Tra Khuc river, intersect provincial Road 623 and join the belt road of Quang Ngai city.
The length of the section will be about 130 km.
9. Quang Ngai - Binh Dinh section
From the intersection with the ending point of Da Nang - Quang Ngai section, the section will go to the west of National Highway 1A and Thong Nhat railway route, run through Cho Chua township and Hanh Due and Hanh Phuoc communes and span Ve river to Hanh Thinh. From Hanh Thinh, the section will turn left, intersect provincial Road 628 and National Highway 24 in Hiep An. It will further run through Pho Ninh, Pho Hoa and Pho Cuong and pass Chu mount to Hoai Son commune (Tarn Quan district. Binh Dinh province). It will run through Hoai Phu, Hoai Hao and Hoai Thanh Tay communes (Hoai Nhon district, Binh Dinh province) and span Lai Giang river at a place about 1 km upstream from Lai Giang dam toward Hoai An district. The section will run near Tang Bat Ho township, cross the creek between Don Dong and Hoan Xay mounts, intersect provincial Road 631 and run through An Tuong Dong commune. It will further run along the foot of the mountain range, cross Ong mount creek and skirt the Giang mount foot to My Hoa commune. It will run across My Hiep commune, intersect provincial Road 643 to the west of Mot mount. From Phu Cat. it will turn right, run toward the west of Phu Cat airport and intersect provincial Road 636. The section will span Con river in Tay Vinh and Nhon Phuc communes, intersect Provincial Road 636B and run along the Cha Ray and Thorn mount sides to the intersection with National Highway 19 in Nhon Tan commune, An Nhon districts of Binh Dinh province.
The length of the section will be 169.5 km.
10. Binh Dinh - Nha Trang section
From the intersection with National Highway 19, the section will span An Tuong river and go across the creek between Dung and Ong Dau mounts. It will pass Thong Nhat railway and provincial Road 638 and span Ha Thanh river to the north of Tan Vinh station. It will further run along the left bank of Ha Thanh river toward the east of Van Canh township, cross Muc Thinh pass to Phu Yen province. The section will run along Thong Nhat railway and provincial Road 641 in the east to Xuan Long commune and further run toward the east of La Hai township. It will span Ky Lo river, intersect provincial Road (>41 and Thong Nhat railway, enter Xuan Son Nam commune and head to National Highway 1 A. The section will run along National Highway 1A in the east, link with Tuy Hoa detour, intersect National Highway 25 and span Da Rang river on Da Rang bridge. It will run through Hoa Xuan Tay commune to the downstream of Han hydroelectric dam and join Ca and Co Ma pass tunnels. It will continue running along National Highway 1A in the west to the downstream of Hoa Son dam. go along the mountain sides through Van Binh. Van Phu, Van Luong and Van Hung communes (Van Ninh district. Khanh Hoa province) and Ninh Trung, Ninh Than and Ninh Xuan communes, intersect National Highway 26 at a place about 1 km away from Ninh Hoa sugar plant to the west, go along Suoi Trau lake and through Khanh Binh (Khanh Vinh) and Dien Xuan and intersect provincial Road 65-22 (provincial Road 2) in Dien Tho commune, Dien Khanh district of Khanh Hoa province.
The length of the section will be about 215 km.
11. Nha Trang -. Phan Thiet section
From the intersection with provincial Road 65-22, the section will go to the west of National Highway 1A through Dien Loc and Suoi Tien communes (Dien Khanh), Suoi Cat and Suoi Tan communes (Cam Lam) to the west of Suoi Dau industrial park and Cam Ranh Thuong lake and head to Cam Hiep commune. The section will cross Da Ma mount creek to Cam An Bac and Cam Phuoc Tay communes and run along eastern side of Hong Ong mount to Cam Thinh Tay. The section will continue running along the western side of Ba Tu and Hon Dung mounts in Cam Thinh Tay commune (Cam Ranh) and along the eastern side of Giac Lan. Ba Rau, Co Lo and Ong Ngai mountain ranges to Phuoc Trung commune and go to the west of Thanh Son airport. The section will intersect National Highway 27. span Dinh (Cai) river on Nhan Hoi bridge, enter Phuoc Son commune, go straight to Nhi Ha commune and run through Vung mount in a tunnel to Binh Thuan province. The section will continue running along Thong Nhat railway and the express railway in the west which is expected to run through Phong Phu. Hai Ninh, Song Luy. Binh Tan. Hong Liem and Ham Tri communes (Ham Thuan Bac). The section will intersect National Highway 28 at a place about 1 km away from Ma Lam township (Ham Thuan Bac) to the north, run through Thuan Minh commune, cross Thong Nhat railway and the railway to Phan Thiet and join National Highway lA's section to My Thanh to the west of Ham Kiem 1 industrial park.
The length of the road section will be about 226 km.
12. Phan Thiet - Dau Giay section
From the intersection with the National Highway 1 A's section heading to My Thanh, the section will go to the south of Du Du lake and then the north of Tan Lap lake and intersect the extended National Highway 55 at a place near the office of the People's Committee of Song Phan commune. The section will intersect provincial Road 720. head to the north of the planned Tan Due industrial park and intersect National Highway 1A in the south of Xuan Loc industrial park. It will intersect provincial Road 765 at a place south of National Highway 1A in Suoi Cat commune, intersect the road connecting National Highway 1A (Bao Dinh) and Vong Spring Lake in Xuan Bao. intersect National Highway 56 near the boundary between Long Khanh town and Cam My district and join Ho Chi Minh City - Long Thanh - Dau Giay expressway at km 43 (Ho Chi Minh City - Long Thanh - Dau Giay expressway chainage).
The length of the section will be about 98 km.
13. Dau Giay - Long Thanh section
From Dau Giay intersection in Ho Chi Minh City-Long Thanh-Dau Giay expressway (the ending point of Phan Thiet - Dau Giay section), the section will run in the direction this expressway to the intersection with Ho Chi Minh City-Bien Hoa-Vung Tau expressway (km 24+450 of Ho Chi Minh City - Long Thanh -Dau Giay expressway and km 16+730 of Bien Hoa - Vung Tau expressway) and run along Bien Hoa - Vung Tau expressway to Long Thanh intersection at km 29 of this expressway (the starting point of the southern inter-regional expressway from Long Thanh to Ben Luc).
The length of the section will be about 43 km.
14. Long Thanh - Ben Luc section
From the intersection with Bien Hoa - Vung Tau expressway (km 29 of Bien Hoa-Vung Tau expressway), the section will span Thi Vai river, go along the planned belt road of Nhon Trach city, run in the left side of 200 KV and 500 KV power lines to Phuoc Khanh, span Long Tau river on Phuoc Khanh bridge and intersect provincial Road 15 at a place near Binh Khanh primary school. It will further run along the right side of 200 KV and 500 KV power lines, span Soai Rap river and Ba Minh. Ban Dua. Thay Cai. Ong Luong and Ba Lao canals, go to the south of Da Phuoc wastewater treatment plant, intersect National Highway 50. span Can Giuoc river, intersect National Highway 1A at km 1923+700 and join Ho Chi Minh City - Trung Luong expressway in the south of Clio Dem intersection (about 2.9 km south of Cho Dem intersection).
The length of the section will be about 58 km.
15. Ben Luc - Trung Luong section
The section will follow the Ho Chi Minh City - Trung Luong expessway which is in progress.
Starting from Cho Dem intersection in Binh Chanh district of Ho Chi Minh city, the section will run along National Highway 1A in the west, about 1.5-4 km away from National Highway 1 A. It will span Vam Co Dong and Vam Co Tay rivers on Ben Luc and new Tan An bridges, respectively, and run to Than Cuu Nghia intersection in Chau Thanh commune, Tien Giang province.
The length of the section will be about 37 km.
16. Trung Luong - My Thuan - Can Tho section
From Trung Luong to Bac My Thuan, the road will basically parallel National Highway 1A in the west. For the section through My Thuan bridge, in the immediate future, to use the existing road and bridge built under My Thuan bridge project with a length of about 2 km. In the future, to study and build a new road and bridge for the expressway in the upstream of the existing My Thuan bridge.
From the south of My Thuan bridge to Can Tho. the section will run along National Highway 1A in the west, with an average distance of about 3 km from National Highway 1A.
The section will end at Cha Va intersection (the intersection with National Highway 1A, the starting point of Can Tho bridge project).
The length of the section will be about 92 km.
II. SCOPE AND TECHNICAL STANDARDS
The total length of the expressway from Hanoi to Can Tho (excluding Can Tho bridge project) is about 1,811 km. The length of each section of the eastern North-South expressway as well as their planning scope and applicable technical standard are presented in Appendix I to this Decision.
In order to manage the expressway, 3 regional administration centers will be built in the northern, central and southern regions. These centers will collaborate with road section administrators in general administration and monitoring the operation of the entire eastern North-South expressway in particular and the national expressway network in general.
III. OCCUPIED LAND AREAS
The areas of land to be used for the eastern North-South expressway in each province and city are listed in Appendix II to this Decision.
IV. IMPLEMENTATION SCHEDULE
Based on the estimated transport demands and socio-economic development situation, the investment duration and construction schedules for eastern North-South expressway sections are presented in the Appendix III to this Decision.
Depending on specific socio-economic development situation in each period, the construction schedule of each section may be adjusted as appropriate.
V. INVESTMENT CAPITAL DEMANDS
- In the period from now to 2020: To build 1,469 km (including the expanded Phap Van -Gie bridge section) with a total investment capital of about VND 272.600 billion.
- The period after 2020: To build 342 km (including the expanded Dau Giay - Long Thanh and Ben Luc -Trung Luong sections) with a total investment capital of about VND 68.723 billion.
- The total investment capital for the construction of 1.811 km of the eastern North-South expressway is about VND 312.862 billion.
VI. INVESTMENT CAPITAL SOURCES
Investment capital for the construction of the eastern North-South expressway will be mobilized from the following sources:
- Investment capital from the state budget in the form of Government loans or Government-guaranteed loans;
- Capital raised by investors for investment in the forms of BOT (Build-Operate-Transfer). BTO (Build-Transfer), BT (Build-Transfer) and PPP (Public-Private Partnership) with partial contributions from the state budget.
Article 2. Organization of implementation
1. The Ministry of Transport shall:
- Complete as soon as possible and submit the strategic environmental impact assessment report for approval according to regulations;
- Take responsibility for the management and implementation of this Planning;
- Formulate projects on the construction of road sections for use as a basis for calling for investment capital and planting landmarks and assigning these landmarks to local administrations for management.
2. Concerned ministries and branches shall, based on their functions, tasks and powers, coordinate with the Ministry of Transport and provincial-level People's Committees in fulfilling tasks and objectives set in this Planning, ensuring the consistency and harmony with the Strategy on development of Vietnam's socioeconomic development up to 2020. with a vision beyond 2020 and socio-economic development plans of each branch and locality.
3. Provincial-level People's Committees shall:
- Coordinate with the Ministry of Transport in managing the implementation of this Planning and construct sections of the eastern North-South expressway according to Planning;
- Review and adjust plannings and projects in their localities to make them consistent with this Planning;
- Approve and decide according to their competence the change of land use purposes for the construction of the expressway according to the Land Law; and strictly manage land funds for the implementation of the Planning.
Article 3. This Decision takes effect on February 1, 2010, and has 3 appendices.
Article 4. Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies, and chairpersons of provincial-level People's Committees shall implement this Decision